Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 14,028 times

Advertisements

Hello! My boyfriend, our child (3yo dog), and I are planning to move to Colorado Springs in January or February 2012; this depends on when I am able to get a job there. We have done a lot of research online, but feel like some of our questions may be more thoroughly answered by Colorado Springs locals. Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated, as this is our first time making a big move like this.

Background Info:

I am a recent grad from a Physical Therapist Assistant program and am now licensed in the state of MT. I already know what is required of me as a PTA when applying for positions in CO. However, I do not know anything about the facilities I will be applying for or the area. Plus, I have read online that many out of staters have a hard time getting hired. Therefore, I first plan on trying to get a traveling PTA job in the area. Hopefully this will allow us to become familiar with Colorado Springs, the jobs that may be available, and help me network with some fellow therapists.

My boyfriend recently got out of the military and will be going to school and working part time during school and/or full time during the summers to help supplement the income he will be receiving from the military during school.

We have sweet pit bull/lab mix (whom appears mostly pit bull) and have been looking online for rentals that do not have breed restrictions. This appears to be close to impossible, so we are expecting to have to find a rental home. This may be better anyways, as our pup is used to living in a house and running around in our fenced-in yard.

Enough with the rambling... Here are our questions:
1. What travel therapy agency would you recommend I try or stay away from? I have looked for agency reviews online, but they haven't been too helpful.
2. Are there some physical therapy facilities (hospitals, rehab centers, skilled nursing/nursing homes, and private practices) that you would recommend me checking out or staying away from when looking for jobs.
3. What is our best option for finding a rental that will allow our pretty pup Kaiya? Is there property management company that you recommend?
4. Do you think that taking a traveling job at first is a good idea?
5. How much do you recommend having saved up for the move? I have estimated $1200-1800 for the U-Haul and traveling expenses by using online quotes, but don't know how much to have set aside for rental/pet deposit and other unknowns I may not be thinking of. I also understand that if I got hired for a permanent position they may help pay for moving expenses, but I am not planning on that. Moreover, I understand that a travel agency usually has allowances such as travel and housing.
6. What areas of Colorado Springs would you recommend living in? I know this depends on where I end up getting employed, but it may help ease our search.
7. Are there any summer jobs aimed at hiring students? In Montana, many students are able to get city/county or landscaping jobs during the summer that pay pretty well. I know it is kind of early to ask this question, but we would like a heads up so that my boyfriend can have an idea of his options while on summer break from school.
Any insight on moving or job searching in Colorado Springs would be greatly appreciated. I know I am forgetting some of the things that I wanted to ask, but at least this is a good start. I thank anyone in advance for trying to answer some of our questions.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 06:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,765,204 times
Old Colorado City would be a good place to look for small rentals w/ yards. We have a large dog (not a pit bull, though) and spent the same amount for a small 2br house with a nice yard as we did in our townhome in a part of town further north. We looked at several houses, however each owner requested to meet our dog in person before saying yes to the pet. You may have trouble in that respect, but there are lots of dog lovers in that part of town who may be more willing to work with you.

Where will your BF be attending school? The only 'student jobs' I'm aware of are through the colleges and are reserved for students of that college. I went to UCCS and there were plenty of summer jobs available for students...of course, they won't pay much, and might not be full-time. Outside of that, I've never heard of anything like you have in MT.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM

6 posts, read 14,028 times
Thanks for the information! I looked up Old Colorado City and we like it a lot. We are going to check it out when we get there.

I also have some other questions...

I have read/heard that the southern part of Colorado Springs has nicer weather, but it has a lot more crime. Is this true?

How are the small towns/suburbs outside of Colorado Springs?

Is there an area of town that has closer access to outdoor activities? We love hiking, biking, fishing, camping, and etc.

Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 PM

6,807 posts, read 10,454,887 times
1. There are a few particular areas of town that have a reputation for higher crime, and that includes an area on the southeast part of town. But the south in general does not have a lot more crime. Certain parts of it have less than other areas further north.
2. IMHO, they are all nice. If you're wanting warmer, you might like Fountain.
3. You're not that far anywhere, but generally speaking, you'll want to be on the West side of town to be closer to the mountains and most outdoor activities.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM

25 posts, read 55,002 times
1. Fort Carson, the Army post, is located in Colorado Springs. They have a Transition Assistance Program on post that would be more than happy to help your boyfriend find part time work. If you Google "Fort Carson TAP," the information about it should come up. Finding part time work should be easy.

The Evans Hospital on post also has a Physical Therapy department. Some of the PT assistants are soldiers. Other's are civilians. I had very good experience with them as a patient.

2. Colorado Springs is like any large town/city. There are good areas and there are bad pockets. Don't lease a place until you have seen it in person. Drive around the neighborhood at different times of the day to see whether you like it or not. If you find a place you are very interested in, contact the police department for crime statistics in that neighborhood. I think it is on their website.

3. I'm currently living southeast of Fort Carson which is towards the south end of Colorado Springs. We don't get as much snow as the northern part of town. Either way, the snow melts very quickly here. The temperatures are about 5-10 degrees warmer in the summer on this end of the county than towards the northern end.

4. The area to the west, such as Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs, is definately the closest to the most outdoor recreational activities. I've lived here about a year and a half. There are so many places to hike, jog, and bike that I haven't gotten anywhere close to trying each place out.

Good luck.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 PM

25 posts, read 55,002 times
The link for Fort Carson's transition assistance program is Fort Carson ACAP - ACAP Services

Old 12-12-2011, 12:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,077,890 times
Do you have to have military experience to take advantage of Fort Carson's TAP?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 32,023 times
I am applying for a Nursing position at Ft.Carson and would be very interested in hearing about the schools as well (15 y/o Freshman son). We have been living in Illinois for the last 5 yrs. and can't wait to get out of here! All the info. I have gleaned from this thread has been very helpful, as well as some of the other CS websites! Good to know the areas that are dog friendly, because I have 1 Chocolate Lab & 7 cats - all rescues.
Other questions:
  • What does an average Electric/Gas bill run for a 2/2?
  • What is the average Cable Bill run for Cable/Internet?
  • What do H2O bills run?
  • Any Annual vehicle costs, i.e. Inspections, special tire tags, ect?
Any other "tid-bits" you may be able to share will be an emmense help!

Merry Christmas all & stay warm!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:54 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,765,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchimook View Post
I am applying for a Nursing position at Ft.Carson and would be very interested in hearing about the schools as well (15 y/o Freshman son). We have been living in Illinois for the last 5 yrs. and can't wait to get out of here! All the info. I have gleaned from this thread has been very helpful, as well as some of the other CS websites! Good to know the areas that are dog friendly, because I have 1 Chocolate Lab & 7 cats - all rescues.
Other questions:
  • What does an average Electric/Gas bill run for a 2/2?
  • What is the average Cable Bill run for Cable/Internet?
  • What do H2O bills run?
  • Any Annual vehicle costs, i.e. Inspections, special tire tags, ect?
Any other "tid-bits" you may be able to share will be an emmense help!

Merry Christmas all & stay warm!
Average utilities in winter months for a 2/2 for us was usually ~150, give or take $20. A third of that in summer months (don't need A/C in COS)

No emissions test or annual inspections in El Paso county- just yearly registration renewal. I can't recall how much it usually was (~$20??) but it wasn't a problem.

Also, are you planning on renting an apartment? The area is reasonably pet-friendly but I can't imagine any place being OK with a dog and 7 cats. Not totally sure though.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 PM

6,807 posts, read 10,454,887 times
My home is about 900 square feet and in the coldest winter months, gas runs about $100-120, but only $20-30 in summer, electricity about 40 most months, water/sewer about 30 unless you water a lot. Depending on who your providers are and the energy efficiency of your appliances and place, rates may vary quite a bit. Registration is a lot more than $20, I'm afraid to say. It depends on the value of your car. If your car is worth, say, $12000, I would expect more than $200 once a year. Cable/Internet for most folks runs $100-150, but if you need it to be less, there are ways to economize.
Nearly all the schools are good. IMHO, there are four high schools in town I'd particularly advise against for your son: Sierra, Harrison, Mitchell, Wasson. If you happen to find a home in those areas, though, if you can find transportation for your son he can choice in to any school with room. Does he have particular interests? That might help me make a recommendation re: schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs