Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 15,638 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating soon to the area, and I was curious about our prospects at bulk buying out in the area, as well as what the best ethnic groceries in the area were.

We currently live in Olympia, WA and do our grocery shopping at the local food co-op, the employee owned WinCo, and a couple Asian grocers (one Thai/Filipino, the other Korean/Japanese). We are vegans so no need for a good meat or dairy section. We do buy a lot of various dried beans/peas/lentils, dried pastas, rice, and a TON of fresh produce. We like buying loose bulk a lot (tends to be cheaper). We prefer to support local non-chains, followed by employee owned chains, and then the big box stores if there happens to be something we can't find elsewhere.

Anything good in the area, or will we end up traveling to Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,828 times
Sunflower Market on North Academy is close to what you're looking for. It's a chain, but very limited. But, they'll have the loose/bulk goods.

You'll definitely enjoy the Asian Pacific Market on Wooten! It's by far the largest of the ethnic markets in town.

There's a small Indian Market connected to Taste of India on Academy and Flintridge. More than a few small Mexican markets. Several Korean markets.

And, in season, there are several Farmer's Markets. Nothing beats fresh produce.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:15 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Plus Vitamin Cottage/Natural Foods and Mountain Mama's.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:36 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,319 times
For a TON of fresh (organic) produce, I suggest you look into one of the CSA's that delivers locally (usually to a nearby residential drop-off):

Grant Family Farms: Vegetable Shares
CSA

Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
There is the Asian Pacific Market over on Platte, near Powers, a rather large one if IIRC.

For starters, here's our old thread on the topic of Asian Markets, with some very big Asian markets in Denver.

I know there are Mexican markets too, one of the bigger ones being Carniceria Leonela and also one called Liborio.

Google this: asian market colorado springs for a list of possibilities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,171,982 times
We shop at the aforementioned Sunflower Market for non-Asian grocery items. In October each year before the frost, we head down to the Don Mauro Farms in Pueblo (takes about 50 minutes from CS) and pick our own Asian produce like daikon, napa cabbage, red chilli, melon, onion, squash and various other produce items. We pick enough chilli peppers to last a whole year until the following October by drying them. Along with daikon and napa, we make months supply of kimchi and mu-kimchi, etc.

In CS, there are about 6 Korean grocery markets, 1 large aforementioned Asian Market on Platte, 1 Vietnamese market, and 1 or 2 Indian market. We shop in any of these markets for immediately needed items, mostly perishable, but we reserve our largest purchases of non-perishable as well as fresh meat and produce at Han Ah Reum Asian Market off Havana and Yale in Denver (Aurora) and Midopa Asian Market nearby. Han Ah Reum Market in particular is impressive with their selection of fresh produce and other items that you simply won't find in CS, period, or the entire state, for that matter. This is the only Asian grocery market in the state of CO that'd rival those found in L.A.'s Korea Town. We don't drive up north to Denver just for a grocery shopping. Basically, we time it to other visit needs.

If you're not an Asian, your needs for Asian grocery items would be met most likely without having to travel outside of CS.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
For a TON of fresh (organic) produce, I suggest you look into one of the CSA's that delivers locally (usually to a nearby residential drop-off):

Grant Family Farms: Vegetable Shares
CSA
It didn't even occur to me to look into a CSA out there, thanks so much for bringing it up!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
We shop at the aforementioned Sunflower Market for non-Asian grocery items. In October each year before the frost, we head down to the Don Mauro Farms in Pueblo (takes about 50 minutes from CS) and pick our own Asian produce like daikon, napa cabbage, red chilli, melon, onion, squash and various other produce items. We pick enough chilli peppers to last a whole year until the following October by drying them. Along with daikon and napa, we make months supply of kimchi and mu-kimchi, etc.

In CS, there are about 6 Korean grocery markets, 1 large aforementioned Asian Market on Platte, 1 Vietnamese market, and 1 or 2 Indian market. We shop in any of these markets for immediately needed items, mostly perishable, but we reserve our largest purchases of non-perishable as well as fresh meat and produce at Han Ah Reum Asian Market off Havana and Yale in Denver (Aurora) and Midopa Asian Market nearby. Han Ah Reum Market in particular is impressive with their selection of fresh produce and other items that you simply won't find in CS, period, or the entire state, for that matter. This is the only Asian grocery market in the state of CO that'd rival those found in L.A.'s Korea Town. We don't drive up north to Denver just for a grocery shopping. Basically, we time it to other visit needs.

If you're not an Asian, your needs for Asian grocery items would be met most likely without having to travel outside of CS.
I'll keep that in mind for next year, thanks! I'm Filipina, but since becoming vegan I've branched my cooking out into more Indian and Thai, and I've been experimenting in Korean and Japanese cooking. It looks like there is enough variety in CoS that we should be able to manage most of our Asian grocery shopping in the area with a couple yearly stock-up trips into outlying areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs