Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My wife and I are moving to Springs in the near future for my work and we are trying to research neighborhoods. We are both in our late 20s, no kids, 2 dogs. I will be working near Memorial Park and she will likely be commuting to Pueblo, at least for the first several months we are there. We would like to find a neighborhood that is safe and at least somewhat affordable. Our budget is around 300k, but we would like to keep it below 275.

I am intrigued by the Old Colorado City neighborhood since we have been able to find some cute (but very small) 2 bedroom homes in the neighborhood in our price range. We liked the look and feel of the neighborhood when we drove through it the other day, but would like to find out more info about the area, especially regarding its safety relative to other areas that might fit our criteria.

With that being said, my wife is leaning towards buying a newer house in a different neighborhood if we can find something bigger, but I'm concerned about the commute time from the far northeast side of town, both for me and for her.

Can anyone provide more info on OCC, or the commute from the northeast newer developments, or recommended any other neighborhoods that might seem to fit our criteria? We are open to many different neighborhoods, but are trying to balance budget, commute, and proximity to shopping/dining/etc.

Thank you so much. We are very excited to be a part of the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 07:38 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,545,197 times
As a young couple, I really don't think you should be concerned about safety in the area you are looking at. I would even include certain targeted neighbors in southeast Springs if you want something newer in one of the lower price brackets. Do look at streetview and ask about details on particular streets/areas there if you look in that part of town.

Commute north/south in the Springs really isn't that bad overall - from OCC you'd probably go I-25 to Woodmen or to highway 83/Interquest to go East, depending on how far North. If you start from a more Eastern location, your commute is more likely to involve going north on Powers or Marksheffel. At certain times these can all be busy but overall unless you choose to live or will be working at the extreme limits of the population areas commutes are not terrible, imho.

In your price range, looking in Security/Widefield - anything south or at least near to Milton Proby Parkway, or you might look north of S. Academy but West of I-25 for another area that might have some homes in your range.

In general, your price range is easier to hit to the south than to the north.

Since you asked for some basic info about OCC - originally, that was its own city, called Colorado City. It was founded in 1859 and was the original capital of the entire Colorado territory. By 1873, Colorado Springs was already starting to eclipse it in growth and eventually it was incorporated into Colorado Springs. As you noticed, it tends to have older homes and is a very popular neighborhood. You might want to be aware that in a non-COVID world, it hosts Territory Days, a big street festival down Colorado Ave. on Memorial Day weekend that results in a lot of streets completely overrun with cars parking for that weekend - a good time to have a garage sale and make no plans, or go out of town, etc., - unless your home is sufficiently far from the street fair area.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:50 AM

830 posts, read 746,314 times
With OCC my largest concern would be being able to afford maintenance on the aging homes.

Electrical, plumbing, foundation, HVAC, big things in addition to wear & tear items.

Just a rough estimate, but I'd think about saving 5-6% of the home's value per year for maintenance.

I don't think NE should be on your list. It's not convenient to either of you. Her commute will be miserable, and yours will kind of suck too.

Fountain, Spring Creek, Southgate, Security-Widefield
... basically any neighborhood SOUTH of Hwy 24 & I-25, but within 10 minutes to I-25 E/W, would be on my radar

Also, consider you'll be driving *in inclement weather at times.

I think that your budget is going to be a very, extremely, competitive area. I'd expect to move quickly, count on a loss or two, and be asked to offer over.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:54 AM

830 posts, read 746,314 times
For time reference: From Powers/Carefree my phone currently says (at 7:50 am on a Friday) that it takes 51 minutes to get to the border of Pueblo at I-25.

A 1200 SQ. ft going with only 2 bedrooms is also listed for over $300k nearby.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:16 PM

753 posts, read 1,107,002 times
I wouldn't consider the northeast side of town at all if your commutes are to Memorial Park and Pueblo -- there are plenty of good neighborhoods with less painful commutes on the south side, and generally speaking prices go down the farther south you go. That said, OCC is a great place to live, one of the few neighborhoods in COS that is truly walkable. You might also look a little bit farther south, at Ivywild (older neighborhood being revitalized by new commercial developments) and Skyway (subdivision built in the 1950s and 1960s where houses have large lots and no HOA restrictions, very dog-friendly). The area around S Academy is popular with military families, not sure if that applies so much to Fountain and Security.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:43 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,545,197 times
Yes, if one of you is working in Pueblo, I'd suggest looking in Fountain/Security/Widefield very closely - it is a really good middle ground for your commutes with homes in your price range.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:10 PM

930 posts, read 1,657,151 times
I love the Ivywild neighborhood. It was the first place I lived when I moved here going on almost 20 (19!) years ago.

Still remember when my then-boyfriend would have to drive to the Walmart on 8th street to get cell phone reception just to call me, when I was still in Houston. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs