Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM

255 posts, read 710,979 times

Advertisements

So, going back to my #6 observation, what has the city done to try to manage the homeless/beggar situation on Tejon? (I ask this not out of an annoyed sense of irritation with them as if they are not important. Quite the contrary... I wonder what, if anything, is being done to help them?)

Here in Memphis, we had a huge homeless/beggar population downtown in touristy, well-traveled areas a few years ago. People didn't feel safe going downtown, businesses were losing money, and the homeless' needs were being ignored. The city started a few initiatives, and the numbers have gone down tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
what has the city done to try to manage the homeless/beggar situation on Tejon? ... I wonder what, if anything, is being done to help them?
Helping the homeless in Colorado Springs : News : FOX21News.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
People didn't feel safe going downtown, businesses were losing money, and the homeless' needs were being ignored.
Homelessness faces perception problem

...among many others... Try searching on Homeless People in Colorado Springs. Please let us share any new insights you find int he process.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:22 PM

115 posts, read 158,309 times
Does Colorado Springs have a ban on panhandling? I seem to recall reading something about that. If so, what parts of the city are covered, and how effective has it been? Learning about the different cities ways for handling their homeless situation is interesting to me.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:22 PM

27 posts, read 84,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographystudies View Post
Does Colorado Springs have a ban on panhandling? I seem to recall reading something about that. If so, what parts of the city are covered, and how effective has it been? Learning about the different cities ways for handling their homeless situation is interesting to me.
It went into a effect for 12 blocks downtown but then was repealed because of all the opposition.
http://www.koaa.com/news/council-officially-ends-downtown-panhandling-ban/

On the other notes I go to Denver to see the amusements and some of the exclusive shops they have up there, I'm in my early twenties but I love Colorado Springs and would rather stay and shop here, which is the biggest justification for Copper Ridge. I hate the traffic and distance to travel into Denver. I personally feel that when people apologize for the Springs not being Denver they feel like we're a big city without the bity city luxuries which is true but we're big because we're spread out(largest city in Colorado by land area) and we don't have huge suburb cities like Denver does (Denver MSA is 2.6m people versus Colo Spgs MSA of 670k people). Metropolitan Area-wise we're pretty small for a city of our size.

On the roads, yes there are terrible sometimes but IMO they getting better. They did the Academy & Woodmen a couple years ago and that has helped a lot and the Woodmen & Union project is coming up Woodmen Road—Corridor Improvement Projects Also the Expansion of I-25 north of woodmen will help as well. The region also has a lot of road expansion plans too, Powers at some point will be a limited access freeway from I-25 near Northgate to Milton E. Proby and other capacity improvements are planned. IMO they leave some roads in poor condition because they want to work on them later and don't want "wasted construction" but that's wishful thinking on my part.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
OP, great post on Colorado Springs. I have always had a favorable opinion of the city even though I've never actually called it home. It is far from perfect, and this is even more obvious today than in years past. But I think the city leadership is laying the foundation for the future of the city to improve and prosper. This is a slow process, which is good, because slow is sustainable. One of the problems the city has today is it grew form about 70,000 in 1960 to over 430,000 today. That's a lot of inflow to keep up with. I think the leadership is looking for ways to manage growth while bringing the city up to speed with a city of its size.

The key for Colorado Springs is to not try to be something it isn't. It isn't Denver, but it is a nice 2nd tier city with a lot to offer. It will always be in Denver's shadow, but it would be the big gun in some states. I see good things in the city's future. It has a lot of untapped potential that can be brought out without selling out the current appeal the city offers.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Now you're starting to sound like the one with an inferiority complex. I live right in between the two and go to both regularly. One is not a shining sea of splendor while the other is a garbage dump. I do prefer Denver for its more cosmopolitan flavor and bonafide urban offerings. But COS has a definite edge when it comes to mountain views and natural tourist attractions.
I don't know man, Denver is pretty close to a garbage dump in some places. I do like anything west of Denver, golden etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I know a few homeless people by name...I always shake their hand and
introduce myself...trust me...they are mega taken care of at all
the downtown charities and "soup" kitchens plus Interfaith Church orgs.
There is a circuit...who is giving out what, when...they know the ropes.
There will always be a new guy, but they learn fast, really.
We have a lot going on for them...I am very pleased.
The new ones learn of The Bijou House and others..many houses have no signs out front
that have residential programs, also....even locals don't know about these wonderful places.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Worst place I ever saw, when it comes to homeless numbers and visibility: Portland, OR--hands down. We have some, here, but I don't really think it's that bad. And most of them really are harmless. It's been my experience in life that the people you really have to fear, the most truly terrifying members of society, the ones who truly wish horrible things on their fellow man...they look just like everyone else. In fact they usually blend in so well, that people are shocked when they eventually get caught. I'm not afraid of anyone who "stands out." The dirty homeless, the tattooed bikers...nope. I'm afraid of the ones I would never even notice...

All a little beside the point though I guess. It just got me thinking.

I do want to give you a sort of imaginary "high five" for finding good restaurants. I think people really sell this place short for that. We have awesome restaurants here if you know where to look! It's not all "big box."

I think we could use maybe one or two more music venues...the kind about the size of the Gothic in Denver for instance, a place with capacity 1,000-1,500 people standing, with a balcony, a big stage and a couple bars. Does anyone know if we even have anything that fits that description more or less?? Seems most of ours have a cap of 500 or so unless you get up into the events center...

Unless/until we get one like that I'll have to hit Denver, Albuquerque, Boulder, Fort Collins...Tulsa...for my concerts. Thank goodness I love road trips!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'll have to hit Denver, Albuquerque, Boulder, Fort Collins...Tulsa...for my concerts. Thank goodness I love road trips!
Tulsa! You really do love road trips!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM

255 posts, read 710,979 times
Yes, Sonic, we loved the restaurants! I think people who just think CS is full of chains or whatnot must not get outside of the suburban mall areas much. We drove ALL OVER the area, and we didn't eat at a chain once. It was fabulous. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs