Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
^^^^ ...Yep.

I can't tell you how many essays I had to read about perfidious white colonizers and evil rich people that were written by whiny, class-baiting, and dogmatic Marxists. The bias was utterly excessive and there was such an air of elitism to it as well. I tried to banter back and forth with my uber-Left graduate assistant professors, but gave up after a while because even though they let me say my piece, I knew such disagreements would probably negatively affect my grade.

But, an evangelical Christian church would probably be the same way. The difference is you don't have to spend $15,000 a year to go to church.

They are so inculcated to the ideological whims of the academic world that such regurgitations are taken as gospel. Education does not always make a person intelligent. It's best just to keep your mouth shut, get the good grades, get the piece of paper, and get the **** out of there.
LMAO Your description is spot-on! In every class, this ^^ is all that I hear: all of the problems of the world were/are caused by evil, rich white people (especially men, and especially the U.S.) who dominate and oppress all of the peoples of the world for their own greedy benefit I acknowledge that there is some merit to the argument but these people go overboard; literally every lecture in every class is like this. It's as if it is the only argument that they ever learned

Fortunately, the classes that I am taking are not towards a degree but more for intellectual stimulation. Part of the reason that I'm so horrified by the way that these profs behave is b/c I got my undergrad from a school where the profs didn't act that way (and it is considered very liberal).

I think that I am going to choose my battles b/c I've noticed that when I disagree with the prof, it actually encourages others to speak up, and then things really get interesting! VIVA LA REVOLUCION!! (Talk about irony).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I think that I am going to choose my battles b/c I've noticed that when I disagree with the prof, it actually encourages others to speak up, and then things really get interesting! VIVA LA REVOLUCION!! (Talk about irony).
Haha. Oh yeah...it was fun to lay into those professors. I once flustered a graduate student by dissecting how modern Leftism was obsessed with viewing the world as one of class conflict and how it is mandatory to worship the perceived oppressed class and to criticize the perceived oppressor class and how such a pathology was just as short-sighted and partisan as anything that a Right-Winger would spew. You should have seen the contortions on the twit's face. Needless to say, I did not get a good grade in that class.

Good luck with your studies. Don't let the pinheads get to you. Maybe you should wear a Che beret to class to get bonus points?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Haha. Oh yeah...it was fun to lay into those professors. I once flustered a graduate student by dissecting how modern Leftism was obsessed with viewing the world as one of class conflict and how it is mandatory to worship the perceived oppressed class and to criticize the perceived oppressor class and how such a pathology was just as short-sighted and partisan as anything that a Right-Winger would spew. You should have seen the contortions on the twit's face. Needless to say, I did not get a good grade in that class.

Good luck with your studies. Don't let the pinheads get to you. Maybe you should wear a Che beret to class to get bonus points?
(Okay, picture me laughing my ass off) I *literally* laughed out loud when I read that last part. Your post made my morning, thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
No way. Of course not. Have you seen what Penn and Teller have to say about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B9EizO_sU8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Is there really free speech at liberal colleges?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 AM

I experienced a lot of indoctrination at my colleges too. Unfortunately, inside the box indoctrination is not sincerely liberal or progressive. For example if I indoctrinated you to think that only women and blacks were the only groups that mattered that faced discrimination then we would be so called "liberals" thinking inside the box. We do not bother to explore how men, gays, or immigrants have experienced unique forms of discrimination. In essence it is not true "liberalism" but pure duplicity.

I am moderate and a free thinker and speaker. I do not pander to any group or political party. Nor do I enjoy the indoctrination that I find prevalent at universities. And I have very much enjoyed my online courses. They are excellent. All view points are explored without hesitation or contempt. And I am really sorry to hear about your college experiences. I experienced that exact same garbage. And I moved out of the program ASAP.

Quote:
I think that it depends on the school. I do not consider myself a conservative and, yet, at the school that I am currently attending, the teachers are so far to the left that they make everyone who doesn't agree with them look like a conservative. What really annoys me about the situation is that I prefer to gather the facts (and I rely on the teacher to supply them) so that I can make up my mind about an issue; at this school teachers just present/lecture their opinion (one side of the issue) and students are expected to reiterate that opinion.

Thus, every lecture feels as is the prof is trying to indoctrinate students. If and when a student does not agree with the prof, the student is patronized and treated as if he/she is "ignorant." And if you ask for clarification of the issue (i.e. both sides of an issue), you won't get it.

It's gotten so bad that I don't even speak in class anymore; the students who do speak are always contributing anecdotes that reinforce the teacher's opinion, and anyone who doesn't agree with the teacher is just dismissed by the prof, who dismisses the differing viewpoint usually by saying, "No" and just continuing with the lecture with no explanation as to why he/she disagrees, or why he/she feels that the differing opinion is flawed. I even have one prof who actually puts words in my mouth or twists what I have said in order to discredit my opinion. I can't even believe that such people have Phd's

Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 AM

I think her professor should wear a dunce cap and sit in the corner.

Quote:
(Okay, picture me laughing my ass off) I *literally* laughed out loud when I read that last part. Your post made my morning, thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Professors are individuals and as a result have particular political ideologies, some speak about it openly some do not. Regardless, there is no liberal conspiracy at US universities and there is just as much as free speech as there is anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities