Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave101 View Post
In my younger days as a radio DJ, the scariest part of moving to a new town was going on the air and then mispronouncing a local street or area name.

So as we prepare to move to “The Springs” I’m hoping you can help us avoid some “newbie” mistakes.

I already know that there is Briargate Blvd and Briargate Pkwy. Are there other duplicate or confusing streets.

Which street names or area names are we “newbies” most likely to mispronounce?

Are there specific streets that are typically referred to in a generic way (such as, it’s just past the “bypass”)?

Are there local sayings, nicknames (stores or ?) or idioms everyone understands?

What other mistakes do "newbies" to the Springs make?
If you are heading west on Hodgen Road you can make a left on one of two Black Forest Roads. I hope the Fire Department would work through this.

80132 - Google Maps

The whole CO-85, CO-87, I-25 routing through COS is confusing.

cos - Google Maps

The whole US 24 through COS is confusing. Does it run on Fountain? on Platte? On both?

cos - Google Maps

It's easy to get screwed up heading west on Woodmen on the west side of I-25. To continue on Woodmen you have to make a right turn off the main road (which turns into Rockrimmon).

cos - Google Maps

Ok, which is it? County Line Road or Palmer Divide Road? Palmer Line Road? County Divide Road?

cos - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalipsoh View Post
You'll hear some names everywhere and they have nothing to do with the same geographic area - for example, Palmer Ridge High School is nowhere near Palmer Ridge or Palmer Lake for that matter.
Palmer Ridge High School is right on the Palmer Divide (also called Monument Hill) and it will serve Palmer Lake. (Could you have been thinking of downtown Palmer High School?)

When D-38 asked residents for three potential names for the new High School I submitted "Palmer Divide High School" and "Tri Lakes High School". Guess what? Those two names were #1 and #3 (I think "Monument Hill" was #2, not sure...) in the tally. So I asked why the school wasn't named "Palmer Divide High School". I was told that "Palmer Divide" has too many negative weather connotations so D-38 bypassed their own poll and named it "Palmer Ridge".

Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 44,868 times
Charles,

Thanks, I'm pretty good at finding my way but my wife is quite geographically challenged. Now I know where not to send her.

I'm looking at all the map stuff, interesting.

Dvae

Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 PM

23 posts, read 59,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Palmer Ridge High School is right on the Palmer Divide (also called Monument Hill) and it will serve Palmer Lake. (Could you have been thinking of downtown Palmer High School?)
Yes, sorry. Guess I have PRHS on my mind since I keep reading about it as my son goes to Creekside in Monument. But now that there will be a Palmer Ridge High School and a Palmer High School...fun, fun! But, since as I said all the schools go by their district numbers in announcements, should help alleviate the confusion.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Quote:
Charles,

Thanks, I'm pretty good at finding my way but my wife is quite geographically challenged. Now I know where not to send her.

I'm looking at all the map stuff, interesting.

Dvae
I don't think you need to worry about "newbie" mistakes. With the transient nature of the military and various DOD contractors and such, there are new people here all the time.

One thing your wife will need to learn is that most of the long-time locals will do is give you directions mostly in east-west and north-south relations. Meaning, instead of saying "Go right on Platte" They will say "Go west (or east) on Platte" West is always the mountains. Directional understanding is important here.

You get someone who's from the Front Range for a long, long time in a city where there are no mountains, we get confused. I got confused when I lived in Grand Junction because the Grand Mesa (the main geographical feature) was on the opposite side - to the east and Mt. Garfield was on the north/northeast. I was just getting used to it when I moved back to the Front Range.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 PM

180 posts, read 1,187,407 times
Another thing I remembered that helped me, everyone said "Front Range" or "Palmer Divide" and so forth, this website has a map showing all the different areas and where they encompass with explainations.
Where Is That? - Denver Weather News Story - KMGH Denver

Of course you probably know that people refer to Colorado Springs as "The Springs". Military people tend to use COS in type, but they revert back to The Springs in regular dialogue.

Colorado is just so confusing on thier streets. Arapahoe in south Denver is in two or more places not even connecting each other for instance and many others like Charles pointed out.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 47,563 times
Don't forget Tejon Street with the j sounding like an h. I know it is simple but I have heard it pronounced incorrectly.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pru22 View Post
Don't forget Tejon Street with the j sounding like an h. I know it is simple but I have heard it pronounced incorrectly.
How many pronunciations are there for "Uintah" and Hodgen?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Yeah, how about "Unitah" You don't know how many pppl pronounce that wrong. Or Sinton. ALot of ppl put the empahsis on the wrong syllable.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:46 AM

188 posts, read 933,818 times
Quote:
In my younger days as a radio DJ, the scariest part of moving to a new town was going on the air and then mispronouncing a local street or area name.

So as we prepare to move to “The Springs” I’m hoping you can help us avoid some “newbie” mistakes.

I already know that there is Briargate Blvd and Briargate Pkwy. Are there other duplicate or confusing streets.

Which street names or area names are we “newbies” most likely to mispronounce?

Are there specific streets that are typically referred to in a generic way (such as, it’s just past the “bypass”)?

Are there local sayings, nicknames (stores or ?) or idioms everyone understands?

What other mistakes do "newbies" to the Springs make?
Cheyenne Rd., Cheyenne Blvd., and Cheyenne Mountain Blvd. drive me
crazy, they are all close together. I learned to keep a map in the car of
the Springs all the time and learned to mapquest places before I left home,
I still do that one a lot. The streets curve and circle around in strange
ways here, even the major ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs