Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:10 AM

691 posts, read 2,329,036 times

Advertisements

How to become a professor:
1. Learn how to suck up to other professors, as they will be needed to write recommendations for you for graduate school, and this will be good practice for you, when you are employed, and have to suck up to get tenure.
2. Pick a relevent topic, and start doing research, and writing journal articles about this topic, so that you are a "go to" expert in this field. This will bulk up your resume, and make you lucrative in regards to attracting research and grant money to you. Relevant fields now: Anything to do with elderly, medical field, worker burn out among medical staff, try to find something that is new, and edgy. For example, youth violence, is already passe, you will not be a 'go-to" because everyone already knows that.
3.Have parents that will support you, while you go to grad school, and get your PhD, because you will need that, to move up in academia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Two, PhD's are not necessary in community colleges. In fact, they might not even help in the pursuit of a job.
At the CC where I work, all new tenure track hires for non-vocational programs in the past 8 or so years have had PhDs or other terminal degrees and most of them have come from top third programs. And while my area has hit the top of assorted quality of life lists over the years, it's not a place where you make an effort to end up teaching/working.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Personally, I "dropped out" in the middle of graduate school and walked away with just a MS because I realized finishing (another good 2-3 years) was going to do little for me.
Was it your field/program, or are you done with school all together?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Was it your field/program, or are you done with school all together?
I left school "all together", I have no plans to waste further time in school or work any further in higher education.

I don't regret going to graduate school though, because my undergrad education was from a good but large public research university that left me lacking some fundamentals. But continuing would have been a waste of time, it would have been for status, delaying reality and things of that nature.

I don't have a positive view of academia though, its largely filled with sheltered people that cling to insipid ideas because they would otherwise have nothing to write about. One trick ponies, its almost sad.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I left school "all together", I have no plans to waste further time in school or work any further in higher education.

I don't regret going to graduate school though, because my undergrad education was from a good but large public research university that left me lacking some fundamentals. But continuing would have been a waste of time, it would have been for status, delaying reality and things of that nature.
Agreed on all counts. One of my main reasons for wanting a phd, at this point, is related to pride/status. Since entering industry 2 years ago I've come to realize that the education itself can be obtained in industry. I would also wager that more can be accomplished in industry vs uni. OTOH, uni is less stressful, imo. I don't blame anyone for wanting to delay reality.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
If you go to a good university with honorable professors you will not have to "suck up". I'm not talking about top tier because those professors are very uppity and enjoy the brown-nosing and mini-fan clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
How to become a professor:
1. Learn how to suck up to other professors, as they will be needed to write recommendations for you for graduate school, and this will be good practice for you, when you are employed, and have to suck up to get tenure.
2. Pick a relevent topic, and start doing research, and writing journal articles about this topic, so that you are a "go to" expert in this field. This will bulk up your resume, and make you lucrative in regards to attracting research and grant money to you. Relevant fields now: Anything to do with elderly, medical field, worker burn out among medical staff, try to find something that is new, and edgy. For example, youth violence, is already passe, you will not be a 'go-to" because everyone already knows that.
3.Have parents that will support you, while you go to grad school, and get your PhD, because you will need that, to move up in academia.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
At the CC where I work, all new tenure track hires for non-vocational programs in the past 8 or so years have had PhDs or other terminal degrees and most of them have come from top third programs. And while my area has hit the top of assorted quality of life lists over the years, it's not a place where you make an effort to end up teaching/working.
That is both interesting and sad. Sad because the level of work of every community college I have seen requires no more than a good undergrad (pre BA or BS) to teach. To have PhD's teach JC classes is overkill (although great for students). As to them coming from top third programs, I would find that even sadder.

However, I can see folks that have finished phase I of their professional lives taking a position at a JC to give back or to stay young.....fits your description of the community. However, not terribly conventional tenure track hires...

S.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

There is no reason somebody with the talent to achieve a phd could not have the smarts to come up with multiple income streams and do what they love teaching and also do something else.
I wish this was true! I know many PhDs (myself included) who struggle to find work doing ANYTHING. Recently, I got a small adjunct position. I consider myself extremely lucky. Prior to this, I was waiting tables because nobody else (and I mean NOBODY!) would hire me. I applied for over 200 jobs. I became deeply depressed and suicidal. I was told over and over again that I didn't have the "right skills." Umm, okay, so a doctoral degree doesn't qualify me to answer telephones and file papers? Yet you will hire someone with a poor grasp of language, who is irresponsible, incompetent, chronically tardy, disrespectful, and doesn't give a crap about doing a good job? Whatever. I'm still looking for ways to supplement my income. If I ever have to wait tables again, I will go completely bonkers.

My other PhD friends wait tables, work in coffee shops, stock shelves at World Market, and look for college teaching jobs. It's a sad state of affairs.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
I wish this was true! I know many PhDs (myself included) who struggle to find work doing ANYTHING. Recently, I got a small adjunct position. I consider myself extremely lucky. Prior to this, I was waiting tables because nobody else (and I mean NOBODY!) would hire me. I applied for over 200 jobs. I became deeply depressed and suicidal. I was told over and over again that I didn't have the "right skills." Umm, okay, so a doctoral degree doesn't qualify me to answer telephones and file papers? Yet you will hire someone with a poor grasp of language, who is irresponsible, incompetent, chronically tardy, disrespectful, and doesn't give a crap about doing a good job? Whatever. I'm still looking for ways to supplement my income. If I ever have to wait tables again, I will go completely bonkers.

My other PhD friends wait tables, work in coffee shops, stock shelves at World Market, and look for college teaching jobs. It's a sad state of affairs.
That's so depressing. I wish you luck!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's so depressing. I wish you luck!
Thanks. I'm actually okay now. It took a really long time, and most days I didn't think I was going to make it. Even though my college teaching position is part-time only, I really enjoy it and my colleagues are the greatest people on Earth. I learn so much from my students (and vice versa, I hope.) I picked up a work-from-home typing job, and I have plenty of time to explore cooking, yardwork, music, the dog park, etc. Money will always be tight, but I don't really care!

My post was more as a warning to others. The idea that "if you put your mind to it you can do anything," and similar philosophies can be misleading and dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities