Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,310 times

Advertisements

I signed up for a course at night. I requested to transfer to the day class and was told no. Today I put a "stop payment" on my credit card. I misplaced it so just as well.

The college will try to charge my credit card in two days and it's going to bounce. I am not happy with the course or quality of instruction. Is there any way to get out of the tuition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I'm sure they have a policy for full or partial reimbursement when a student withdraws from a class - it may depend on the timing. You'll have to go through your information from the school to see what it is.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
with difficulty. what is far more probable is you will get a black eye from the school.
i dont understand the negative feelings about jr college-- they are the reason for the pleasin.
i got so much VE out of them--- debt free.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith2010 View Post
I signed up for a course at night. I requested to transfer to the day class and was told no. Today I put a "stop payment" on my credit card. I misplaced it so just as well.

The college will try to charge my credit card in two days and it's going to bounce. I am not happy with the course or quality of instruction. Is there any way to get out of the tuition?
Did you 'request' to switch courses during the proper add/drop period?

Or did you wait until the middle of the semester?

Either way, you are probably going to owe them some money.

I know that you can dispute charges, but I didn't know that you could put a stop payment on a credit card after you have authorized payment?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:

Probably not. You cannot transfer into another class just becasue you want to. The other class could be full, for example, and the instructor could thus rightly tell you "no." What's more, some colleges make "day" and "night" course load distinctions and may limit or prohibit transfers between the two.

Regarding being unhappy with the course: no, you certainly cannot get your money back just becasue you do not like a course. Your college may allow for a partial refund before the withdrawal date --- YMMV. Unless you can show that the course is NOT what it was stated to be (i.e. the class was listed as Chemistry 101 but in reality the class is French Literature 101), you cannot get a refund. College ain't Sears...there's no "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" deal. The deal is this: the college agrees to offer you enrollment in a course, you agree to pay.

What's more, you cannot "undo" a credit card charge once you have authorized it. When you charge something you agree to pay for it. You can challenge the charge as being improper and the card company will investigate to determine if goods or services were delivered as promised in exchange for payment (i.e. there was no fraud involved). In the instance you outlined above, their investigation would involve contacting the college to see if it was really you who signed up for the class and whether you enrolled. The answer to this would presumably be "yes" and the card company would then determine that the charge WAS valid and that you now owe the credit card company the money. The college will be paid by the credit card bank becasue they delivered services as promised. The dispute will not be between you and State Community College; it will be between you and Citibank (or whoever the card issuer is). And if you don't pay Citibank then they will issue negative reports on you to the three big credit agencies and the bank will pursue legal and collection against you.

So I suspect you're pretty much screwed.

Last edited by professorsenator; 03-03-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,310 times
Thanks, all. I figured I was pretty much screwed, so I called the company today and put another payment on another credit card.

Just seems to me like there should be some sort of withdrawal period. In my case, I was told to go to class the first night, not open any materials, and then MAYBE I could get a refund. Well, without seeing the materials it's kind of hard to tell. I guess I am out the money.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Thanks, all. I figured I was pretty much screwed, so I called the company today and put another payment on another credit card.

Just seems to me like there should be some sort of withdrawal period. In my case, I was told to go to class the first night, not open any materials, and then MAYBE I could get a refund. Well, without seeing the materials it's kind of hard to tell. I guess I am out the money.
If you are enrolled in a public community college, yes, you can drop the course before you go or you can drop it during the drop-add period, and you'll get a partial-refund of some sort. If this is a private or other type of school (ECPI or the like), I think you're roasted.....

Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
Quote:

There IS a withdrawl period. It should be listed on the school website/calendar and on the instructor's syllabus. The specific dates and times will vary by school, but a full or partial refunds can be awarded during the first week or 2 of classes. Whether or not you went to class is irrelevant. At my school, if you sign up for class and don't show during the first week, you're counted as a no show and you're still charged. You might be able to get a refund for your course materials if they haven't been opened, are within a certain date from when you first bought it, but sometimes, you have to have a receipt.

If you've been in class long enough to know you aren't happy with it or it's instruction, then you're way beyond the withdrawl date. This is standard practice at any school, community college or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities