Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 03:46 PM
JLC JLC started this thread

23 posts, read 327,404 times

Advertisements

I am actively checking out Colorado Springs and surrounding towns (Woodland Park, Divide, Florissant, etc) for a possible relocation... One limiting factor is that my wife works at home and requires high speed Internet connection for her computer - Do the towns above have DSL or cable? Would the need for fast Internet connection mean I can forget about some of the building lots outside town?

JLC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 04:04 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Default Yes.

There is high speed cable (adelphia/comcast) DSL (Qwest) and satellite.

I have the adelphia high speed cable and cable TV, cost about $100 month. Service is excellent, speeds are fine.

I'm in zip 80908 / 80920, across the valley from the USAF Academy. I'm sure the service is available area-wide.

s/Mike

Old 09-07-2006, 05:12 PM

Mike,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Thank you also for all your informative posts about the Colorado Springs area on this forum!

JLC

Old 09-07-2006, 05:21 PM

137 posts, read 774,376 times
Default High Speed Internet

DSL is pretty slow here- I don't know if that's everywhere or not. I switched from cable to DSL a couple of years ago just to have it on one bill with my phone bill, and I didn't last two days. Cable is not available in the more rural areas- including where I live. But Falcon Broadband and Kellin Communications provide high speed internet over sattelite. The sattelite connection has been even faster than cable for us.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 PM

24 posts, read 136,531 times
it really depends on the part of town but in 99% of the areas here you'll be just fine.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:13 AM

Thank you for the information, folks!

JLC

Old 09-09-2006, 05:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,911 times
I'm in Colorado Springs and use Qwest's flavor for DSL, straight through. I do web design so I can't have troubles with downtime and I do know that in the past people have had problems with Adelphia. Since Adelphia has been purchased and there is cable competition on the table with the city counsel, that may change.

However, I rarely, if ever have problems with Qwest (not using their MSN service, I am straight through with them). My speeds may be slower but as a designer, it humbles me when I am designing. It still kicks butt and when 100 other people in the hood get on after work, my connection is not affected like can happen with cable.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:16 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,129 times
I agree w/ COFlower, QWEST is the best. My husband is a software developer and we have not had any problems with it. SHEP

Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 AM

14 posts, read 80,438 times
I've had both good and bad luck with DSL - partly company dependent (go with quest if you choose this option) and partly how close you live to the CO. Adelphia cable on the other hand has excellent speeds. Also, if cable isn't available...Satellite is available from Hughesnet.com and I believe Sprint.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:57 AM

53 posts, read 267,836 times
I live in Divide (80814 zip) and am considered rural. My house is on a dirt road and the "town" has only two stop lights. When I moved here my only option was satallite (Starband). The download speed was fine but upload was equal to dial-up. Now Qwest has expanded their DSL service and I jumped on board as soon as I could. Now I'm very satisfied. I know Woodland Park has more options, or at least had options sooner. I don't know about Florrisant.

I work from home on my computer too and it has not been an issue at all. I even have my home-office on VoIP through Vonnage. It just might be something you need to verify once you have a specific address in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs