Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 33,692 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been stalking the forums for a while - first post in the Denver section.

My girlfriend and I are planning on a relocation early next year. We have visited Denver in the past and really loved our time there - the activities, the culture, the people, the beer!

Anyway, we are taking an exploratory trip this weekend to your fine city and we have put together a list of some areas we want to visit:

Golden - we spent a half-day out there before and thought it was a beautiful city.
Aurora - we didn't spend any time out there previously
Englewood
Littleton
Westminster
Conifer - I happen to really like the home-listings there, although I know that would get us 30 miles from downtown

I'm also curious if anyone can suggest some of the most convenient places to live in regards to companies. My experience and background is in corporate finance/accounting for manufacturing companies: what areas have the most manufacturing presence? Not necessarily a blue-collar, warehouse/plant area, but I definitely do not have experience in proprietary technologies...

My girlfriend works in PR/Marketing. She spent a number of years working at a PR agency and the last couple years in corporate PR/Marketing for a real estate investment company. Would downtown be the best fit for her?

We're younger folks (28 next month), no children, and we like to have things to do nearby. We don't necessarily need a lively nightlife or dance clubs, but we like parks, movie theaters, good restaurants, music, boutique shops, etc... A short drive to these things would be fine; we don't need it within walking distance.

We also have a dog and would like to have a backyard for her when we relocate.

Oh, our budget would be anywhere from $1,400-$1,800 (rent or own, we would preferably start out renting for a year or two), but square footage being very important. We'd like upwards of 1,300 sq ft so I think that excludes us from Capitol Hill.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts here, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Fine the job first, then decide where to live. Quality of life deteriorates quickly with a long commute.

Rent in an area that is close proximity to a variety of places and job locations. If one job does not work out, then you will have other choices. Saying that, any of the close in suburbs of Denver or Denver itself would work well.

You may also want to explore the extensive public transit system. Many companies provide free or subsidized passes and your commute may be much easier and cheaper, especially to Downtown or the DTC. If you like Golden, then know that a new rail line has opened from Golden to Downtown.

Forget Conifer if you want to "have a short drive to these things". Keep in mind that 30 miles of mountain and foothill driving is much more than other miles with less challenging terrain, especially in winter.

Denver and its suburbs have extensive parks and open space. It is not necessary to get so far out into the foothills to enjoy nature. You can enjoy the far out places on your day off but have more convenient areas nearby to enjoy after work.

Corporate accounting/finance for manufacturing does not mean these types of white collar jobs are always located in or near the presence of manufacturing--so do not restrict your search for only for these locations. You can easily find yourself employed in the headquarters or regional office far away from the plant. Do a search for corporate manufacturing headquarter locations for Denver.

For example: I will give you a lead to a company that you may not have heard about: Leprino Foods which is the largest manufacturer of Mozzarella cheese in the world Leprino Foods*Leprino Foods Do not laugh because the biggest cost of a pizza is the cheese and the biggest revenue for a food manufacturer of pizza ingredients is cheese. Its office is located in Denver but has plants nationwide. Do a search on their corporate manufacturing financial jobs in Denver as I know there are openings--I got a tip from someone I know over a pizza.

The City of Denver is not that dense compared to other cities. There are many neighborhoods and areas that have a suburban feel.

Livecontent

Old 10-08-2013, 04:14 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Another not-too-well known corporate Hq is Ball Corp in Broomfield. Started out making tin cans, now worldwide in packaging (think soda cans, etc), and aerospace (think Hubble Telescope)

Ball

Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
If you like Conifer, you should look at Evergreen and Morrison. They are a lot closer and you'd still be in the foothills. I'm not sure if you could get the square footage you want for that price but it might be worth the trade off to live there. MOST of the time you can make it downtown in 30 minutes (obviously not in a blizzard but that's probably 3 or 4 days/year). Conifer would probably take 45 mins to an hour.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 AM

35 posts, read 33,692 times
Noted, thanks everyone!

I'll add Evergreen and Morrison to the list

I'll also add Broomfield just for good measure

And livecontent - living just across the street from Chicago city limits, I'm growing tired of the population density. Getting a house on a mountain sounds GREAT right now - even if there is no movie theater lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver