Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 PM

17 posts, read 61,674 times

Advertisements

I have been talking to one of their recruiters, but I'm actually a little turned off by their "sales" technique. The recruiter has been using scare tactics. Making it sound like my future is grim if I don't get a degree and especially if I don't attend their college.

It's true, at this point in my life (early 30's), three kids and one on the way, my options are limited.

I like the idea being able to bang through classes really quick, but I'm really not liking the cost.

Reading through some of these threads, I've come across mixed feeling about attending places like University of Phoenix.

I'm sort of leaning on continuing through community college for my two year and then entertaining UOP, or a local university in the future.

It sounds like many of you have regrets about private colleges like UOP.

Please share you honest thoughts and advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:44 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
this topic has been beaten to death. There are some legit non profit universities that offer accelerated programs for working adults. Look at that first before you sign yourself up with a diploma mil.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
this topic has been beaten to death.
Sorry, I'm just now crossing this bridge.

Quote:
There are some legit non profit universities that offer accelerated programs for working adults.
Are they cheaper? From what I've heard, in many cases they aren't.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:40 PM

87 posts, read 524,070 times
First things first - Phoenix is NOT a diploma mill and it is just stupid to claim so when there are lots of REAL diploma mills out there.

Phoenix holds the necessary accreditations/approvals, you will do real and substantial work to earn a degree there, and if you choose to go to graduate school you will have a good shot at admission to a Tier I doctoral research institution.

To answer the second question - YES, there are absolutely going to be cheaper, more prestigious options available to you. As convenient or accelerated, maybe not. Depends. What is your intended field of study? What state do you live in? If you get more specific maybe we can point out some programs.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
What is your intended field of study?
I believe Psychology, I'm currently thinking that through, but based on my background/work experience (Management/Sales), I think it will be OK if I decide to stay in that area, but it could also open up some other possibilities if I choose to pursue something else at some point. On top of that, I love the subject.

I live in CO.

Thanks

Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a psychology degree, so do it the cheapest way possible.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,842 times
Employers above basic admin level will laugh at a degree from Univ of Phoenix. Sorry if this offends, but this is the bottom line.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Schools offering a Bachelor of Science or Arts in Psychology online include Peru State, a small public college in Nebraska, Nova Southeastern, a large private university in Florida which also runs law and medical schools, and Troy, a school you might recall for embarrassing Oklahoma State last year in football on national television.

Peru State's tuition is $130 per credit hour compared to $515 per credit hour at Phoenix. I'm going to guess the tution at Troy is also lower. Nova Southeastern might be comparable, but a degree from there is going to get you a lot more respect than Phoenix.

This is just a starting point. There are other schools out there. Spend the time, do the research. This is too big of a decision to make uninformed.

Last edited by aswedc; 07-26-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 PM

Here's a great one - BA Psychology from the Penn State World Campus. While PSU has multiple locations, the degrees/diplomas/transcripts make no mention of where they were earned.

Would you rather be associated with this university

http://www.psunittanylions.net/image...er_stadium.jpg

or this one?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/12/bu...n=&oref=slogin

Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 PM

aswedc...

Thank you very much, that is very helpful information. I jumped on their web-sites and found you are correct, much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities