Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times

Advertisements

I've noticed some colleges are starting new programs in "Nanoscience."

Does anyone have experience in this field? For years, I've heard about futuristic, nanoscientific applications in consumer goods, bio/agriculture, medical/pharmaceutical, energy, etc... Are these products finally coming to market on a larger scale?

Will Nanoscience be the next high-demand field (or is it already?)? Is there a worker shortage? What industries employ Nanoscientists and what are the most in-demand applications?

I've been thinking about going back to school for Masters/PhD in Biology. Are there any good programs for Biology w/nanoscience emphasis?

I'm just really curious about this field...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 01:24 PM

153 posts, read 689,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Does anyone have experience in this field? For years, I've heard about futuristic, nanoscientific applications in consumer goods, bio/agriculture, medical/pharmaceutical, energy, etc... Are these products finally coming to market on a larger scale?
Will Nanoscience be the next high-demand field (or is it already?)? Is there a worker shortage? What industries employ Nanoscientists and what are the most in-demand applications?
I've been thinking about going back to school for Masters/PhD in Biology. Are there any good programs for Biology w/nanoscience emphasis?
These are very broad questions. There are a variety of applications of nanoscience currently in the marketplace, ranging from medical imaging to solar power to thermoelectric devices. However, most people who work in these areas don't necessarily have a PhD in 'nanoscience'. Their degrees range from biology to chemistry to physics to any of a variety of fields of engineering, with research focusing on a particular aspect of nanostructured materials. I don't know much about biology--my work focuses on nano-optics--but I'll go ahead and put a plug in for Vanderbilt. We've got a great medical school, and excellent nanofabrication facilities. What is your undergrad degree in?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben52284 View Post
These are very broad questions. There are a variety of applications of nanoscience currently in the marketplace, ranging from medical imaging to solar power to thermoelectric devices. However, most people who work in these areas don't necessarily have a PhD in 'nanoscience'. Their degrees range from biology to chemistry to physics to any of a variety of fields of engineering, with research focusing on a particular aspect of nanostructured materials. I don't know much about biology--my work focuses on nano-optics--but I'll go ahead and put a plug in for Vanderbilt. We've got a great medical school, and excellent nanofabrication facilities. What is your undergrad degree in?
Thanks for the feedback... My undergrad was in mech. engineering and marketing (received many years ago - though I'm not that old). I have only worked in the Engineering Sales & Marketing fields (no R&D).

I am at a point in my career where I have the time/funds to make a move to a different field. I have always regretted not getting into Biology (I've always been an armchair biologist and love research/teaching). I've also seen some "Nanoscience" programs offered at nearby schools (e.g. Northwestern).

Yes, this is all very broad right now as I've just started researching the different paths... If I had to narrow it down, I'd say I'm most interested in nanoscientific research in biological materials in the environmental, agriculture/botany, and perhaps pharmaceutical fields.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:14 PM

153 posts, read 689,322 times
There are certainly some great groups at Northwestern--Van Duyne is about as about as big a name as there is in nano, and Teri Odom is churning out some nice papers. Neither is necessarily bio-oriented, though I believe both have done some form of SERS or plasmonic biomolecular detection.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:49 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,094 times
Quote:
I've noticed some colleges are starting new programs in "Nanoscience."

I'm just really curious about this field...
We have a presentation last semester from Texas A&M. The person in charge was a PhD and he worked with people specialized in Engineering, Biol, Chem and Phys, using nanotechnology to purify water here in TX. (He said there were multiple uses for that, even in the toy industry, and he said he expects a boom in 10 years)

I know it's very general info but probably you could find more contacting TAMU Science Department. They should know about other programs in other universities, etc.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
We have a presentation last semester from Texas A&M. The person in charge was a PhD and he worked with people specialized in Engineering, Biol, Chem and Phys, using nanotechnology to purify water here in TX. (He said there were multiple uses for that, even in the toy industry, and he said he expects a boom in 10 years)

I know it's very general info but probably you could find more contacting TAMU Science Department. They should know about other programs in other universities, etc.
Thanks Ben and DFW for the posts! This is really cool stuff... I'm also interested in Aquatic Biology (made a previous post on this) and water quality/purification. Coincidently, I'm currently working with a philanthropy on this and know engineers in the field. Using the nanotechnology for water purification is very interesting to me. I'll look for more info at TAMU....

Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Site I found w/lots of good info on Nanoscience field and degree programs...

NanoEd Resource Portal - Degree Programs / Browse by Degree Type

Old 09-05-2009, 10:22 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,094 times
Quote:
more info at TAMU....
Boulanger, Bryan
979-845-9782
bboulanger@civil.tamu.edu

This is the professor I was telling you. Maybe this info will help you

Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
Nanotechnology & science, like many new and potentially revolutionary fields/subjects, can be exactly that - revolutionary,,, but, they could take off immediately, or be some time down the road, and by then merge and/or transform into something radically different. Reason I state this, is that years ago, I recall this coming on the horizon - the next great thing... and here we are, and, for better or worse, its still not quite there. However, some of this is due to a potentially real concern - make items so small, how can you then properly and safely control them? Anyhow, yes, this can be indeed a great field - few years ago, attended a nanotechnology conference in CA put on by NASA; was very inspiring, awesome, and grand.

Anyhow, here are some sites to gander upon for further knowledge:
NASA - Nanotechnology
Center for Nanotechnology
Nanomaterials could have a huge impact on environment and health - 9/1/2009 - Packaging Digest (http://www.packagingdigest.com/article/CA6686153.html?industryid=47537 - broken link)
Nanotechnology/Nanoscience (http://www.ostc.uiowa.edu/nano.htm - broken link)

Somewhat dated, but gives an understanding of where the path has taken so far:
Nanotechnology: views of Scientists and Engineer
NASA applications of molecular nanotechnology

Good luck

Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 AM

DFWGal and ShadowCaver, Thanks so much for the great info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities