Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM

40 posts, read 94,492 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to move to CO from Seattle, for improved weather while still having access to the fantastic outdoors. I am a professional, single woman in her early 30's. Politically speaking, I am mostly moderate though slightly left leaning, and am not terribly religious. I don't feel the need to be close to a big city for the bar scene/nightlife, but do want the ability to meet other singles. I work in healthcare, and the job availability is better in CoS than Denver or Boulder, but I don't want to move somewhere that will make my social life non-existent. So, I'm hoping all you fabulous Colorado Springs natives can help me figure out if this is a potential place for me. I do plan to come visit, but won't be doing that for a few more weeks...

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,094 times
Well, I moved to the Springs from Seattle a few years ago. Did not like it at all. The outdoor opportunities are pretty good, but seemed like there were less people into the outdoors in the springs (esp. compared to other areas of Colorado, Denver, FoCo, Boulder ).
Compared to Seattle (which has a good size population of single 20/30s) the springs will be pretty limited pickings. Most people seem to get married in their early 20's, and without a whole lot of jobs in non-military related industries, the city just doesn't attract a lot of single professional-type people. You will meet a LOT of young families and military folks.

For me the Springs just wasn't even close to the cultural and social aspects of Seattle. I'm sure not having a major university (and no, AFA doesn't count as a normal large university) is some of the reason for this.

Way cheaper housing though. And better mountain biking

Old 06-21-2011, 03:35 PM

310 posts, read 1,246,079 times
Go to Denver. Your description has Denver written all over it. People choose Denver 5 to 1 over the Springs.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 PM

40 posts, read 94,492 times
Thanks for the input, that confirms what I was pretty much thinking.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 PM

310 posts, read 1,246,079 times
I'm not kidding either. Denver has ten times the positives that the Springs has and just one or 2 negatives in my opinion. Maybe some more traffic, people....that's about it. Denver has tons of things to do...it's like comparing Seattle to Boise, ID.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,213 times
However, you could be a big fish in this small pond, if you like.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 AM

30 posts, read 64,731 times
Default Just moved here

I am late 20'- early 30's and would say Denver over CS. There is better access to the hotspots such as Boulder and the popular mountain areas with CS and Fort Collins not being to far of a drive.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM

46 posts, read 336,633 times
No question at all.
**MOVE TO DENVER** (or stay in Seattle)

I'm 31. I'm originally from Vancouver, BC. I've lived here for (unfortunately) 3+ years.
Avoid this place. I can't wait to move away. Somewhere big and warm preferably. ie AZ, FL.

Colorado Springs:
-small & boring
-roads are terrible
-people can't drive
-the city is broke
-trying to get a table in any restaurant on Friday or Saturday night or Saturday or Sunday morning is impossible (unless you wait an hour)
-The seasons go as follows: Winter, still winter, spring/summer-ish (for 2 weeks) thunderstorm-everyday-socalled-summer, fall (3 weeks), winter again
-Very, very conservative politically.
-The landscape is yellow. The locals love the summer rain, but the landscape never turns green.
-Skiing & snowboarding is at minimum 2 hours away.

Unless you're in the military or were born here, you'll hate it after 1 year.

Do yourself a favor. Don't move here!
(1.5 years until my 3-year, 1st time home buyers credit requirement expires and I can sell and leave. Counting down the days)

Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 AM

30 posts, read 64,731 times
Default Still loving it

I've had a bit of a different experience from the previous post. Compared to OR(Eugene area) it is a bit more conservative in CO but there is plenty of wilderness to get away from anything that ails you. I have just moved here and the last month has been hot hot hot and nothing but sun with evening thunder and lightening. I am north of Denver and I work in Denver. On the weekends we sometimes travel to CS to see the mountains there or travel to the mountains out west of Denver too. I don't really stop in CS but I wouldn't call it "not green". I read a lot of "not green" stuff online before moving here and yeah, sure, it might not be as rainforesty as WA or OR (not that OR has rainforest) but it is definitely green in it's own way. Boulder threw me for a loop and reminded me of Eugene, OR in many different ways. This is, of course, only my opinion and how I view things so I would say "see for yourself and then you can make your own decision as to whether you like it or not." Just like everywhere, you will find ppl happy with where they are and ppl that are not happy with where they are and are still looking for that place to call home. As for me.....I have found my home. It is sunny yet still full of outdoor activity while being bike friendly and (in the Denver area)full of life and enough city activity to be a night owl. If there was such a thing as heaven on earth, this would be it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs