Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM

177 posts, read 471,269 times

Advertisements

what can you really do with a political science degree? im interested in law, but i need backup plan if that doesnt go my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:46 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
It's like any other liberal arts degree. Take that as you will.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
If it's from a top university it will probably pay off. If it is from a normal or no-name state school...can you say, "Do you want fries with your Socrates"?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
I tried for a minute the MPA degree (Masters in Public Administration); there were a lot of Political Science majors there in my class. I didn't like the classes but a lot of Political Science majors go into the public sector.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
If it is from a normal or no-name state school...can you say, "Do you want fries with your Socrates"?
A lot of political science majors go into the public sector especially if they secure internships in their senior year which can sometimes come easy depending on the city. The city and state will have the internship programs listed on their website and students can apply; most students end up securing a position after graduation in the public sector.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
A lot of political science majors go into the public sector especially if they secure internships in their senior year which can sometimes come easy depending on the city. The city and state will have the internship programs listed on their website and students can apply; most students end up securing a position after graduation in the public sector.
This is true, but going on to get a master's of some sort (not in poli sci, usually an MPA/MPP/MA in Int'l Relations etc) is practically a de facto requirement these days.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I have a BA in Political Science from Boston College. I currently work in transportation, lol. I'm pretty much using my Poli Sci degree in lieu of a Business degree. Now, I will be flat out honest that for me, it didn't matter what my degree was in as I went to Boston College. The name has opened plenty of doors along my career path and almost no one cares what my degree was in just the fact I went there is good enough.

For most people that won't be the case (please don't take me for an elitist, it's just the truth and unless people ask me where I went to school or it has a bearing in the conversation, I don't even mention it) and what you plan to do with the degree is the most important thing. A large number of Poli Sci folks from higher tier schools use that as a stepping stone towards a law degree. Still many more use it as the first step towards a masters in several areas including Public Admin, International Relations, Business Admin, etc. I would be the first to tell you that a base Poli Sci degree is only worth about as much as the school you went to and if you hope to pursue a field in government, campaign management, etc. a higher level degree is a must to get the most out of that career path.

I had originally pursued Poli Sci as I wanted to get into government and in particular campaign management. It didn't take long before I realized I didn't have the pocket book or temperment for that line of work. I kicked around the idea of going into teaching, but ultimately landed a job at a large trucking company as an asset manager and my career went from there.

Again, think long and hard about the career choice you want. If you aren't sure a generic business degree is ultimately more useful. However, if you are thinking Law School, Poli Sci is the most common first step.

PS Before considering getting the degree if you aren't going to be attending a top 50 school look long and hard at schools that are in the top 20 for the area you want to study and failing that pick a local state university with a good reputation and broad curriculum. Like I said, the name carries you further than the degree.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
This is true, but going on to get a master's of some sort (not in poli sci, usually an MPA/MPP/MA in Int'l Relations etc) is practically a de facto requirement these days.
Depends on the work environment, city, employer, etc. I don't need one (I do program administration) but when the time comes that an employer will pay for it, I'll go for it! Know co-workers and others who have pursued it and it didn't play a role in their position but it all depends on the employer and city.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Depends on the work environment, city, employer, etc. I don't need one (I do program administration) but when the time comes that an employer will pay for it, I'll go for it! Know co-workers and others who have pursued it and it didn't play a role in their position but it all depends on the employer and city.
True. Unfortunately cities aren't exactly hiring left and right with their budget issues right now.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
what can you really do with a political science degree? im interested in law, but i need backup plan if that doesnt go my way.
no offense, but this is an ass backwards way of choosing a major. You should find a line of work that intersts you and base your major on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities