Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 05:31 AM

12 posts, read 34,593 times

Advertisements

I'm returning to Colorado Springs when this school year is out. I lived in Widefield for one year, then I had to move to Florida 4.5 years ago to care for dying father. I'm ready to get back there as soon as possible now, but will wait until May or June (after this school year). I'm not crazy about buying in Widefield again, I thought it was kind of run-down.

I'll be looking for at least one-half acre, house size doesn't matter since it's just me (I've got grown children who live in Denver and Austin). No manufactured homes. I like the feel of Black Forest, but I also like being next to the National Forest on the west side. If I can't get the acreage, house should back up to open space. I want a quiet part of town, not too interested in night life or shopping, although a grocery store and a library close by would be nice.

At this point I'm not sure what school district I'll be in. My price maximum will be $220,000. Any suggestions where I should look? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:25 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,383,342 times
You could definately get what you're looking for on the NW side of town, and depending on which part, it may be district 11 or 20.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,706,156 times
I've been saying it all over, there is a lot of development in certain parts of Widefield, and a lot of it is nice. But if you're not looking for that, and prefer a more quaint and interesting place to live (can't say I blame ya) I'd say north, west, even look at Manitou. They are their own school district over there. Is "open space" a requirement, or would "in the woods" work for you? (I assume you're trying to avoid the packed-together housing which is common in Widefield and many other places, especially with new builds.) I just did a search on ppar.com and if you could stretch your house budget as far as the 230's, you could get a killer custom house in the woods right by Manitou.

If my house decisions weren't presently based on keeping my 13 year old in a school he likes, I'd be interested in those houses myself! They are cool! Search up the listing for 3756 Red Canon PL Colorado Springs, CO 80904 <--THAT is what I'm talkin' about!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Default Thank you for your replies

Thank you both for your responses. I definitely will look at NW. Open space or woods, either would be fine, but after 5 years of living in Florida where my next door neighbors literally are 20 feet away from me, partying in their driveway as I'm trying to sleep, I'm ready for a little space around me. Kind of a buffer zone. Plus I like walking trails, and one of the things I most liked about Widefield is that I could walk out my back fence and be in Widefield Park, where I could walk for miles along the stream and river, and it was peaceful.

About Manitou - I've always been intrigued by it, but I'm afraid I'm too conservative and too Republican to really fit in there. But their school district is currently looking for a teacher who teaches exactly what I teach - so, it's tempting!

I'll check 80904, 80905, 80919. And of course 80908.

Thank you again!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 AM

I always find it interesting when people say that they are too liberal for the Springs area, or as you did, too conservative for Manitou (just the general statement of being too ___ for ____.) I don't think I'd ever let my politics dictate where I'd be OK living. I mean, you'd want to visually inspect the house to make sure it's far enough from the neighbors that the hippies aren't partying in your yard LOL...but that aside, while I'm pretty firmly Libertarian, I'd just soak up the arts and culture and not worry too much about what people's politics are. A need to be immersed in like-thinking isn't something I have, and I've never felt threatened by being surrounded with people who have different predominant ideologies. In fact, it can be an interesting experience.

But that is just my opinion. Best wishes and good luck to you!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:29 PM

930 posts, read 1,656,647 times
Manitou has always impressed me, I know a teacher there who loves it. It's a very stable district. Can be difficult as you have very, very different types of people (kids who live in long-term hotels vs. children of multimillionaires), and that the choiced-kids are 60%... but it always seems to be a good, solid district.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Yeah I just found it nearly shocking that they didn't have Orchestra...I mean, not even in high school...it's just band. In a town with such a culture, I'd think that arts and music would be a higher priority. But it IS a small district, so I dunno.

Had the lack of orchestra not been a deal-breaker for me, I probably would have insisted on living there. I love places with character!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,070 times
Default Colo Spgs Again?

first: Sorry about the reason you had to return to Fla. How did ythat turn out? I need not know someone to feel heartache for them Tough isnt it. Actually i think Security has improved as crime statistics show Colo Spgs is on the incline. Add to that more traffic, people, etc and why not have a short drive to un-wind before or after work. I lived in So. Fla 13 years. After 3rd year I complained daily about heat/humidity. I think you need to decide if you want house, townhouse, apt etc. Woodland Pk is nice but colder and a longer drive. Think it over though. Good luck

Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 AM

Default Thanks Cmrdf5...

Yes, I lived in Houston for 29 years before I finally realized my long-time goal of moving to Colorado. Springs was the first job offer I got, and I was so happy to be there. Then my dad got sick (after I'd been there only one year) and it was a really tough decision, but I knew it was the right thing to do - I could not stay in CO while my father was dying in FL. He died last year, and although I'm still grieving for him, he left his house to me, and I'm living in it, and I still feel his spirit here. It will be hard for me to leave this house, because I've totally remodeled it and it's brand new inside and out, and beautiful!

That said, EVERY SINGLE DAY I look at teaching jobs and home for rent and sale in COS. I am making plans to put my house on the market in the spring, and begin trying to get a job in COS (I teach 8th grade US History in the IB Programme) to begin August 2013.

Thank you again for your empathy.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 AM

930 posts, read 1,656,647 times
If you teach IB, then focus your search to North Middle School, Palmer HS, Horizon MS, Sand Creek HS, Mountain Ridge MS, Rampart HS, and Discovery Canyon Campus- D11, D49, and D20... all are schools that have IB. Farther north, you'd have some Douglas CO schools that have IB as well as numerous ones in Denver.

IB has spread like wildfire here in CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs