Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 11:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

and the dominoes that follow;...
  1. jobs
  2. suppliers
  3. property owners
  4. tax revenues
  5. city / state inspectors / permits
  6. property values
  7. infrastructure

Gonna be a lot (more) vacant office, commercial, food space in commercial buildings.
Parking should be easier to find!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 12:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Many of these closures I don’t particularly care about or will miss (although I do miss Zio’s)

The one that really pisses me off is Taco Bell. I wrote a 300+ word email to corporate about their stupid decision to remove all the best things off the menu.
I don’t eat there often but when I do I want certain things, and they’ve all but made them vanish.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:58 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Coquette's Bistro to cease all operations September 20

https://www.csindy.com/food_and_cult...03861ceba.html

"In our most recent update on Coquette's Bistro back in July, we'd noted their plan to cease operations at 616 S. Tejon St. and open Coquette's GF Bakery & Market in the former Cupcake Girls location.

But plans have changed, and a lengthy note on their Facebook page dated September 11 explains why they're opting to shut down entirely as of 7 p.m., Sunday, September 20. In one passage, it reads:

"We realized that we were trying to do more to keep up with what we created than we were really happy to be continuing to do. It had become an untenable struggle and strained our family. We love you all so much and a lot of our ‘sticking it out’ was really for you. We know we are not the typical restaurant and you are not typical customers. It will be a very sad parting on both sides of the 'counter' but Coquette’s will be closing and has no plans to reopen at this time."

I called co-owner Michelle Marx shortly after reading this (as Coquette's was among finalists in the 2020 Indy Best Of, where they've perennially earned gluten-free-friendly awards) and she repeated as well as elaborated on some of what she wrote on the Facebook page along with her daughter and co-owner Turu.

She told me "Covid was the last straw — we were already under a great deal of pressure." She said it's expensive to do what they do, "create this environment, make our products from scratch, and people in the Springs don't always want to pay too much for things — we couldn't raise our prices and accommodate our clients." Plus, she added, there was just no time for family.

"We just needed to take a break," she added. "We have no idea what we'll do in the future and we may or may not continue in some form — we're going to reassess everything."

Marx said they've had a lot of requests for a recipe book, and they're considering publishing one, or writing some type of memoir/cookbook. She's put the current location up for sale, meanwhile, and is looking to lease the former Cupcake Girls spot she purchased. On a personal note, both she and Turu are looking to return to creative endeavors they've put on hold over these many years as they ran the business.

For the final week in business, they plan to offer the same, limited Covid menu they've run in recent months, and they're helping to relocate and transition their staff members, Marx says.

"When we see what people have written [on our Facebook page, in support of us] the stories are amazing and full of so much love. We sit there crying. ... But I think everyone gets it now. It's so much harder, and now people know what it takes to operate a restaurant. Covid has brought attention to it. But our loyal customers want us to live good lives, and that's what we want back." "

Old 09-13-2020, 07:57 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
A friend of mine is particularly sad about that one because they have children with a lot of dietary issues and Coquette's is one of only two places they could safely eat out. I think I wouldn't call this one a COVID closure, along with some of others - but rather a side effect - the COVID stuff made them reevaluate their priorities.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:01 AM

My guess is that we'll get a big spurt in covid closures into the fall.

Many restaurants operating on mostly take out and holding out for a cure will give up. I think we'll lose half.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:56 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
When I drove through downtown a few weeks ago, I noticed CJ Kard had shut its doors permanently - my favorite place to buy cards. And King Chef was also gone I think.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
King Chef - I hope not permanently!
Thanks for starting this this thread, Vision.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:43 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
King Chef - I hope not permanently!
Looks like its reopening today!
https://www.kktv.com/video/2020/09/2...ning-tomorrow/

Old 09-27-2020, 07:10 AM

Colorado Springs YMCA branch closing permanently, a casualty of COVID-19

https://gazette.com/news/colorado-sp...ffcaac0a1.html

"The Garden Ranch Y in central Colorado Springs is shutting its doors for good, a permanent end to what once was believed would be a brief adjustment because of the coronavirus.

The facility announced what it thought would be a temporary closure in mid-March at the start of the pandemic. But after months of shutdown, the region's YMCA leadership decided to close it because of the financial burden it posed, YMCA spokeswoman Theresa Johnson said.

“Unfortunately, like many other organizations, we took a hit,” Johnson said.

The Garden Ranch YMCA, 2380 Montebello Drive West, was in a tough financial spot before the pandemic, struggling with low membership and unable to locate $10-$12 million needed to renovate and upgrade the 38-year-old building.

Some renovations had been done to the swimming pool last year, Johnson said, but the Y also required complete upgrades to its rooms, restrooms and other amenities.

And with just 970 memberships, the facility was well below the 3,000 typically needed to run a facility of comparable size, Brian Risley, the nonprofit’s metro board chairman, said in a video about the closing.

The COVID-19 shutdown proved to be the breaking point.

To keep other facilities in the region thriving, the closing was the right step for the nonprofit, said YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region President and CEO Boyd Williams.

“This is a difficult decision, but it's my responsibility as the CEO to ensure the longevity of this association,” Williams said in the video. “Our Y has been through a lot since 1878, and we're going to continue to serve the needs ... but that will come with change.”

The building opened in 1984 and included a swimming pool, racquetball courts and a gymnasium, alongside other typical YMCA features like multipurpose and locker rooms, Johnson said. It also offered classes and was the site of birthday parties, much like other YMCA facilities in the region.

Johnson said she wasn't sure why membership at the Garden Ranch location had fallen over the years, but speculated the city’s eastward growth may be one reason.

“The middle of town has shifted and we’re moving east,” Johnson said. “There’s a lot of housing around the Garden Ranch facility and not a lot of room for new family growth.”

Williams and Johnson encouraged the Garden Ranch facility’s current members to join other Ys in the area with similar amenities and services, including the Briargate branch.

The Garden Ranch property will be sold and the revenue will be used to support capital improvements at other locations, Johnson said.

Some of the improvements on the organization's horizon include building a new downtown Y facility at the corner of North Nevada and East Platte avenues that will include multiple stories of affordable housing, in addition to a full recreation center in the bottom of the building.

The Garden Ranch Y will continue to offer child care through the end of December, after which it will be shut down."

Old 09-29-2020, 01:49 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
Is Good Neighbors Coffee at 500 Columbia still open ? it used to have another name with a Dog in the name i think... Dogtooth coffee..

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-29-2020 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs