Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 02:38 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times

Advertisements

It seems as though that because of the low vacancy rate, high-domestic in-migration rate and lack of landlords willing to accept section 8 that there might be an influx of section 8 renters porting their vouchers to Colorado Springs.

I know it is a bit of speculation on my part, but I just can't see many of the poor service employees with several kids being able cough up $1200 or more plus expensive utilities for a 3 bedroom townhome.

There really isn't another city except Pueblo that they can move to if they can't find a section 8 apartment in Denver.

It seems anywhere in Colorado Springs that there is a 60s or 70s apartment complex or townhome complex there are alot of younger families who in no way can afford these market rents with this cities economy without housing assistance.

I walked passed an apartment complex the other day with rents around $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom and had the sounds of an inner-city apartment complex. Children screaming, bikes and toys littering the grounds. People who have to turn over $1000 of hard-earned work money are not going to have their households behave like that.

I hardly doubt $10-$12 workers can afford a townhome in this city, especially if they have three kids.

I am not on section 8 but I did look at the listings in Denver and it seems as though very few apartments there that will accept 8. Colorado Springs still has a large number of apartments that accept it.

Section 8 voucher holders can port their voucher to a different jurisdiction that has a lower fair-market rent.

I know that in Denver there is absolutely no reason for a landlord to rent to section 8 people but in Colorado Springs landlords are still willing to accept their vouchers.

It seems as though that despite it's anti-tax and pro-by the bootstraps mentality that Colorado Springs that parts of it are becoming the promised land for poor families.

To bad that rather then a nice, influx of wealthy retirees that Colorado Springs is becoming the dumping ground for families one paycheck away or voucher violation away from the streets.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-05-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 08:09 AM

930 posts, read 1,655,221 times
I can't respond properly until you give proof that the people you profiled as "inner city" people "one paycheck away or voucher violation away from the streets" are actually those benefiting from Section 8 vouchers, instead of families with their kids home from the summer having a blast. Currently, this smacks of high-minded and judgmental comments of what some groups of people appear to be.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:32 AM

268 posts, read 345,259 times
I was a landlord and would NEVER recommend doing Section 8 (aka Suction 8) ever. I did it one time and learned my lesson.

Some "slumlords" just want the 1/2 of the rent that is guaranteed by Uncle Sugar, but do care about the property or how it affects the neighbors.

My tenant always paid on time but it seemed there were always things going on w/ the house in the way of damages from the tenants. Poor people really do not care (or are clueless) as to how to properly maintain a home. Being raised that way is now being passed down to future generations in the "gimme" attitude of most youth these days.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:44 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
We need to abolish all handouts. Sink or swim on your own merits no freebies.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:47 PM

19 posts, read 23,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
We need to abolish all handouts. Sink or swim on your own merits no freebies.

oh ok. cool.

So you also pro abolishing corporate welfare correct? Cuz you don't want to give "handouts" to the wealthy corporations in the form of about 63 billion worth of tax breaks correct?

Cuz:
Forbes Welcome

and you are also talking about taxing churches and other religious institutions correct?

And by No handouts, you mean, you are really into making all the corporations (that fed us the lie that poor welfare and section 8 crowd is to blame) to be forced to actually pay a LIVING wage (and benefits) so these people don't have to depend on section 8 and other handouts correct?

yeah dude... I am with you.

As for the OP's comments... so I just moved here to COS and my nieces will be visiting me soon for couple of days. I better tell them not to scream or have toys in the yard otherwise we will be profiled as inner city (and not even sure what that even means to COS residents yet) and people will think we are on section 8. Phew. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali on my Mind View Post
oh ok. cool.

So you also pro abolishing corporate welfare correct? Cuz you don't want to give "handouts" to the wealthy corporations in the form of about 63 billion worth of tax breaks correct?

Cuz:
Forbes Welcome

and you are also talking about taxing churches and other religious institutions correct?

And by No handouts, you mean, you are really into making all the corporations (that fed us the lie that poor welfare and section 8 crowd is to blame) to be forced to actually pay a LIVING wage (and benefits) so these people don't have to depend on section 8 and other handouts correct?

yeah dude... I am with you.

As for the OP's comments... so I just moved here to COS and my nieces will be visiting me soon for couple of days. I better tell them not to scream or have toys in the yard otherwise we will be profiled as inner city (and not even sure what that even means to COS residents yet) and people will think we are on section 8. Phew. Thanks for the heads up.
I oppose all forms of welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs