Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times

Advertisements

The teaching angle is something that is pretty state and even school specific. Some colleges require ed majors to double major and have a rigid curriculum that makes it hard to graduate in four years unless you start right off as an major. Other States don't even have an ed major and expect certification later.

My suggestion at this stage is to look for college that have all three majors and don't sweat what he's going to major in until later.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
In terms of the combination it makes perfect sense. Computer science in many ways is just applied Mathematics. Many have suggested a double major but that will almost guarantee an extra year as both programs are very demanding time wise, though in different ways. The projects that will be required in the computer science courses will suck up a lot of time, but a lot of it is "busy work". Mathematics courses, especially once you get beyond the basics, will suck up a lot of time as well, but its all "thinking work" and very little busy work.

As far as getting jobs in industry, having a major/minor or double major is not going to make that much of a difference. What is going to be more important is his experience.

In terms of continuing his education, a graduate program in computer science would have no problem with a math major/CS minor applying. Engineering is a different story entirely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Do a double major. In most colleges, if you major in computer science you are only a few extra courses away from a double major in math anyway.
This is not even close to being true. Computer Science only requires some basic mathematics courses, a mathematics majors goes well beyond this.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
In terms of the combination it makes perfect sense. Computer science in many ways is just applied Mathematics. Many have suggested a double major but that will almost guarantee an extra year as both programs are very demanding time wise, though in different ways. The projects that will be required in the computer science courses will suck up a lot of time, but a lot of it is "busy work". Mathematics courses, especially once you get beyond the basics, will suck up a lot of time as well, but its all "thinking work" and very little busy work.

As far as getting jobs in industry, having a major/minor or double major is not going to make that much of a difference. What is going to be more important is his experience.

In terms of continuing his education, a graduate program in computer science would have no problem with a math major/CS minor applying. Engineering is a different story entirely though.

This is not even close to being true. Computer Science only requires some basic mathematics courses, a mathematics majors goes well beyond this.
Lol...I was a computer science major, and at many schools (like mine) you get a high level of theoretical mathematics for comp sci. A real comp sci degree gives you the theory behind programming (which is math) and not just computer classes. At my school you only needed 3 additional classes to add math as a major as well.

Do some research before you disagree with someone like that.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Lol...I was a computer science major, and at many schools (like mine) you get a high level of theoretical mathematics for comp sci. A real comp sci degree gives you the theory behind programming (which is math) and not just computer classes. At my school you only needed 3 additional classes to add math as a major as well.

I agree-we have several friends that were math majors in college but had enough computer science to land jobs in the computer programming industry.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
It is a good plan. He should focus on finishing high school with the advanced math courses to get a head start.

But one thing to remember, he's only a junior is high school. He does not need to "decare a major" for a few years. Most student change their minds multiple times before they settle on a career path.

Shoot - most adult change their careers multiple times! I'm glad I went for a strong technical degree - this has allowed me the flexibility to change careers in conjunction with changing economies.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
At my school you only needed 3 additional classes to add math as a major as well.
Oh yeah? Unless the mathematics program is utterly pathetic I don't believe this, feel free to actually provide the information that shows this. Theoretical computer science is not the same as mathematics, the objects of study are different. Mathematics programs want you to have a well-rounded mathematics education, those in computer science only learn the mathematics they need to learn. Typically, computer science programs just require calculus, a basic course in linear algebra and a course in discrete mathematics. A focus in theoretical computer science will usually require some sort of course in computation theory or mathematical logic in addition to these requirements. Still a rather far cry from a mathematics degree.

If the programs were so similar what would be the point of having both? Kicks and giggles?

Quote:
I have, hence my disagreement.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah? Unless the mathematics program is utterly pathetic I don't believe this, feel free to actually provide the information that shows this. Theoretical computer science is not the same as mathematics, the objects of study are different. Mathematics programs want you to have a well-rounded mathematics education, those in computer science only learn the mathematics they need to learn. Typically, computer science programs just require calculus, a basic course in linear algebra and a course in discrete mathematics. A focus in theoretical computer science will usually require some sort of course in computation theory or mathematical logic in addition to these requirements. Still a rather far cry from a mathematics degree.

If the programs were so similar what would be the point of having both? Kicks and giggles?

I have, hence my disagreement.
Are you serious? the computer science program at my college was a 115 credit degree. Math is typically 60-70 credits. Don't lecture me on what it takes to take a math degree, you arrogant a**. If you don't understand the value of a double degree then you really shouldn't be giving advice in this thread. Why the hell would I lie to a random stranger on the internet? You must be incredibly insecure if you feel the need to argue with people like you consistantly do.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Are you serious? the computer science program at my college was a 115 credit degree. Math is typically 60-70 credits.
Yes, I'm serious. Which school is this? A requirement of 115 credits beyond general ed would result in a 5~6 year program. But the difference in the number of credits (there usually is not much of a difference) is not the issue, rather the issue is how many of the courses are disjoint. CMU has one of the best and most rigorous computer science programs in the country, yet they only require 5 mathematics courses:

B.S. in Computer Science (http://www.csd.cs.cmu.edu/education/bscs/currreq.html - broken link)

Now, its possible to satisfy a few of the CS requirements with math courses. But at most that would put you at 8 mathematics courses, a far cry from a BS in mathematics.

Clearly, some courses can satisfy both degree requirements. But the idea that at most schools you can take "a few additional" courses and walk out with both degrees is just inaccurate. Perhaps, that is how that worked at your school, I have no idea where you went. Its rather odd if true.

Quote:
Why the hell would I lie to a random stranger on the internet? You must be incredibly insecure if you feel the need to argue with people like you consistantly do.
I'm not suggesting you are lying, rather I'm suggesting you are saying is generally speaking inaccurate. Considering the OP, I thought it was important to point out. But they can confirm matters by simply looking at the respective course requirements, they will undoubtedly find that the majority of the course work is disjoint. A double major in mathematics and computer science will be tough to manage time-wise.

Anyhow, no reason to get your panties in a bunch.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm serious. Which school is this? A requirement of 115 credits beyond general ed would result in a 5~6 year program. But the difference in the number of credits (there usually is not much of a difference) is not the issue, rather the issue is how many of the courses are disjoint. CMU has one of the best and most rigorous computer science programs in the country, yet they only require 5 mathematics courses:

B.S. in Computer Science (http://www.csd.cs.cmu.edu/education/bscs/currreq.html - broken link)

Now, its possible to satisfy a few of the CS requirements with math courses. But at most that would put you at 8 mathematics courses, a far cry from a BS in mathematics.

Clearly, some courses can satisfy both degree requirements. But the idea that at most schools you can take "a few additional" courses and walk out with both degrees is just inaccurate. Perhaps, that is how that worked at your school, I have no idea where you went. Its rather odd if true.

I'm not suggesting you are lying, rather I'm suggesting you are saying is generally speaking inaccurate. Considering the OP, I thought it was important to point out. But they can confirm matters by simply looking at the respective course requirements, they will undoubtedly find that the majority of the course work is disjoint. A double major in mathematics and computer science will be tough to manage time-wise.

I am not telling you where I graduated (sorry - I don't like giving out that kind of info to people on the internet), but yes... computer science and engineering at the school where I went to undergrad are five year programs accelerated to fit into four years. Maybe that isn't the norm, but it is the only school I went to and all I know...

I don't know what to tell you. I am just saying how it is where I went for my undergrad degree.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you. I am just saying how it is where I went for my undergrad degree.
The comment I quoted from you was "In most colleges, if you major in computer science you are only a few extra courses away from a double major in math anyway." If you had said "At my college, if..." I would not have commented.

I know of schools with weak mathematics programs that essentially combine them with (the usually stronger) computer science or physics program, but that is not the norm and obviously not a good place for someone primarily interested in mathematics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities