Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 08:50 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times

Advertisements

I live outside the city limits so I don't pay a huge amount of attention, but it seems the mayor field is getting pretty large - what do you think of the potential candidates? Is Bach out? When is the actual election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I think Bach is out, mostly over the C4C deal that most people think stinks, but I still shake my head as to why our strong anti-tax and anti-government types are not marching on city hall with torches and pitchforks over using $200M of taxpayer money on this development scheme. Amazes me to no end.

Councilman Joel Miller just resigned to run for mayor as he is unhappy with the "strong mayor" form of city government which he feels is deeply flawed. He's also against C4C and his wife is collecting signatures to force C4C to a vote of the citizens but I haven't heard how that's going though she has a deadline of Jan 7, 2015 to turn in petitions with enough signatures to put it on the April ballot.

Right now the list of candidates has five running for the office:
- Joel Miller
- Mary Lou Makepeace (a former Mayor)
- Amy Lathen
- John Suthers
- Justine Herring

Maybe later I'll add a poll to this thread if interest warrants.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:52 PM

598 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Maybe someone supported by those nasty Koch brothers will run...who knows?

p.s. I've been to many 3rd world countries, and this country isn't one of them...not even for 99% of the people.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
....p.s. I've been to many 3rd world countries, and this country isn't one of them...not even for 99% of the people.
True, but I hate the downward mobility millions are experiencing from the global economy and corporate oligarchy that owns congress. Middle class incomes and buying power haven't really advanced since the Reagan years (I voted for him twice) and income inequality is at it's worst right now.

Our local election won't change the national picture but our current mayor has pushed the Koch Bros agenda of downward mobility at the local level. If he doesn't run I'm sure the Kochs will find a shill to back, and I suspect they already have the name of that person.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 AM

598 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
True, but I hate the downward mobility millions are experiencing from the global economy and corporate oligarchy that owns congress. Middle class incomes and buying power haven't really advanced since the Reagan years (I voted for him twice) and income inequality is at it's worst right now.

Agree!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Joel Miller gets my vote. He's the only bright spot in a council of idiots and a mayoral field of anti tax Doug Bruce disciples.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:39 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Is Mary Lou Makepeace anti-tax Doug Bruce type? I don't know much about Joel Miller or some of the other candidates either. I've heard of Amy Lathen and John Suthers and I could see where they might indeed lean that way.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Mary Lou Makepeace is certifiably insane. I'd vote for Bach again before her, that should tell you something

Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM

208 posts, read 305,608 times
Who all has spent time so far tearing apart the competition? Let's hear about how to unite the city and build a greater future, not how much the next person sucks. Looking forward to casting my first mayoral vote in this great city!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 AM

Update on the four main candidates in the paper today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs