Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I wish I would have known then that a BS in mathematics is only a stepping stone and cannot be used by itself - of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

I know someone with two college degrees -- math and biology -- and she works in retail/inventory, scanning clothes at slutty teenage girl stores at the mall in the midde of the night. Seriously, the degrees are that worthless.
This is confusing. Just because some one manages to get through college doesn't mean they understand how to get a job.

And having a degree doesn't mean anything unless the person's grades are top notch, just having the paper means little.

If your friend doesn't have the gumtpion to get a job in her field, that doesn't cast dispersion on her degree,it casts dispersion on her.

I know all about this. I have an undergrad degree in psych, with a C- average. It's worth sh@t. I played all through college. I was lucky to get a job as a recreation therapist(professional babysitter) at a private psychiatric hospital for children. I had people with high school diplomas working aside me making as much as me. I couldn't get into grad school, but they agreed to take me on a temporary basis to take a few courses. After I got an A in everyone of the first 5 courses, they accepted me as a degree student. I was lucky. I graduated with my Masters in Counseling Psychology, with a 3.86. But my employer from told me that I had the lowest undergraduate grades of anyone they had EVER hired. I also had THE top of my class graduate grades and rave reviews from all my professors. I had only two courses I got a B and a B+ in.

Just having a degree means little. You have to work to use it.

Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
I did take actuarial exams. I didn't finish, because I can't study and work full-time simultaneously. I took the exams while I was a university student.

With some exams passed, getting a job was pretty easy, but not anymore. The few job openings are in healthcare and require healthcare experience, which I don't have.

While it's true that for some people, their employer pays the exam fees and gives time off to study, it's pretty rare. I've been looking for a job in the study program for 14 years and have yet to even interview.
Why can't you study and work full time? I know a man who works full time, has five kids, and just got his college degree. Of course I give a lot of the credit to his wife, but still that's quite an accomplishment. I know plenty of people who have worked FT and gone to school. Someone said on this thread that you don't even have to go back to school--that you can just study for the tests. That would save you a lot of time if you don't have to go to classes--you can just organize your study time. Do you have moments at work when you can study? What is your FT job? Do you have a family to support?

I just studied for and took tests for teaching certification for English teaching and special ed this year while working FT and raising my 2 dd's alone, so you can do this. I passed all of them, but then the jobs dried up. No problem; I have another idea for what I can do.

Also, what's stopping you from getting healthcare experience? Is your present job so great that you can't get a different one? I assume it's not since you're on here complaining about your degree. Research healthcare administration positions. Or just start at the bottom and work up--get your foot in the door at a hospital or something. Remember this and you'll be fine: If your way is blocked from what you want to do, there is always another way. Keep looking for the back door. (or the side door) Yes, there is work involved, but if you can't do the work to get a job, who is going to believe that you'll do the work when you get one?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have a BS in math and make 6-figs. Not sure what to add to your emo-fest but oh welll.
There are complaints all over this forum about what not to get a degree in or field to enter...math now, chemistry, education. I bet if a thread were started we could make a long list.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
There are complaints all over this forum about what not to get a degree in or field to enter...math now, chemistry, education. I bet if a thread were started we could make a long list.
That's because he's an actuary. His math degree is irrelevant at this point.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Why can't you study and work full time? I know a man who works full time, has five kids, and just got his college degree. Of course I give a lot of the credit to his wife, but still that's quite an accomplishment. I know plenty of people who have worked FT and gone to school. Someone said on this thread that you don't even have to go back to school--that you can just study for the tests. That would save you a lot of time if you don't have to go to classes--you can just organize your study time. Do you have moments at work when you can study? What is your FT job? Do you have a family to support?

I just studied for and took tests for teaching certification for English teaching and special ed this year while working FT and raising my 2 dd's alone, so you can do this. I passed all of them, but then the jobs dried up. No problem; I have another idea for what I can do.

Also, what's stopping you from getting healthcare experience? Is your present job so great that you can't get a different one? I assume it's not since you're on here complaining about your degree. Research healthcare administration positions. Or just start at the bottom and work up--get your foot in the door at a hospital or something. Remember this and you'll be fine: If your way is blocked from what you want to do, there is always another way. Keep looking for the back door. (or the side door) Yes, there is work involved, but if you can't do the work to get a job, who is going to believe that you'll do the work when you get one?
I appreciate the encouragement!

What makes it tough is that I don't have any time at work to study, I work for the missing link with a bad attitude, and I have a family to support. I've been looking for another job for 6 months and have gotten nowhere.

Healthcare administration jobs are difficult to get and they don't require a math degree. I've given up ever trying to use my education, which is why I started this thread. I don't want other people to make the same mistake I did.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:45 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I'm going to do the OP one better .. don't get a Bachelor's degree, period!!! It's not a guarantee of anything. In fact, neither is a high school diploma. You might as well just drop out of 7th grade.

Oh, and don't bother working either. The government will just take your money and put it into Social Security .. we all know how that's going to turn out. You think you are going to ever see that money? And putting money into 401Ks? You think that money is safe? lol .. you're living in a fantasy land my friend. No, you're just better off not working, scrounging, dumpster diving, mooching .. you know, whatever you can do to scrape by.

I wouldn't recommend getting married, having children or buying a house either, but I'll save that for another time.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
That's because he's an actuary. His math degree is irrelevant at this point.
I know an actuary that has a math degree as well. You mentioned in the OP that you wanted to teach, right? It seems like a math degree would be a good way to go...with a double major in education I suppose. I'm in the camp that a degree does not equal a job/career. It's definitely an ingredient in the mix, but not the recipe entirely.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:07 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Go with a degree in physics not math. Physics is just applied calculus, to a large extent, and if you can teach AP Physics you can teach AP Calc which is about the highest math they teach in public school.

This allow to to pass the praxis for both math and physics. And physics is just plain more fun than plain math. You can do more with it when you graduate. Get some teaching credentials on the side. Then find a job in industry or an internship with a university, or something that puts you outside the pack.

Then when you apply don't just do it by mail or email. Visit the person who might be making the decisions to put a face to the paperwork. Remember, the person looking at your resume has 200 on hs desk that look JUST LIKE YOU.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks, but I'm done with school. I just don't care any more. The happiest day of my life was graduating from high school. I didn't want to go to college, but I did anyway because that's what you're "supposed" to do.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Everyone goes on to different paths. A friend married someone with a math degree. That person worked in software and later a Microsoft division. Software and math are both logic fields. Another person I know with a math degree went to marketing analysis.

If you want something, you have to work to get it. It's not surprising, and eventually the ones who do the work can move past the ones that don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities