Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times

Advertisements

Has anybody had experiences with college students that were really snobbish in general interpersonal interactions?

I've noticed that outside of college people in general are really down to earth and relaxed for the most part. Then when you step into a college the students as smart and talented as most of them are want to be treated like Royalty if they assume that they are more talented than you and can boss and order you around like a plebeian.

I've had those experiences in the past. It was more of an observation on behavior and interpersonal attitudes. Did anybody else see that? Or was everyone in your college very relaxed and down to earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 PM

380 posts, read 961,559 times
My old school (GMU) had people just like that and i loved being in the real world. I visited another school JMU and the people were the same. I transferred to my new school and everyone is down to earth. I think the big schools are more snobbish, gmu has like 31,000 and my new school has barely 3,000 undergrad.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM

Awesome. Thanks for relating. I noticed that too. The big colleges have insane egos. The little colleges are normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
My old school (GMU) had people just like that and i loved being in the real world. I visited another school JMU and the people were the same. I transferred to my new school and everyone is down to earth. I think the big schools are more snobbish, gmu has like 31,000 and my new school has barely 3,000 undergrad.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
When I visit my graduate school alma mater, I'm always amazed at how snooty the "kids" are. But hey, when you are catered to in every way shape and form, it's hard not to start thinking your poo doesn't stink. I think it also depends on the time you are at school. For instance, when i was in grad school, it was during the first Bush recession, early 90's. nobody was getting hired, so all of us had to eat humble pie early on and we were grateful just to have an interview! Then in the mid to late 90's, I was vomitting my mouth everytime I read about how these college students were competing not only for jobs, but how big a signing bonus they could get! How can one not have an inflated head having companies perpetuate the college experience? I think that now college students are having a hard time because it's humble pie time again and it wasn't that way so much when they were incoming freshmen ... the snootiness is cyclical.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:20 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Plenty of snobs in the real world, too.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Snobbish? No. I am sure that they exist on campus, but I do not notice them. Everybody seems to be doing their own thing and it is not like high school with social clicks or anything. But I agree with flyers29; I run into plenty of snobs outside of school.

What I do see five days a week, though, are plenty of students who are just completely rude. Manners seem to be a dying trait.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I didn't run into many snobs in school. A few, but not many. I agree that there are plenty of snobs in the real world, so be happy if you've been lucky to have avoided them so far. I had to supervise one once; maybe she was a student at your college once! I do think it varies by school to some extent, though; maybe not a "snobby" thing, but when looking into grad schools I found that some had a far more supportive atmosphere than others. In some places the students seemed to be in a state of permanent competition.

I would argue that the big colleges are actually less snobby, but again, I think it just depends on where you are. Size probably doesn't have much to do with it. My huge school (as an undergrad) wasn't snobby. It was big enough and had a diverse enough blend of students that there was no one "type" of student. It was also a school that had a good reputation, but also wasn't an Ivy, so the really name-conscious people didn't go there (or at least didn't have it as their first choice). Maybe that helped.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Has anybody had experiences with college students that were really snobbish in general interpersonal interactions?

I've noticed that outside of college people in general are really down to earth and relaxed for the most part. Then when you step into a college the students as smart and talented as most of them are want to be treated like Royalty if they assume that they are more talented than you and can boss and order you around like a plebeian.

I've had those experiences in the past. It was more of an observation on behavior and interpersonal attitudes. Did anybody else see that? Or was everyone in your college very relaxed and down to earth?
What I've noticed more is people who are intelligent, well-educated, and confident about it in their interactions with others, and who don't feel the need to dumb it down getting the stink-eye from people who have axes to grind, chips on their shoulders, or who are just otherwise insecure themselves.

I went to a very small, crunchy granola, relaxed, down to earth college...but also a haven for plenty of very smart folks who would never have considered hiding or downplaying their intellect. Which is not to say that most were any more likely to present themselves with any particular arrogance. They were, by and large, normal, humble, average, intelligent people. My alma mater also very heavily emphasizes service and social justice in its mission and across its curriculum, so it tends to attract the bare minimum of self-absorbed nitwits, too, so that helps skew things to the positive.

I don't know. I was raised to be confident, but not arrogant, and under no circumstances to be apologetic about my intelligence. Most importantly, I was raised to strive to do something with my intelligence that benefits not only myself, but others, and my alma mater, defintiely reinforced that.

Snobbery and arrogance are found everywhere, but it says more about who people are as individuals than anything else. There are many arrogant snobs who've never set foot on a college campus, just as there are many educated, arrogant snobs. Jackasses are everywhere, at every level of schooling or lack thereof.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,313 times
Wow - artsyguy posting something negative about college? Well I never!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 PM

Whenever I meet people that are smarter or more intellectual than I am. I always ask questions and show an interest in what they are talking about. If they bring up a subject, author, or a book I've never heard of, I will probe into that and look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What I've noticed more is people who are intelligent, well-educated, and confident about it in their interactions with others, and who don't feel the need to dumb it down getting the stink-eye from people who have axes to grind, chips on their shoulders, or who are just otherwise insecure themselves.

I went to a very small, crunchy granola, relaxed, down to earth college...but also a haven for plenty of very smart folks who would never have considered hiding or downplaying their intellect. Which is not to say that most were any more likely to present themselves with any particular arrogance. They were, by and large, normal, humble, average, intelligent people. My alma mater also very heavily emphasizes service and social justice in its mission and across its curriculum, so it tends to attract the bare minimum of self-absorbed nitwits, too, so that helps skew things to the positive.

I don't know. I was raised to be confident, but not arrogant, and under no circumstances to be apologetic about my intelligence. Most importantly, I was raised to strive to do something with my intelligence that benefits not only myself, but others, and my alma mater, defintiely reinforced that.

Snobbery and arrogance are found everywhere, but it says more about who people are as individuals than anything else. There are many arrogant snobs who've never set foot on a college campus, just as there are many educated, arrogant snobs. Jackasses are everywhere, at every level of schooling or lack thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities