Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 03:18 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,861,979 times

Advertisements

So a few days ago, I had the pleasure of witnessing a hummingbird sitting perfectly still for quite some time on the perch of one of my feeders - I'm pretty sure it must have been taking a little nap. It was just so interesting and fun getting to watch a hummingbird at rest for more than half a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 08:03 AM

216 posts, read 189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
So a few days ago, I had the pleasure of witnessing a hummingbird sitting perfectly still for quite some time on the perch of one of my feeders - I'm pretty sure it must have been taking a little nap. It was just so interesting and fun getting to watch a hummingbird at rest for more than half a second.
In my place back in the western Rochester, NY suburbs, my wife and I had a hummingbird feeder and so did our next door neighbor and she grew sunflowers. There was a woods in back of us and it was the perfect combination for attracting hummingbirds, goldfinches and bluebirds! The goldfinches would perch upside down on the sunflowers and feed on the seeds. Hummingbirds can get nasty with each other and the alphas dive bomb other hummingbirds near the feeders. One time my wife was sitting out in the backyard and an alpha dive bombed another hummingbird and it got knocked to the ground! My wife scooped up the downed hummingbird and held it in the palm of her hand, it was stunned but still alive. She laid it on the patio table and had to go inside for something. Shortly later when she checked on the hummingbird, it was gone and must have come to its senses and flew off. She said it was so cool holding that hummingbird in the palm of her hand!

Old 07-10-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
In my place back in the western Rochester, NY suburbs, my wife and I had a hummingbird feeder and so did our next door neighbor and she grew sunflowers. There was a woods in back of us and it was the perfect combination for attracting hummingbirds, goldfinches and bluebirds! The goldfinches would perch upside down on the sunflowers and feed on the seeds. Hummingbirds can get nasty with each other and the alphas dive bomb other hummingbirds near the feeders. One time my wife was sitting out in the backyard and an alpha dive bombed another hummingbird and it got knocked to the ground! My wife scooped up the downed hummingbird and held it in the palm of her hand, it was stunned but still alive. She laid it on the patio table and had to go inside for something. Shortly later when she checked on the hummingbird, it was gone and must have come to its senses and flew off. She said it was so cool holding that hummingbird in the palm of her hand!
I might have wanted to keep it as a pet ... just kidding. It would be fun to see one that up close.

I want to try one of those finger-ring feeders - supposedly they'll come right up to your hand to sip the nectar. Curious as to whether they'll really do that, but it would be fun to find out.

Old 07-10-2022, 12:56 PM

216 posts, read 189,763 times
Quote:
I might have wanted to keep it as a pet ... just kidding. It would be fun to see one that up close.

I want to try one of those finger-ring feeders - supposedly they'll come right up to your hand to sip the nectar. Curious as to whether they'll really do that, but it would be fun to find out.
That hummingbird visited us again and again that summer and would hover in front of us under our sunshade!

Old 07-31-2022, 01:00 AM

125 posts, read 100,424 times
Colorado has boatloads of hummingbirds. They are like swarms of bees at times at my house

Old 10-07-2022, 06:36 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,169,462 times
Just heard and then spotted Sandhill Cranes flying over the Palmer Divide.

Old 10-09-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Just heard and then spotted Sandhill Cranes flying over the Palmer Divide.
Cool. I've never seen them en masse; saw one once, flying fairly low over Fountain Creek in Manitou.

Now I'm just really missing the hummingbirds that kept me entertained all summer.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:34 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,169,462 times
Quote:
Cool. I've never seen them en masse; saw one once, flying fairly low over Fountain Creek in Manitou.
I always hear them before I see them. They fly WAY up high and are hard to spot.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
I always hear them before I see them. They fly WAY up high and are hard to spot.
It may have been an egret (heron) I saw. It definitely was flying low (and fast) over the creek.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:36 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,528,599 times
Quote:
It may have been an egret (heron) I saw. It definitely was flying low (and fast) over the creek.
The Egrets we get here are white. If it was a grayish bird, it was likely a Great Blue Heron. But they're not usually noted for being 'fast'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs