Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 08:20 AM

5,855 posts, read 4,186,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think an HOA might be acceptable if you read and understand the tenets before you buy in.

We have a situation in our neighborhood that could be helped with an HOA. It’s an ungated neighborhood with one way in and out. The entryway has a brick sign and landscaping. One man (an original resident and a councilman) takes charge of requesting $35. a year for a landscaping company to maintain it. I think we pay about $750. a year, but the entrance looks terrible. In my opinion, everything needs to be ripped out. If we had a committee of more than one person, we could get something done, but it’s mostly older people who think an HOA is one step away from communism.

Last year we offered to chip in more $$ to replace some shrubs, or hire a different company, but this year I don’t think we will pay the $35.
That sounds like bad neighborhood design. There shouldn't be common spaces that need maintaining if there's no HOA in place to take care of these things.

I think the conclusion there, at least to me, is "Don't have common spaces that need maintaining" rather than "Get an HOA," but I agree that's a bad setup.

Old 08-06-2023, 12:19 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,193,924 times
Got an email from HOA last week. Kids should not ride their bikes on sidewalks. Apparently little kids should be riding bikes in the street.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:08 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Got an email from HOA last week. Kids should not ride their bikes on sidewalks. Apparently little kids should be riding bikes in the street.
That's ridiculous and awful.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:22 AM

8,521 posts, read 4,759,184 times
HOA is a hard no for me. Even the HOA you like today is only one Karen or one board meeting away from potentially becoming a vindictive hellscape forcing you to go to court, sell, or use malicious compliance. Paying dues to live in that kind of atmosphere is not cool in my book. And depending on the HOA, your vegetable garden could be a no-go in the covenants, unless it’s a place that’s just a “we maintain the streets” type of HOA…but even then, see my first point.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:53 AM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
That's ridiculous and awful.
- next thing you know, kids will not be allowed to play outside.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:33 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,863,098 times
Quote:
Hopefully residents will let the HOA know how utterly ridiculous, insane, and dangerous that would be. Unless of course, they want to build a bike lane for the little ones, protected by an indestructible and very high barricade. Maybe add some tiny little stop and go lights, yield and stop signs, etc.

Do residents get to ask why kiddos can't ride on sidewalks? There's certainly no chance of them running over front lawn gardens.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:35 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,713,894 times
Quote:
Where we live there is a no bike on the sidewalk rule too -its actually a city ordinance. The HOA just posts a sign when you enter the neighborhood to remind everyone. Virtually no kids in our community. The only rule breakers are old people on e bikes.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:15 PM

5,855 posts, read 4,186,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Where we live there is a no bike on the sidewalk rule too -its actually a city ordinance. The HOA just posts a sign when you enter the neighborhood to remind everyone. Virtually no kids in our community. The only rule breakers are old people on e bikes.
I thought only some portions of downtown had this ordinance?

Old 08-11-2023, 01:01 PM

20,155 posts, read 9,049,040 times
Quote:
why did you buy into a community that prohibits riding bikes on the sidewalk? It has to be included in the CC&R's you were given when you bought.

Old 08-12-2023, 09:20 AM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
why did you buy into a community that prohibits riding bikes on the sidewalk? It has to be included in the CC&R's you were given when you bought.
Sure...you should pick wisely. But HOAs are supposed to be little democracies, and there is nothing wrong with advocating for change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs