Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:00 PM

274 posts, read 339,455 times

Advertisements

I was looking to check out Cherry Creek State Park but got caught in such a horrendous traffic jam that I gave up and turned back south onto I-25. I'm assuming weekends are a better time to make the commute from COS, and was hoping I'd have better luck then (not this weekend though because of the AFC game).

Are weekends usually better for trying to access some of Denver's parks? I'm trying to nail down ideal times for those occasions when I need a big city fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 08:18 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
What time of day did you try? Where did you turn around? Was there an accident or construction? It's usually not that bad as long as you avoid people's typical work commute hours. Did you consider taking highway 83 instead of I-25?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
What time of day did you try? Where did you turn around? Was there an accident or construction? It's usually not that bad as long as you avoid people's typical work commute hours. Did you consider taking highway 83 instead of I-25?
It was around 2PM on a Thursday, I turned on some road close to the park and the traffic was backed up for miles. it might have been 83 (Parker Road) but I can't remember for sure. In a panic I turned around to get to the interstate, but by the time I finally got on it it was past 3, and the traffic didn't clear up until I cleared the city outskirts. There was also a traffic accident on I-25 so that didn't help things either. That's why I was thinking the weekend would be better, so I wouldn't have to time my visit between when people are commuting to work and back.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:35 AM

I'd just say try again. No, weekends are not necessarily better, but whatever you encountered sounds abnormal and was probably related to a particular incident like the I-25 accident. KRDO 1240 AM 105.5 FM is good for traffic updates during AM/afternoon commute times. I think many of the local TV stations have apps like KKTV and KRDO for traffic as well.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:53 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Unless you're in a hurry I would take Otowi's suggestion and come up to Denver on Highway 83. Lower speed limit, but a prettier drive. You can stop by Castlewood Canyon State Park on the way and check it out, too. It's actually way more scenic than Cherry Creek SP IMHO.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:58 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Yes, do head up Highway 83 to go to Cherry Creek State Park - rare to run into huge traffic jams there, though you will hit traffic from about Parker going north. And on the way, check out Castlewood Canyon State Park, as you will pass the entrance right off Highway 83.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Castlewood Canyon

Old 01-19-2016, 08:51 AM

Thanks all, Castlewood is on my bucket list but for some reason I thought it was down here. No wonder I couldn't find it on the map.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:55 AM

Castlewood Canyon is near Castle Rock and Franktown. It is a very nice State Park.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Castlewood Canyon is near Castle Rock and Franktown. It is a very nice State Park.
Thanks!

Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSpringsBound View Post
I was looking to check out Cherry Creek State Park but got caught in such a horrendous traffic jam that I gave up and turned back south onto I-25.
Others have given good advice (Hwy 83, etc) but in general Denver is unfortunately similar to other large metropolis car-oriented cities of several million - the road infrastructure never quite seems to keep up with the influx of population from decade to decade. I thought traffic was generally awful when I lived in Denver from 1996-2000 but at this point I'll just try to avoid travelling through Denver altogether. It's just a traffic jam waiting to happen, anytime, anyplace. With more people you get rising real-estate prices (which is a good/bad thing), lot's of "vibrant" downtown stuff, but also unbearably awful traffic, on the interstates, on the side streets, everywhere. It just is what it is. It's why I live in the quiet foothills of Colorado Springs where I enjoy my daily 12-15 minute commute downtown. Denver's a great city and all but the traffic is (shudder) horrendous. I have better things to do with my life than sit in traffic everywhere I try to go (work/mountains/store/in-laws/anything). Sorry to rant here, but it's a fact of life in Colorado that goes under-observed, that Denver traffic is something to be avoided if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs