Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times

Advertisements

Are you looking at the Becker website? They just give you a general overview of the requirements, and I don't even think their IL summary is very accurate (they say the min degree required is an associates, when it's a bachelors). I highly recommend going to the IL Board of Examiners website. It's a lot more specific:

http://www.ilboa.org/

Basically it makes it sound like if you don't have a graduate degree from a program that is accredited in business, you have to take 24 hrs in accounting + 24 hours of other business courses. Your best option from a credit hour standpoint may be a graduate degree in accounting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
I'm currently pursuing an A.A in Liberal Arts. However I'm thinking of changing my major to Business Administration. I'm thinking of majoring in accounting once I transfer to a four year college. However if I do, I feel like I've wasted a year of college, because many of the courses I took would be meaningless. I do plan on talking with an advisor this week about it, but I was wondering what you're thoughts are. Should I stay on the liberal arts course or should I switch my major? I think switching may require me to stay at a two year county college longer than I planned, but if that's what I have to do then that's what I'll do.

Thoughts?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 38,899 times
I am 45 years old and starting my accounting degree. I want to get my masters and sit for my CPA. I want to work for one of the big four also. Does anyone know of a middle age person changing careers and working for these guys. What are the odds? I think I am going in the direction of auditing.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,737 times
if u want job security take accounting.
I am an intern at an insurance company and doing basic accounting stuff.
THANK GOD i did not major in accounting, job security is not worth wasting my one life sitting in a cubicle doing calculations with no interest.
Office Space.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm currently pursuing an A.A in Liberal Arts. However I'm thinking of changing my major to Business Administration. I'm thinking of majoring in accounting once I transfer to a four year college. However if I do, I feel like I've wasted a year of college, because many of the courses I took would be meaningless. I do plan on talking with an advisor this week about it, but I was wondering what you're thoughts are. Should I stay on the liberal arts course or should I switch my major? I think switching may require me to stay at a two year county college longer than I planned, but if that's what I have to do then that's what I'll do.

Thoughts?

Better to waste a year than graduate with a degree that will get you a career serving coffee at Starbucks. Graduating with a degree that is useless in terms of getting you a rewarding career can be a painful lesson. I am learning about that now with mine (Chemistry).

Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
if u want job security take accounting.
I am an intern at an insurance company and doing basic accounting stuff.
THANK GOD i did not major in accounting, job security is not worth wasting my one life sitting in a cubicle doing calculations with no interest.
Office Space.
I'd trade my chemistry degree for accounting any day of the week. I fact, I intend to start taking accounting classes at CC this summer. I'll take safe and well paid over interesting but insecure and ridiculously low paid.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarrett45 View Post
I am 45 years old and starting my accounting degree. I want to get my masters and sit for my CPA. I want to work for one of the big four also. Does anyone know of a middle age person changing careers and working for these guys. What are the odds? I think I am going in the direction of auditing.
Dude the big four isn't going to hire you, you're too old. There's no way they would trust some middle-aged person to have the stamina to pull 14+ hour days during busy season.

I saw that you asked the same question back in March and people told you the same thing - you're too old. Take a hint? Cut your losses and move on.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarrett45 View Post
The Big Four only hire young people that they can mold and work into the ground. My mother had a 4.0 GPA and a CPA license and she could not get a job with the Big Four because she was in her 30's.

Hate to be pessimistic..but it is the truth.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'm actually interested if a MS is useful. I am a chemist looking to change careers to accounting for better pay and career potential. I am thinking of going for a MSA.

Chemistry is a very devalued and low paying career from what I've seen. $15-20 an hour and no benefits because most companies only hire chemists through agencies and don't make them FTE's.
Funny, I was just thinking about taking extra courses to qualify for an MS in Chemsitry. In your opion do you think it's worth it?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:53 AM

No. BS and MS's are lumped into the same category. MS might make you a bit more attractive for BS level jobs but It won't increase your pay in most instances.

PhD is definitely not worth it. The completion rate is ~50% [even less in really bad programs] and takes 5+ years. Success has more to do if you end up with an adviser who mentors you and cares about you rather than a lot of PI's who see grad students as cheap labor to do the lab work and teach undergrad chemistry.

After you get the Ph. D after living off 15k for 5 years you are rewarded with post-docing which pays ~35k usually without benefits. After post-docing for years you may get a nice industrial position or if you win the lottery a tenure track position. More often your career dead ends and you are stuck doing a career change ~age 40.

I think your best bet is to find an area that is very specific and in demand and do a MS there or an internship. Some examples are become a certified Flavorist, formulations of paint or adhesives, Mass spec of proteins. Otherwise a science degree will make you a lab serf earning $15-20 an hour many times with no benefits for the rest of your life or until you do a career change.

added
Or get a business degree and get into the business side of things. I'm sure a lot of science oriented companies could use managers or accountants that have an understanding of science.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 04-24-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities