Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 6,498 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm relocating to CO Springs - never lived there or visited, but have heard great things from everyone. I'll work on the north side, so want to be in D20 or D38. I've read the highlight threads on the forum which were very useful.

When I do a search for $250-450k homes (yes, wide range but it doesn't help very much narrowing it), 2250+ sf, 4 BR+, 2BA+, D20/D38 there are over 500 homes for sale! If I narrow it down to a tighter range: D20, $300-400, 3000+ sf, there are still 218 homes and that cuts out a lot of options I would typically still consider.

For those who know the area better - how do you recommend narrowing this down to something more like 50-100 homes? I typically try to see almost everything on the market in my range, which is not going to work for me here without some significant reduction in numbers.

Is this area hyper-local, meaning I should narrow down to very specific subdivisions like Cordera, etc? (All seem to be generally similar). I'm not that specific about the subdivision and more just want a nice home.

It looks like most homes in COS have finished basements - I'm guessing finished basements are included in the square footage? Are unfinished basements excluded from square footage?

Are there any other significant factors to consider in this area, for narrowing down? I can't believe how many homes are available in a 5 mile radius. Is that normal, or is it currently oversupply? It does looks like homes are a little on the downswing in general. It looks like it could be hard to sell with that much supply out there.

I appreciate any help, and the great threads and advice people like Mike have posted in this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Yes, there are a lot in the market with the criteria you entered. If you have a preference for newer homes, you may be able to narrow down quite a bit by searching based on year built. Or you could limit by lot size if you prefer larger lots, and also number of garage spaces if you prefer 3 or more, and maybe even fireplace if you prefer that. I don't know what search engine you are using - I will suggest using PPAR.COM, as it is the most up to date, directly from our local MLS system. Many times Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, etc will have listings that are no longer available. PPAR.COM has TOTAL square footage in its search. And be sure to use the obvious things like number of bedrooms and bathrooms too.

If you could decide on D20 or D38, that would help too, but they are both highly respected districts.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 PM

409 posts, read 704,231 times
What else is important to you? Do you have kids? Do you like *any* school in those districts, or are you interested in a particular one? Do you want a house on a cul de sac? With a view? Walkable to shopping? Larger lot? HOA? No HOA?

When you say "nice home", what are you picturing? Completely up to date with no work needed? Search built since 2010, maybe.

Do you want a walk out basement?

Not all houses will list all of those things - view, finished basement, etc., but sometimes you can throw key words in and get more information.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
I'd start with looking for absolute must haves. Determine if a great view, as opposed to just a good view, is a requirement. Do you need a cul-de-sac for the kids? After those issues ask if you want an HOA, yes/no, or if it is no preference for you. Once you have those factors you can cross off several. Then I recommend driving through the areas you would be considering with a map and two markers. A green one and a red one. Use the green to highlight the areas you like, and use the red to mark off areas you don't like. You may find some parts of D20 you like more than others.

If I was going to buy a house in D20, this is the first neighborhood I would look at:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...8eeb92f5e86b13

It'll start you off in street view, because that's the way I know to mark the neighborhood. I ended up moving outside of D20 because we don't have children and don't plan to. For me, it wasn't worth paying a premium in price and taxes/fees to live in the neighborhood with access to the best schools. Sure, it "helps" resale value, so long as they are still the best schools in 30 years. Since I don't know if I will be selling the house at all, and certainly don't foresee doing it within the next decade, I went south of Woodmen. If I needed the schools, I think that neighborhood is stunning.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
The local MLS site is ppar.com and it has a map-based search where you can zero in on specific areas, which leads to my suggestion that you look at a map of available homes to find those farthest away from major highways like I-25, Powers Blvd, Woodmen Rd, Voyager Pkwy, etc. Point is to get the most quiet for your money and that means getting away from highway noise. IMO one needs to be at least a mile from I-25 to have a chance of leaving the bedroom windows open at night to catch that great cool dry air we have here. I'd even avoid a home that backs up to main arteries like Research Pkwy, Briargate Pkwy, Lexington Drive, Union Blvd, etc.

Cordera is especially nice, just get back away from Powers Blvd.

Corner lots can suck. You get traffic and traffic noise from two streets and much less privacy from being exposed on two sides. People will be walking their dogs on 2 sides of your lawn; not all pet owners are decent people who pickup after their furry friend leaves you some lawn art.

Cul de sacs can be good for limiting traffic by your house; most such lots are fan-shaped with a small frontal exposure and a larger back yard. People usually don't live, grill, or play in their front yard. A smaller front yard limits the amount you'll expend for nice landscaping and curb appeal. Larger back yards require minimal landscaping to meet HOA requirements and do provide lots of splace for grilling, children playing, dogs running, or whatever.

- Most HOAs don't allow lawn sheds, so I suggest upping your list to a 3-car garage.
- Search also on central air as there's a fair amount of dust in the air here.
- Search for gas heat and cooking, it's far cheaper than an all-electric home (BTDT back east).
- Search on locations closest to work. If you don't mind, tell us the cross streets of work site.
- Search on finished basement. Yes, you do want a basement here.
- Search on house style, i.e., single story (ranch style) or two story.
- Search on age of home; IMO newer is far better, probably has a nicer newer kitchen, etc.
- Be wary of nearby town houses, condos or apartments as these get a lot of issues with noise, traffic and parking and/or be wary of vacant land nearby that may become such dwellings.
- For the really picky people, consider roof type. We get lots of hail here, in 2007 there were THOUSANDS of home up here in 80920 that got re-roofed after a big storm. We did it again in 2011. Yes, it hails here that much and that badly. Find a roof with 50-year hail resistant shingle or tile shingles. It can reduce the cost of your homeowners insurance.
- Be wary of homes near large areas of undeveloped land. The developers may put something in there that is a problem; no one wants a noisy dirty shopping area with fast food joints in their back yard. Look for neighborhoods that are fully built-out; you won't have any surprises later. In places were construction is finished you'll get none of the noise, dust and trash from where construction is on-going.

Here's a home in Pine Creek that meets all of the criteria I suggest for noise reduction.

Here's another good candidate. And another one.

Here's one that's on one of my favorite streets, backs up to a golf course, near the top of your budget but worth it.

The homes I've linked to are in Pine Creek which is nicely upscale and newish, right in D20 and with great neighbors. Pine Creek is almost totally built out except for a few remaining custom lots, i.e., there won't be any convenience stores going in behind you in Pine Creek. There are only SFHs in Pine Creek, no THs, apts or condos.

Good luck in your searching.

I'm not a realtor nor am I in the business in any way.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-18-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 PM

409 posts, read 704,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
no one wants a noisy dirty shopping area with fast food joints in their back yard.
On the other hand, consider how many people come on here and post that they want a walkable neighborhood, where they can walk to a corner store or restaurant.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:36 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
On the other hand, consider how many people come on here and post that they want a walkable neighborhood, where they can walk to a corner store or restaurant.
So true! When I first got started on this site 8 years ago, there were people posting such desires, i.e., they wanted everything at arm's reach, but new / clean / quiet / safe / quality / great schools, etc, and wanted all that for a budget of $150k.

There are some places in ONEN that fit "most" of that description but it comes at quite a cost for a home that has been updated.

When the O.P. mentioned Cordera, I zeroed in on nearby areas and threw in my 2 cents from having lived in many areas over many years; those would be my criteria for sorting out the hundreds of available homes when we move again and we probably will.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs