Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times

Advertisements

I have lived up on the Palmer Divide for nearly 20 years, and my water source is well water (Dawson Aquifer I believe). I love the taste of the water, however I have always had a problem with some sort of mineral build up and blueish staining in my sinks and toilets. Its next to impossible to remove - I have found no chemical-type cleaner that works, and I end up resorting to abrasive cleaners. I am probably going to remodel my kitchen and baths soon and I would hate to have this problem with new fixtures, so I was wondering what other people's experience was with their well water, and what they did about it.

Is this a common issue in this area, or is it something unique to my water source?

Any cleaners that others have found to work better?

Should I get my water tested to see what is in it? I have tested it at the health dept for bacteria long ago, but never for mineral content.

I really don't want to add a water softener as I don't want to change the taste of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 PM

109 posts, read 287,265 times
It's a common issue. The blue-green color comes from copper being leached out of your plumbing pipes. (From what I understand, our water is very acidic - and that's what causes the leaching.) We have a water softener and really don't notice a difference in taste at all. And it prevents the blue-green staining - and it also prevents the further degradation of your copper pipes.

(A piece of wet drywall sanding screen and some elbow grease works like a charm to remove the blue rings from your sinks and toilet.)

Last edited by coloradogreycat; 07-12-2013 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 07-12-2013, 06:22 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
Thanks for the info. I had heard about the acidic water and copper pipes before, but I was not sure that water softener would take care of it. Any recommendations on type of water softener and installers?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM

109 posts, read 287,265 times
Sorry - I can't be too much help. I've only had experience with the system that came already installed with our house. If you look up Water Conditioning and Softening in the Yellow Pages, you'll find a list of contractors who should be able to help you out. Or Google "Water Conditioning Systems" for an explanation of the different types that are available. I can tell you that the systems are pretty low-maintenance. We just have to add some chemicals to ours every couple of years. There are probably even better/easier ones out there, too. Another plus to installing a softener is that your appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, water heater, etc.) will last longer too.

Also, if you're concerned about the taste of your water after softening, you can install a reverse osmosis filter on your kitchen faucet. That will remove any salts that your softener added into your water. I haven't felt the need to do that, though. I think our water tastes great as is.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
LoL. Who pays to advertise in the yellow pages these days? When I see a phone book I just think "Thanks for printing out this piece of the internet for me to recycle"

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Phone books back in the day were useful things - they listed every street, every address # on the street, the residents at each address, their occupations, and perhaps contact information. - Great for genealogy studies today or historical studies trying to figure out when streets were built, etc. Today's phone books are worthless because so much is excluded. And the Internet - well, now you have to pay for a lot of that information that used to be free.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Should I get my water tested to see what is in it?
Yes. It's probably fine, but if you're drinking water is coming from your well, you'll want to get it tested periodically for potability.

Water Quality | El Paso County Public Health
Water Quality Control Division - Wells and Aquifers (Ground Water)

Last edited by otterprods; 07-17-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Phone books back in the day were useful things - they listed every street, every address # on the street, the residents at each address, their occupations, and perhaps contact information. - Great for genealogy studies today or historical studies trying to figure out when streets were built, etc. Today's phone books are worthless because so much is excluded. And the Internet - well, now you have to pay for a lot of that information that used to be free.
LOL. If you pay those companies, you're doing it wrong. It's true that several awful websites have been created and continue to exist for the sole purpose of sucking money away from hard working Americans, but most of the info is out there for free if you know where to search it.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Oh I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs