Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 AM

454 posts, read 1,225,042 times

Advertisements

your in Pueblo there is brown grass every where.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
LOL fair enough but not in my yard......

Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
You aren't going to like this answer but I choose a brown yard for conservation for the Earth. And if I don't like a brown yard, I choose a different type of landscaping that is more condusive to my environment. IMO I think it is up to everyone to be responsible with recycling, conserving our resources, and attempting to take care of our Earth. With that being said, I have always wanted an Earthship and Pueblo has the perfect environment! Maybe someday...
FYI- Fountain hasn't had any water restrictions yet we are encouraged to manage our water use/conservation. As it states, being a wise consumer.

Past articles for Pueblo water restrictions and Pueblo's water works page on water:

Board of Water Works of Pueblo-20 Ways to Save Water (http://www.pueblowater.org/20waystosave.html - broken link)

The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Puebloans continue to conserve water (http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2008/08/02/news/local/doc48942b0ed820f204285775.prt - broken link)

New water restrictions announced (http://www.greenco.org/releases/release021903-pc.htm - broken link)

Pueblo West Metropolitan District -- Board of Directors Meeting Minutes - September 28, 2004 (http://www.pueblowestmetro.com/minutes092804.php - broken link)

October 5, 2008--Quest for water (Pueblo Chieftain) | The Water Information Program

Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 PM

I don't mind if you want to have a brown yard or choose to have zeroscape, as I would never impose my beliefs on anyone else. I just don't like zeroscape and that is not a option for my yard. I like to be able to walk on the grass in the summer with no shoes and lay down on it at night and look at the stars and I like the way it looks, just a personal preference.

As far as Pueblo "asking" us to conserve water, that is mostly lip service to keep environmentalist happy as our rates promote the opposite. Puebloans pays 1.91 per 1,000 gallons with no restrictions on how much we can use and with a water supply that far exceeds the demand Pueblo will have in the coming century there is no reason to change it.

BTW I do have a question. How is having a brown yard helping save earth? I give you that it might help your community if your city did not plan for the future and have adequate water supplies but save the world?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,926 times
I'm finding all these posts rather hilarious. I'm officially in the middle on this issue. While I like green grass, I certainly am very careful how much water I use. On the other hand, I don't like people telling other people how much water they can or cannot use when it's legal to do so. Lastly, as Joss' said, how is having a brown yard helping the conservation of this earth??? Bottom line...I choose to use water wisely because it's MY decision and what I feel is the right thing to do. I certainly won't criticize Joss' for watering for 6 hours a day even though i choose not to water that much.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Keep in mind something as well, I do not over water my lawn. I don't have the sprinkler going just to see water go down the street, if that happens I know I have watered enough and lower that zones time. However, my house sits on a 1/2 acer of land. I have parts that are shrubs and trees that do not need water but a large part of it grass that has been here since the house was built in 1962. Overall I have 12 zones and one is a rain bird type so even if I have them set at 15 minutes that is about 3 hours. Now some are more and some are less but that is a average, for example the rain birds put out less water so I have them set at 30 minutes. Since Pueblo has planned and we have enough water for now and the future there is no need for me to change anything.

If I lived in Colorado Springs where water is more a concern I would have done someting years ago, that is just not the case in Pueblo.

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-01-2009 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 PM

140 posts, read 441,065 times
If you want to waste water, that's your perogotive... We are all on this earth together, it's not Pueblo v. Colorado Springs... You shouldn't conserve on water because it is expensive, you should conserve on it because you care about the Earth's resources... That's okay though, you do what you do.

By the way, I don't know what your perception is on xeriscape, but it seems that you don't have a clue what it is. You can still have grass and make it low water use. Buffalograss for example is a good variety. There are also several hybrids out there you can use. I have tried out a blend of fescue mixed with buffalograss and it works pretty well. It will only grow to a maximum of 5-6" so you also would not have to mow it as often.

What exactly do you do with a half acre of bluegrass? Look at it, mow it, and water it? Maybe, boast that you have the greenest yard in Pueblo?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:21 PM

First off can you explain how saving water will save the earth?

Second my yard is unique as I back up against a golf course so the grass naturally blends in with it. To have rock would not make for a nice transition.

What do I do with my lawn? Well that has changed as I have grown up. My grandparents built the house and gave it to me so when I was a kid I ran all over it with my dog. Now as I am older I do less running but I still like to go out on it in the summer and just relax and enjoy how it looks with the golf course right there. I have a nice patio so I like to BBQ and sit out on it and just enjoy the view.

I know what zerscape is and I have parts of my yard with it, mainly the front yard on both sides where I don't have to water, most of my lawn is in the back yard. My grandfather even put in the euro style red brick around the grass in the front yard to minimize the size of the lawn and give the front yard more to look at. Some day I want to add a very small pond and a stream in my back yard, when I have money saved up.

I don't see this as a Pueblo versus Colorado Springs matter either, I was just saying if I lived in a area, like Colorado Springs, that did not have enough water I would be doing different things. That is just not the case in Pueblo.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM

140 posts, read 441,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
First off can you explain how saving water will save the earth?
The major resource that is getting depleted (epecially around here) is water, fyi...

Old 02-01-2009, 04:40 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,926 times
Jeez, I can just see it already. Colorado Springs authorities penalizing people for having a lawn too green. A "Green Lawn Tax". The Green Lawn Police will be'a knockin'. So much for green grass, shrubs, trees, keeping our air clean. Now we kill them off, have lots of water but no clean air. See, you never win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs