Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,932 times

Advertisements

Deserved or not, CS seems to have a persisting image or reputation as an intolerant city. It was a concern of ours before moving here last year from VA (yes, the city's reputation was well known that far away). Feedback from friends who live here and from this forum, helped to dispel that notion, and we made the decision to relocate here. Thus far, our original concern was unfounded. We have found CS to be a very live and let live community and have felt welcomed here. However, that doesn't change the fact that the reputation persists. I think that's why the recent incidents that suggest intolerance may have been blown out of proportion. If the city had a better reputation for being a tolerant community, these incidents would probably have been either considered as non-news or otherwise isolated incidents relegated to the back pages of both the local newspapers. I don't know what it will take to change that reputation, but my guess is it will take some proactive measures to do so. For instance, would it have killed the new mayor to have ridden in the recent PrideFest parade? He wouldn't have had to say a word, issue a proclamation, or even reveal his personal feelings regarding gay issues. My guess is that because of CS's reputation, that small gesture would have garnered a fair amount of positive publicity and would have been a step in helping to reverse the image. Instead, he missed an opportunity and the issue has dogged him and the city's reputation as well.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 PM

25 posts, read 50,542 times
"tolerance" is a funny word - seems that those who demand it most, practice it least

Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 13,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron of BBQ View Post
"tolerance" is a funny word - seems that those who demand it most, practice it least
You said it. I also don't understand why intolerance seems to be treated as a dirty word.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Deserved or not, CS seems to have a persisting image or reputation as an intolerant city. It was a concern of ours before moving here last year from VA (yes, the city's reputation was well known that far away). Feedback from friends who live here and from this forum, helped to dispel that notion, and we made the decision to relocate here. Thus far, our original concern was unfounded. We have found CS to be a very live and let live community and have felt welcomed here. However, that doesn't change the fact that the reputation persists. I think that's why the recent incidents that suggest intolerance may have been blown out of proportion. If the city had a better reputation for being a tolerant community, these incidents would probably have been either considered as non-news or otherwise isolated incidents relegated to the back pages of both the local newspapers. I don't know what it will take to change that reputation, but my guess is it will take some proactive measures to do so. For instance, would it have killed the new mayor to have ridden in the recent PrideFest parade? He wouldn't have had to say a word, issue a proclamation, or even reveal his personal feelings regarding gay issues. My guess is that because of CS's reputation, that small gesture would have garnered a fair amount of positive publicity and would have been a step in helping to reverse the image. Instead, he missed an opportunity and the issue has dogged him and the city's reputation as well.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Colorado Springs has options of improving its image but they choose not to and personally I think that is because many of the political leaders in the Springs are not tolerant. I think the reason is the political spectrum in the Springs is far right just like you have the far left in charge of Boulder and personally I think going to that extreme on either side is not good for the overall health of a community.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:31 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,901,433 times
Those pride fests are a circus. Never seen so many scantily dressed people in public before. I was in downtown Denver a couple of months ago and got to view it from the car while stuck in traffic for 10 minutes due to the streets being closed. You don't see hetrosexuals having a Straight Parade/Fest.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,410,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Those pride fests are a circus. Never seen so many scantily dressed people in public before. I was in downtown Denver a couple of months ago and got to view it from the car while stuck in traffic for 10 minutes due to the streets being closed. You don't see hetrosexuals having a Straight Parade/Fest.
I find those public prurient displays as disgusting and many gay professionals and other gay lesbian and transexuals citizens agree. These characteristics of dress and modes of behavior do not belong on a public street so as to offend other members of society and to be viewed by children.

This behavior defeats much of the respect that these people should receive and hurts this movement for recognition of their rights. However, thier rights do not extend to these public displays with an overt sexual overtone.

The gay rights movements has to stop setting themselves for ridicule by behavior that encourages stereotypes of gays that is not indicative of the whole group of gays in all parts of our society.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-04-2011 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM

^

Have you guys ever been to Mardi Graw in New Orleans? That is just one example and I can come up with more.

However, that is really off topic because you can not like the Colorado Springs gay pride and parade but still treat the citizens with respect. That includes having hate crime laws that would not only protect the GLBT community but the Christian community as well because I feel its just as much a hate crime if someone is attacked because of his or her faith just like it is if someone is attacked just because of his or her sexual orientation. Colorado Springs had the chance to lead in this area and as usual did not and that is a main reaon why I have issues with that city.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 PM

6,817 posts, read 9,370,545 times
I guess I don't see why some people seem to think that the mayor and city council are OBLIGATED to reach out to the gay community. I don't have a problem with being gay (I'm gay and fine with it, like I previously mentioned), but I also don't expect special treatment from anyone because of it.

It's a shame that the sign was defaced, but it could happen anywhere.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,410,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
^

Have you guys ever been to Mardi Graw in New Orleans? That is just one example and I can come up with more.

However, that is really off topic because you can not like the Colorado Springs gay pride and parade but still treat the citizens with respect. That includes having hate crime laws that would not only protect the GLBT community but the Christian community as well because I feel its just as much a hate crime if someone is attacked because of his or her faith just like it is if someone is attacked just because of his or her sexual orientation. Colorado Springs had the chance to lead in this area and as usual did not and that is a main reaon why I have issues with that city.
You cannot defend these parades by saying there are others that, may or may not, have other problems. I never said I do not like and accept gay pride parades--I just do not like some of the behavior. Some believe that acting disgustingly, in public, is acceptable--it is not. Remember I am saying in public; as what is done in private is not always acceptable everywhere in public.

I do not accept people being attacked for their views of gods and/or their social sexual orientations; but I will continue to voice my opinions against gays who do harm by defending and engaging in such egregious behavior. You do not represent all of the gay community; you may think you do; you may want to, but you do not.

I do not believe that Public Officials in the Springs have to come to a big defense of gays by making it a bigger issue, which the incident does not deserve. So, now I am on topic--live with it.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-04-2011 at 11:10 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I guess I don't see why some people seem to think that the mayor and city council are OBLIGATED to reach out to the gay community. I don't have a problem with being gay (I'm gay and fine with it, like I previously mentioned), but I also don't expect special treatment from anyone because of it.

It's a shame that the sign was defaced, but it could happen anywhere.
The mayor and city council represent all citizens of Colorado Springs including the GLBT community. So reaching out to them is not "special treatment" especially when it comes to crimes that are directed towards that group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs