Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado Springs: near airport, buying a house, new home, real estate, retirement plans.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 AM

136 posts, read 379,633 times

Advertisements

After seven years of living in Prescott Valley AZ I think we will be moving to Colorado. We have a son living in McPherson KS with wife and 15-month-old granddaughter. So you see we have strong reason to live within easy drive. Problem is we don't want to live in Kansas - too much like on "Everybody Loves Raymond" and also, something about living in Kansas doesn't sit right with us.

Originally we thought maybe we could move to Western Colorado (Glenwood Springs, etc.) but simply looking on the map I notice that Colorado Springs or even Pueblo seem to be much easier drive to Kansas. So you can see I'm trying to narrow down a suitable area to concentrate relocation destinations.

Our priorities are: MUST have airport nearby to fly to Phoenix Arizona FREQUENTLY due to health concerns with other immediate family. I absolutely must be able to arrive here in Prescott within a day or so, therefore an airport is mandatory. But we don't want to live in "big city" either so the airport can be 50 miles away or whatever - enough distance to reach the kind of life we want - not big city, but not one-mule village either. The usual retirement destination needs: medical, movies, restaurants etc.

I was reading with interest the other thread about where in Colorado Springs to move. Anyone else with some thoughts? What about Pueblo, CO???? How is that place to live compared to C.S.???

Thanks in advance,
Doug H.
Prescott Valley, AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 09:39 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Doug:

- There is a huge airport in Denver, not more than 75 minutes from COLO SPGS. Flights to anywhere and everywhere. Southwest Airlines with their low fares uses this airport in this region.
- There is a medium airport in COLO SPGS that should have flights to Phoenix.
- There is a small airport in Pueblo that may have flights to Phoenix.

Best way to find out the frequency of flights is to put a search into travelocity or other such system. We do have some pilots and frequent flyers on this board who may have actual experience.

Regarding driving to McPherson, KS, it is an easy drive from COLO SPGS, Monument, Woodland Park, Pueblo or Canon City. Consider them all the same for this aspect of your location.

If you still need to work, tell us about where that would be located and we might have some insights for you. Generally, the region is fairly compact around the city and the military bases here, most anywhere is fine. All of your retirement needs (same as ours) are met just fine up here in the far north end of town. Be sure to check the Briargate topics and photo's listed in the index of threads. Houses up here in all price ranges, mostly newish, good road access, eateries, shopping, nothing bad. But for retirees, any number of areas would work fine; depends mostly on how much land you want around you and what is your comfort zone on prices.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I don't blame you about living in Kansas! I grew up in Wichita and my grandma still lives in McPherson. It's about a 7hr drive from Woodland Park to McP, just under 1000 miles round trip. Pueblo tends to have more milder weather than the Springs, since it's down south and 1500' lower in elevation. Monument is at almost 7000' elevation, so it gets colder and more snow than the Springs. But Monument is an easy drive to Devner and the Springs, which is a big plus.

The wife and I really love Woodland Park. It's a mountain town that does get cold sometimes and will get more snow than the Springs (WP is 8500', CS is 6000'), but it's so beautiful up here. No crime, 7000 population, and a easy 20 minute drive down to Colorado Springs. Also only 80 miles from skiing at Breckenridge/Keystone.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
I used to visit Prescott Valley when I was a kid living in Kearny, AZ. I think you should choose Colo Spgs over Pueblo. Pueblo reminds me of AZ to be honest, dry and small (Seriously small) cacti on the ground. Pueblo will get snow, but not much. Colo Spgs is more like the temps you are used to, occasional snow and then melts right away. Pls visit to see for yourself.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 PM

121 posts, read 452,311 times
I live in Falcon, CO (eastern suburb) and love it - been in Falcon 5 years. In 5 years it has grown a lot and it continues to grow. It sounds like it may meet most of the criteria you described:

1) 20-25 minutes from Colorado Springs airport.
2) About 75 minutes to Denver Airport (DIA)
3) Much quieter than Colorado Springs, but Falcon still has major amenities needed (e.g. Wal-mart, grocery, gas, bars, restaurants, Blockbuster, pizza chains, etc.).
4) Only 15 minutes from big box stores, movie theaters, and plethora of restaurants in Stetson Hills area.
5) About 10-15 minutes from new Penrose Hospital.
6) Cost of housing is a little lower than many newer areas of town.
7) And it will cut 10-30 minutes off any other commute in the Colorado Springs area to Kansas.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
As you probably already know, Denver has dozens of daily direct flights to Phoenix on United, Frontier, Southwest, and U.S. Airways. Fares are typically very inexpensive on this route.

Colorado Springs has direct flights to Phoenix on U.S. Airways and most of the other carriers can get you there with a connection. Fares will be higher than Denver, however, so for that reason many people drive to Denver. Long ago, COS was actually cheaper than Denver, but that is no longer the case.

Pueblo is served by a small commuter carrier called Great Lakes Aviation, with flights to Denver. Great Lakes code-shares with Frontier Airlines so you can connect to Phoenix from Denver. As you'd expect, your fare from Pueblo will usually be higher than from Denver.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Hello all, thanks to all who bothered to respond! That was my first post in this forum and I must say it’s great that you all took time (‘speshly this time of year!) to answer my questions.

To get STRAIGHT to the point, because of some “communication issues” I now find that my stepson and his family are considering moving to Overland Park, KS because of greater job prospects. Which brings up the whole topic of parents moving to be near kids….in my view, it can be a dangerous game because what if they move AGAIN in five years time? I’m guessing many of you have either experience with this or just opinions – maybe both. Some feel that it’s a game for a damned fool to be following kids around the country while they’re in their 20’s. I remember when I was SURE I’d be in a given location forever – then along came a better paying job or a girl with long legs…you get the idea. Long story short, we might be looking at Colorado Springs or Pueblo – but I might be posting questions in Kansas City MO forum!

“Mike from back east”, I can’t thank you enough for your considered comments. From looking @ the maps, I agree – I should consider Colorado Springs, Monument, Woodland Park, Pueblo or Canon City more or less the same when it comes to driving to McPherson. To answer your question about my line of work – I’m retired from the printing industry and I will never give a damn about anybody’s need for business cards again! Instead, I’m now following my other passion – repairing antique clocks. It’s a hobby that pays an occasional bill or two. But the important thing is that it’s a hobby/income-producer that I do at home.

The rest of you good folks, I appreciate your valuable information and I will be taking it to heart. We’ll be visiting Colorado this Spring. It’s just that I think we’ll be considering Kansas City MO at the same time.

Thanks!
Doug H.
Prescott Valley, AZ

Old 12-08-2008, 05:51 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Doug, thanks for the kind words. City-Data is one of the things that I do in my retirement to have fun. Keeps me out of bars.

Following the kids around is a dicey game, the whole board may change and then you're stuck on Park Place while they've "passed go" and are over on Baltic Place with there money in the Reading RR.

The clock thing sounds like fun, I'm sure there's a show circuit where you can buy, sell and fix them. I keep my eyes on ebay for a certain Napoleon style with Westminster chimes, like my favorite uncle had .... buying back my childhood one memory at a time.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Doug, thanks for the kind words. City-Data is one of the things that I do in my retirement to have fun. Keeps me out of bars.

Following the kids around is a dicey game, the whole board may change and then you're stuck on Park Place while they've "passed go" and are over on Baltic Place with there money in the Reading RR.

The clock thing sounds like fun, I'm sure there's a show circuit where you can buy, sell and fix them. I keep my eyes on ebay for a certain Napoleon style with Westminster chimes, like my favorite uncle had .... buying back my childhood one memory at a time.
Mike, I know what you mean by "keep me out of the bars"!!! I was in top-40 bands and classic-rock bands most of my life and lemme tell ya - it ain't a healthy thing. Especially if you're married. Enough said. Clock repair is a hobby that keeps me safely at home and my bad habits in check. Yup, there's a couple of clock/watch organizations that runs annual shows in Denver (everywhere else too) but mostly I do it for fun. But after I repair and restore a few 100+ year-old clocks for neighbors and friends, word usually spreads and I can keep busy that way. Beats the heck out of "punching the clock".

Mike, you mentioned a Napoleon-style clock - I've never heard that term but after a little work on Google, I realize you mean mantle clock with the "camel-hump" case. They are still very prevalent and not hard to come by. Let me know if I can help you secure one - but one word of caution: if you buy one on eBay, steer clear of any that come with a "floating balance". It's a substitute for a pendulum. They quit working eventually (mostly because of incompetent service -they should NEVER be oiled) and are next to impossible to replace because the maker (a company called Hermle) quit making them in the late '60's or early '70's. You should be able to find a good Seth Thomas Napoleon mantle clock with time/strike/chime that has a good old-fashioned swinging pendulum. PM me if you need any more advice.......

Thanks again!!
Doug H.
Prescott Valley, AZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs