Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 AM

71 posts, read 193,720 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to CS in June. My husband is in the military and will be working at Peterson AFB. We will be visiting in March to house hunt and get a better look at the various areas. We are most interested in school districts 20, 12, and 38. My daughter will be a ninth grader and needs a school that will challenge her academically as well as artistically. We would prefer to find a home with a little land, possibly 2-5 acres. I have been focusing my online hunt to the Black Forest area. I believe the commute will be acceptable, but I wonder if that area gets snowed in very much during the winter as I realize they get more snow due to the elevation and the woods tend to keep the snow from melting as quickly. From my understanding, Black Forest is close to shopping and a hospital. Am I correct?

Other areas I like if we do not choose Black Forest and give up our preference to having land seem to be Woodmoor and Rockrimmon. I have also found some houses in the Cheyenne Mountain area, though the houses seem to be older with small lots. From my understanding, this area has built up to it's capacity because of the surrounding mountains.

Thanks everyone,

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
The Black Forest area can get a bit more snow than Rockrimmon, but it depends on the storm track and/or the altitude at which one lives. IMO, BF doesn't get so much more snow that it would influence my decision to live there, it's a lovely area. A few days a year you'll have a snowy road to navigate, but just about everyone out there has a 4x4, AWD or FWD vehicle. Subaru's are the "official" snow car of Colorado drivers. Woodmoor is as far north as BF, it's basically just west of BF and near I-25, and probably gets as much snow as BF since it's on Monument Hill and/or the Palmer Divide (as east-west ridge that tends to play into weather patterns).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,382 times
They do tend to get more snow and like you said the trees do prevent it from melting as quickly. If you are use to driving in the snow and have a front wheel drive or a 4x4 you shouldn't have much problems. It is located close to the new hospitals and shopping. Rockrimmon is nice but you may not find many homes with acreage there. Woodmoor is similar to Black Forest and is a little further north of Colorado Springs in Monument. Monument does get more snow then Colorado Springs. Again if you are use to driving in the snow you shouldn't have too much problem. Our county and city are pretty good about getting out and clearing the major roads. Cheyenne Mountain is further South and does have some nice homes again not much with acreage.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: realtor advertising not allowed

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I am quite used to driving in snow. I have lived in Utah, near Salt Lake (which I would compare to CS in terms of weather), and have been living in Ohio for several years. I did not realize that Woodmoor was in Monument. I guess I didn't look closely enough. Of course, once we make our trip out to house hunt in March, we will get our own feel for what we like. Schools are a big determining factor for us. My daughter is highly intelligent and needs to be challenged. I have narrowed my search to Districts 12, 20, and 38.

Thanks again,

Mary

Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM

66 posts, read 142,071 times
Mary,

I have friends that are military that live in Monument in the Jackson Creek area and have daughters that go to Lewis Palmer HS (District 38). They seem to really like the school. Both her daughters are very bright! We currently live in Ohio as well but are hoping to move to CS when my husband retires this Oct.

Good luck on your search. It is beautiful out there and I'm sure you will have a much better idea of where you want to be once you make your trip out there.

Marie

Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
Of the three school districts listed I would personally go with Cheyenne Mountain; combination of their course offerings, the activities offered for the school, and overall strength of the school.

The current principal of Cheyenne Mountain is someone I feel I had the fortune to have worked a very short bit with in my short career.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM

I have been leaning toward District 12 as well. It seems to offer great academics and extra-curricular activities and is a smaller school district. It is the same size as ours where we currently live. Recently, I have read about some problems with the teachers at the high school, but then I realize, in general, people tend to write more negative comments than positive. I know this is a very affluent area, but the area where we currently live is as well, with us falling somewhere in the middle as far as house size. My daughter is good at ignoring the materialism and is more focused on her future, (believe it or not, she is in 8th grade).

Thanks again,

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs