Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,010 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you for the wealth on information on this forum and for the frequent contributors. I've been lurking on the forum since January and have learned a tremendous amount from you all.

I'm being relocated from Northern Virginia to Colorado Springs and we are taking a house hunting trip next week to scope places out. We've known about the relo since the first of the year and have done a ton of research - it just takes HR forever to process this kind of stuff - and we needed to sell our home. Home sold last week, pack and ship is in a month and we need a place to live! We'll have temp housing as part of the relo so we have a bit of time to find a place.

I've been to the springs many times for work and we have family in the area. Problem is that whenever we are there it's for business or visiting family/vacation. We've never dug deep into neighborhood info with an eye on living there.

We have 3 kids, 10 and under. We've been looking in Pine Creak, Cordera, North Gate, Flying Hours, and maybe Glen Eagle. I'll be commuting to Schriever so I don't want to get too far north. Our two oldest will be going to The Cottage School so we'll need to be in D20.

The neighborhood we live in now has lots of kids; we're friends with all our neighbors, we regularly have block parties bbq'ing while all the kids are running around. We'd love to find a neighborhood in the springs that has these kinds of qualities.

I'm concerned with getting up into some of the more ritzy areas (like Flying Horse) and find that everyone keeps to themselves and none of the kids come out. My boys are always out running around somewhere and it would be a huge bummer for them to move in somewhere and find that it's hard to make friends in the neighborhood.

Given D20 neighborhoods, can you all recommend places we should definitely look at, places to avoid, etc? Neighborhoods where people are friendly, outgoing, etc?

We're looking for 4 to 5 bedrooms, max 600K.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 PM

930 posts, read 1,656,459 times
I think you'd need to verify the amount of commuting you'd prefer. Glen Eagle is pretty far north and Pine Creek is more doable. One reason why I decided against moving to Cordera was the commute (30 min) for me to go to work, where I worked at the time, (Powers and N. Carefree) was more than I'd like. That's still about fifteen/twenty minutes (I think) to Schriever. Cordera is pretty far north and traffic on Powers only has gotten worse.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:46 PM

1,013 posts, read 980,076 times
Commute is of course all relative. The areas you mentioned would probably give you a 45 min commute. I have that kind of commute most of my life until I moved here. 45 min might be fine for you.
I have same sense as you about Flying Horse but I don’t live there so maybe that’s unfair. glen Eagle is the farthest from your work and I think it might not give you the community feel. But again, I don’t live there.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:05 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,536,763 times
Have you looked at Briargate at all? It might be a good split of distance between the school and work and I have a sense that it would be an area where you may be more likely to find kids in the neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:28 AM

830 posts, read 745,757 times
Isn't Wolf Ranch in District 20 and closer to Schriever?

I'd look there too if commute is a concern.

I'm sure there's kids in all of these places willing to play, unless you move into a section more geared towards the elderly with patio homes and the like.

The neighborhoods I've seen without a lot of children are typically at a turn over period in age (20 ish years) and higher priced. In the springs however, the military keeps things rotating quicker and homes seem to go up for sale every year or two, making this less likely to happen.

If your children are already accepted at the cottage program as out of district, then you also can look other places. (If not, I'd start applying as these homeschool programs seem to fill up quickly) Banning Lewis Ranch has a lot of what you're looking for too, and is again closer to the base but not too far from the kid's school.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:14 PM

1,013 posts, read 980,076 times
Is Cottage School the same school as Classical Academy?

Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,400,362 times
Cottage School is a subset program of Classical Academy. I believe it supports homeschooling programs by providing an occasional formal school setting and access to art and music.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,194,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Isn't Wolf Ranch in District 20 and closer to Schriever?
Wolf Ranch is D20 and is right next to Cordera.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:41 AM

830 posts, read 745,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Wolf Ranch is D20 and is right next to Cordera.
It's on the south end though, right?

Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,198,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
It's on the south end though, right?
No- North.

https://www.wolf-ranch.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs