Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 05:50 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

https://gazette.com/premium/lights-c...e8de249b9.html

"Call it a movie theater that serves food or a restaurant that shows films.

Either way, an Arizona company plans to bring one of the entertainment industry’s hottest concepts to Colorado Springs next year when it opens the city’s first dine-in movie theater in a shuttered Kmart northwest of Fillmore Street and Nevada Avenue.

RoadHouse Cinemas, which has similar venues in Scottsdale and Tucson, plans to remodel a portion of the old Kmart to accommodate a 12-screen complex where moviegoers can order burgers, pizzas, tacos, sandwiches, pretzels, cocktails and desserts from their luxury recliners. The food and drink — ordered before the movie starts or even as the film runs — is served to them while they watch first-run hits and throwback classics."

"RoadHouse expects to invest $7 million to $7.5 million to remodel about 45,000 square feet of the 104,000-square-foot Kmart store, Cassell said. The theaters would occupy 35,000 square feet, and the Rail Yard would cover another 10,000. Together they’ll employ about 150 full- and part-time people, he said.

The company is targeting a fall 2019 opening, he said."

Interesting concept. You relax in the recliner and they bring you food and drinks to enjoy while you veg out and watch a movie.

I bet it will be more popular than the new gym also planned for this site

"Utah-based Vasa Fitness, which opened its first Springs location this year in a former Albertsons store on the south side, plans to take the rest of the Kmart building for a 60,000-square-foot fitness center, Egan said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 AM

127 posts, read 95,185 times
Not exactly in the best part of town.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:27 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
BYOG

Old 12-01-2018, 06:59 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,702,622 times
I’ve been to these types of places in Denver. Imagine a waiter crouching down in the dark in front of you while you try and watch a movie. This happens several times throughout the film. Not only at your table, but the one on either side of you, repeatly. It becomes annoying.
I’d rather dine and watch a movie than dine at the movie. Your results may vary.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:43 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I don't know who has been to the movies recently but the food available now - let's just say there's a lot of options, it is just expensive. Alcohol, pizzas, chicken wraps, and something new just about every time we go. And I haven't been in awhile but I seem to recall Kimball's had some food options that were more like 'real food' as opposed to 'snack/junk food' as well.

I'm just not sure this is as novel as it is being marketed as, but I could be missing something. Anyway, good luck to them!

Old 12-01-2018, 08:03 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Sounds like the old Cinema and Drafthouse we had back in the '80s. It was okay. I tend to be with CoCheesehead on this one that it may not be the greatest thing for me but some may think its very cool and enjoy it tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
Not the worst either. This is blocks away from the Old North End, near the gentrifying Roswell and Cragmoor areas, along the Nevada Ave corridor of improvements being driven by UCCS and being promoted by the City Planning Dept. and not far from Cos Country Club, Pinecliff, and Rockrimmon areas.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:17 AM

834 posts, read 744,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Sounds like the old Cinema and Drafthouse we had back in the '80s. It was okay. I tend to be with CoCheesehead on this one that it may not be the greatest thing for me but some may think its very cool and enjoy it tremendously.

Not the worst either. This is blocks away from the Old North End, near the gentrifying Roswell and Cragmoor areas, along the Nevada Ave corridor of improvements being driven by UCCS and being promoted by the City Planning Dept. and not far from Cos Country Club, Pinecliff, and Rockrimmon areas.
I know someone who lives very close and said that her neighborhood is largely college students...I could see that being a big hit with them.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:10 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
That whole intersection seems like a wasted opportunity from the get-go. I drive through it occasionally and lament the disrespect of a gorgeous view. A theater, yoga studio and a short term hotel seem like odd partners. Those types of hotels are often frequented by basically homeless people renting by the week as needed.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:57 AM

127 posts, read 95,185 times
I do hope it is a success, but it seems a little too upscale for that neighborhood which is light industrial except to the southwest.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
I see it as an opportunity not yet realized.

The Lincoln School Center redevelopment on Cascade just south of Fillmore has been a tremendous success. The renovation of Alexander Film Studio offices into Tap Traders brew pub, the addition of the National Cyber Security Center, Storybrook Brewery, of course the Navajo Hogan and Millers Cafe, all combined make a great start for the southern anchors for this corridor. With UCCS on the north end pushing south, this stretch can become the next University Village style make over if the city continues to support the master plan for it. IMO, the first and biggest step towards that is doing curb and sidewalk work as described in the plan. But, this transition isn't going to happen rapidly at all. It will take time.

Personally, I'd like to see some architecture requirements on that strip that would better align it with its art-deco past that has mostly been lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs