Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 AM

30 posts, read 42,843 times

Advertisements

We are trying to get my daughter into James Irwin High School. She starts Freshmen year this year. We've heard some good things about this school but wondering if anyone has any recent opinions. Also, my daughter is not real excited about leaving her current friends to go to a new school...any advice or things I can tell her about this school to help her transition?

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:10 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Have you toured the school and found out about course offerings, electives, extracurricular activities, policies, qualifications of teachers, sports, transportation, lunch programs (do they serve lunch and breakfast, what about free and reduced lunch qualifiers, etc.)?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:16 PM

You should also find out things like college acceptance, scholarship awards students have received. Do they have music programs, AP classes, vocational classes, what degrees do the teachers have, what are the discipline policies, and so on. Moving kids for high school it is well worth it to visit that school and get lots of information to make sure it is a good fit.

I couldn't tell you myself - I've heard both good and bad but I haven't visited it. It might be a good fit for some kids but a disaster for others.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 AM

We have visited the school and she is shadowing a student on Tuesday. Hopefully she will like it because leaving her friends is hard.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:04 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,981 times
I went there and was one of the first classes to graduate from there, in 2005. I at the time really hated it of course, because I was a student and students hate the school. But looking back it was a really great school, the teachers are really good, they know what they are talking about, a few of them are just out of school, so are up to date about what is going on at the school, but most of them, are teachers from the 'field' of what they teach. They have been in the subject for a long time, and really know their material.

About 80% or more of the kids from my graduating class went on to go to college, anywhere from The school of mines, to Hawaii, to I think a few got into Ivy Leagues. Not sure about what scholarships everyone got, but I know there were a few full rides.

I don't know if they are offering breakfast now, but it was not an 'official' breakfast when I went there, and there was reduced/free lunch for some students, it was brought over from Sierra.

There are A LOT of AP courses, but few vocational courses, only art, and computers if you can even count those as vocational. There are a lot of cool projects that the school does.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, pretty sure they would still do it, but, at the beginning of every year the whole high school goes on a trip to Frontier Ranch out past Sout Park colorado, for a big bonding thing. It was very very cool. I loved it. The bonds at the school are very good, our boys soccer, and girls volleyball/basket ball teams do very well.

Anything else?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks UNSMICCK! It's good to read about your experience. My daughter's biggest problems are leaving her friends (which is why we are doing this) and the dress code. The dress code doesn't seem so bad to me, but she likes to wear jeans...

Old 04-16-2009, 02:19 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,959,821 times
My step-son is going there now as an eigth grader and will be a freshman next year. He and his mother have been quite satisfied with it. We have been impressed with the individual attention the faculty has shown to the boy. So far so good.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 AM

Just an update...My daughter did get accepted and a friend of ours and hers got accepted as well. They have done some clothes shopping (this was a big deal for her...the dress code) and are encouraged about how they can dress even if it's more strict than public schools. She is even starting to look forward to attending. So if anyone else has any stories or recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 AM

My daughter just took her placement test on Saturday. She said she thought she did good. From what I've read, this isn't an admissions test, but more geared toward what classes they will be placed in. Looks like they have several advanced level classes.

Does anyone that's attended have advice on the advanced level classes? I've heard from others...some say put them in all the advanced classes you can and others say that sometimes the advanced classes discourage them and because they were advanced classes, they brought their GPA down...Do colleges look at the fact that your 3.8 GPA was based on 80% AP classes verses the other guy that got a 4.0 but had all standard classes?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:03 AM

As a person on scholarship review committees and a high school teacher, I would advise students to take all the advanced classes they can. We have turned kids down for scholarships because they took courses that were too fluffy to maintain higher gpa's, and we are more impressed by a kid with a 3.2 gpa in hard classes than a 4.0 kid taking the easy route. The harder classes also will do more to prepare kids for college. Colleges understand that too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs