Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:10 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,129 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I like many people am asking the same question as many do after the getting that BS in business admin. What next?

Here's my deal. I live in a very depressed rust belt city. I have great grades, great extra-curriculars, and good work experience. I have applied, and thus far have three offers in the Buffalo area, none of which pay over $30,000 a year, which is pathetic.

I have also been accepted to Oklahoma Christian University to get my MBA, it costs $15,300 for the entire program, which lasts 1 year. I would love to spend a year in OkC.

So this is my question, would you go for the MBA, or keep looking. From what I hear entry level jobs almost always want entry level candidates, even though I am willing to self-relocate. I have a good job, and just finished paying my last student loans off (1 month before graduation), and I've got around $7000, please about $2000 in my 401k… So I can survive without work for a bit…

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:22 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,548 times
DO NOT get your MBA right after your undergrad. Worst thing to do.

The MBA serves as a huge reset button if you want to switch careers. In addition, with no work experience, you are bringing nothing to the table.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,129 times
Alright, pretty much what I expected… I never thought about the career change issue.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
Agreed...the better MBA programs want you to have work experience. So much of an MBA is comparing industries and talking about real world situations--if you have no experiences to bring to the table, you won't be able to contribute much.

Generally, 3-5 years work experience is suggested before applying to an MBA.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
$30,000 isn't that bad for someone with no experience.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,055 times
Unless you're in the sciences, working for a few years is a better bet. You can pay down/off any undergrad loans and save up some money. I made the mistake of going straight into grad school. I did my MA then took a few years off before doing my terminal degree. My work experience helped to get into a great program and I also have a much clearer idea of what I want to get out of it now that I've been in the workforce. While I'm sure the school you're going to is fine, you'll find that you will get better jobs from a school with a bigger reputation, and you'll have a better shot at getting into those bigger schools if you get some good work experience first.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
Glad I read this thread. I've been regretting not going straight into a Masters program after getting my Bachelors. Been thinking of going back now after 3 years of full time work.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Glad I read this thread. I've been regretting not going straight into a Masters program after getting my Bachelors. Been thinking of going back now after 3 years of full time work.
I have a three year gap between my MA and my MFA when I go back to school this fall.

Best decision I ever made. I had the option to go straight into a Ph.D. and I shudder to think where my life would be now if I'd done that.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Hi everyone, I like many people am asking the same question as many do after the getting that BS in business admin. What next?

Here's my deal. I live in a very depressed rust belt city. I have great grades, great extra-curriculars, and good work experience. I have applied, and thus far have three offers in the Buffalo area, none of which pay over $30,000 a year, which is pathetic.

I have also been accepted to Oklahoma Christian University to get my MBA, it costs $15,300 for the entire program, which lasts 1 year. I would love to spend a year in OkC.

So this is my question, would you go for the MBA, or keep looking. From what I hear entry level jobs almost always want entry level candidates, even though I am willing to self-relocate. I have a good job, and just finished paying my last student loans off (1 month before graduation), and I've got around $7000, please about $2000 in my 401k… So I can survive without work for a bit…

What do you all think?
Work first. If you research MBA programs, you'll see that credible MBA graduates who are taken seriously come from top-ranked schools and have several years of work experience. As an MBA recipient myself, I can tell you that it is a practical degree; it's generalist degree about how to work with people and make a buck, and it is much more beneficial if you have some practical instead of purely theoretical knowledge.

In a few years, you could have experience and qualifications to go to a much better MBA program than that one, and you will significantly increase your probability of an even greater earnings jump coming out of the program.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Ambient's post is excellent advice. There is no more watered down masters program than an MBA thanks to all the fly by night matchbook universities out there offering it. The work experience will reward you 3 fold over an MBA. If in your profession having an MBA will help you climb the ladder, then you can pursue it. Make sure that you attend a university with a known reputation.

Also, don't overlook getting a masters in something else that might enhance your career even more such as some form of information technology or public administration. This, of course, depends on your career path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities