Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times

Advertisements

OP, concerning Pueblo, you mentioned "Our worry is that people will not/cannot afford a luxury of kung fu classes when other things have to come first". That's what I'd be worried about (forget the silly city rivalry, every state has them). Colorado Springs has a population of 416,427 and according to the Yellow Pages it has 73 martial arts type studios (I would assume with the retired military they are probably pretty kick ass studios too). Pueblo has a population of 107,577 and only 8 martial arts studios. One could look at that and say, wow Pueblo could use another martial arts studio. OR, one could wonder why does Pueblo only have 8 martial arts studios? I would be very worried that the people there can't afford lessons or they are just not interested for some reason. It sounds like you have lots of feelers out, which is good. I would also talk to youth groups and coachs at some of the schools. Hopefully, they have been just waiting for a business like yours to come along.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
No, you're right, it USED to be a steel town, the only thing is, Pueblo can't let that go, and refuses to demolish all that garbage.
Just more examples of the bias people in the Springs have towards Pueblo. I would give my thoughts about the Springs but I think everyone here knows how I feel.

FYI the steel mill in Pueblo is still here and its the most profitable its been in its 140 year history. So Pueblo remains a steel town.

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-05-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I already admit I am biased against the Springs. And it's not the fact he does not like Pueblo but what he posted that is a good example of the anti bias that exists.
You'll notice that I didn't use the word "bias" when defending RyanFreak's opinion. This is because to me, as I understand the meaning of the word "bias" it conveys a notion of unfair prejudice or being uninformed in an opinion. That poster claims to have been to Pueblo enough times to have formed an opinion. It doesn't make his opinion right or wrong, it just means that his preferences are set differently than are yours. It's not bias if it's based on experience. Likewise, I wouldn't call your opinion of Colorado Springs bias, it's simply a result of your preference.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You'll notice that I didn't use the word "bias" when defending RyanFreak's opinion. This is because to me, as I understand the meaning of the word "bias" it conveys a notion of unfair prejudice or being uninformed in an opinion. That poster claims to have been to Pueblo enough times to have formed an opinion. It doesn't make his opinion right or wrong, it just means that his preferences are set differently than are yours. It's not bias if it's based on experience. Likewise, I wouldn't call your opinion of Colorado Springs bias, it's simply a result of your preference.
Then we have a gentlemen's disagreement.

Its one thing not to like a city as not every city is for everyone but when it moves into absolute hatered and the refusal to see anything good about that town, even if the person knows a lot about that town, then it moves into bias. I fully admit I am biased against the Springs even though I know more about the town then most locals since I grew up here and over the years I admit that both cities have hurt themselves economically because of the bias some residents have of the other city. As far as his posts. It is evident as they have moved beyond simply not liking Pueblo as a city he would like to live in.

One thing I want to say is I think people are starting to change this. I volunteer for the Pueblo Economic Development Corporation and I know that Colorado Springs and Pueblo want to start a regional economic development program that both Pueblo and Colorado Springs jointly head to spearhead economic development in southern Colorado. I am all for it and think it would be good for our region.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
The only thing about Pueblo that I favor over the Springs is the Italian population. That, and the reservior (sp?)

Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Just more examples of the bias people in the Springs have towards Pueblo. I would give my thoughts about the Springs but I think everyone here knows how I feel.

FYI the steel mill in Pueblo is still here and its the most profitable its been in its 140 year history. So Pueblo remains a steel town.
Josseppie, just because one doesn't like something doesn't mean one is biased.

I don't like brussel sprouts. But I'm not biased about them.
I don't like vomiting. But I'm not biased about the action.
And I never knew a single about Pueblo, but the few times I've visited, I just didn't like it. Others do, and that's fine.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Josseppie, just because one doesn't like something doesn't mean one is biased.

I don't like brussel sprouts. But I'm not biased about them.
I don't like vomiting. But I'm not biased about the action.
And I never knew a single about Pueblo, but the few times I've visited, I just didn't like it. Others do, and that's fine.
According to wiki this is the definition of bias:

Bias is an inclination of temperament or outlook to present or hold a partial perspective at the expense of (possibly equally valid) alternatives in reference to objects, people, or groups. Anything biased generally is one-sided and therefore lacks a neutral point of view.

The link: Bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you look at some of the opinions expressed about Pueblo in this thread by people in Colorado Springs it fits that definition. Conversely I will admit that my opinions of Colorado Springs fit that definition as well. You can, also, see that with how the two cites have interacted in the past and that has hurt them both economically.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
The only thing about Pueblo that I favor over the Springs is the Italian population. That, and the reservior (sp?)
I will admit there are a few things I like about the Springs. The two biggest things are the Broadmore Hotel, mainly the Penrose Room, and some of the highrises in downtown, mainly the Wells Fargo Building.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 20,345 times
Who cares? Denver looks at them both as po-dunk's. And NYC looks at Denver as hill-billy (and mass shootings everywhere)

It's all relative.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelode View Post
Who cares? Denver looks at them both as po-dunk's. And NYC looks at Denver as hill-billy (and mass shootings everywhere)

It's all relative.
There is a difference as Colorado Springs and Pueblo has always had this rivalry going on. You can see it way back in the early part of the 20th century in newspaper reports in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs