Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I think a skyline like Albuquerque's would be a good model for Colorado Springs, do you agree?
I do. In terms of size, that is. Albuquerque's Southwestern design would not be a good fit in Colorado Springs. but a couple towers of 25-30 stories that are nicely designed to look appropriate in Colorado Springs' geographic setting would be great. But I think that would take care of itself. Much of Albuquerque's skyline was built in the 1970s when design of all things, from fashion to cars to stadiums to high rises just, well, sucked. Colorado Springs would be building in an age of much improved and revived design. The late Cooper Tower project is a good example.

@ Joss, you were right on one account, I just had to look for it. The height restrictions are gone for a the central sector of downtown. This from the city's files:

2.2.3 The Central Sector
This sector shall not have a maximum building height, nor will there be City mandated minimum parking requirements. The City’s primary goal for the Central Sector is to increase downtown density, create an iconic skyline and establish a high-quality pedestrian environment at street level.

Thankfully it will be a very long time before there is a demand for a 50 story tower, if ever. Hopefully the city can get it done in the 25-30 story range. And even that is a ways off.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I think a skyline like Albuquerque's would be a good model for Colorado Springs, do you agree?
Actually, now that I think about it, I think cities like Omaha and Des Moines provide a better model. With the height of each cities' highest being the exception. Again, I'm not against height, I just think the city should try to preserve the mountain backdrop.

Des Moines has a nice skyline that would be a very good model for a city the size of Colorado Springs.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:03 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, I think cities like Omaha and Des Moines provide a better model. With the height of each cities' highest being the exception. Again, I'm not against height, I just think the city should try to preserve the mountain backdrop.

Des Moines has a nice skyline that would be a very good model for a city the size of Colorado Springs.
Yeah Im originally from Cleveland and I always have to ride past there on family trips, I love Omaha's and Des Moines' skylines, They each have a building over 600 feet and a ton of good complimenting buildings around it to make it stand out even more.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
I took the time to email the contact on their website. He confirmed that the project is on hold and not canceled. Maybe your sources that "told you" otherwise know better. You would think that if Nor'Wood had canceled a project that somebody would tell their spokesperson!

As we say in the military, "trust, but verify"
I realize after I read some more I was thinking the cooper tower not the Pikes Peak Place.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM

That tower in Des Moines is a very nice looking one. Something similar in design going in Colorado Springs may be enough for me to reconsider my stance on height! But I am getting ahead of myself. The top priority should remain street level amenities and quality of design.

Joss sent out a link on Form Based Codes. From there, I found a link to a report from the city. I think you may find this interesting:

http://www.springsgov.com/Files/Form...inal%20Web.pdf

It's a lengthy PDF that may take some time to upload. I've skimmed through it and it seems like they have some very good ideas. With these guidelines, and Palmer Village and Pikes Peak Place waiting for the economy to swing around, I think down town Colorado Springs may be on the brink of a revival. Taking the next step, so to speak.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I realize after I read some more I was thinking the cooper tower not the Pikes Peak Place.
You are forgiven.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
That tower in Des Moines is a very nice looking one. Something similar in design going in Colorado Springs may be enough for me to reconsider my stance on height! But I am getting ahead of myself. The top priority should remain street level amenities and quality of design.

Joss sent out a link on Form Based Codes. From there, I found a link to a report from the city. I think you may find this interesting:

http://www.springsgov.com/Files/Form...inal%20Web.pdf

It's a lengthy PDF that may take some time to upload. I've skimmed through it and it seems like they have some very good ideas. With these guidelines, and Palmer Village and Pikes Peak Place waiting for the economy to swing around, I think down town Colorado Springs may be on the brink of a revival. Taking the next step, so to speak.
I do know the rendering is old as that was the baseball stadium that sadly did not get built in downtown. I, also, think the developers wanted to city to fund a convention center that did not pass. To be honest I think this is what downtown Colorado Springs could of been like had they built certain amenities in downtown not because of the economy. Unfortunately I think the ship has sailed on this vision.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Unfortunately I think the ship has sailed on this vision.
No more so than the ship sailing on the Pueblo-Springs Ranch project. And whereas the annexation rights to Pueblo-Springs Ranch are in jeopardy of expiring as the project remains on hold, both the Pikes Peak Place and Palmer Village are projects that are spearheaded within city limits and by a private developer who is just waiting for the economic green light. It may not look exactly like the sketch, but if the project is able to accomplish even a portion of its ambitions, it will lead to big improvements.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
No more so than the ship sailing on the Pueblo-Springs Ranch project. And whereas the annexation rights to Pueblo-Springs Ranch are in jeopardy of expiring as the project remains on hold, both the Pikes Peak Place and Palmer Village are projects that are spearheaded within city limits and by a private developer who is just waiting for the economic green light. It may not look exactly like the sketch, but if the project is able to accomplish even a portion of its ambitions, it will lead to big improvements.
Unfortunately most large developments are on hold because of this economy. However, this development might happen in the future but it will be without a baseball stadium, arena or convention center. That is what I mean by the ship has sailed.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 AM

True about the economy, this is a recurring theme in our discussions.

Additional thoughts on the baseball stadium: Service Security recently (2004) put some money towards updating Sky Sox Stadium, now appropriately called Service Security Field. This is as much a reason for the stadium downtown being a pipe dream as anything else. But the truth is that the stadium is dated, and below par for what is expected of a AAA ball park. It is not going to last forever, and when time comes to move the team to an updated venue, you can bet that Colorado Springs is going to give downtown a long hard look. As long as there are still semi-blighted blocks down there, there is a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs