Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times

Advertisements

I agree with these last posts!
I also think that MAYBE, just maybe...it might be a tad bit hard to make friends that live in the area whilst living in a Hotel!
Now I know that many people need to do this until they find a more permanent place but, I personally have never made friends or, even dinner plans with someone that had just moved into town staying at a Hotel.
Not trying to be snotty..but, it might make a person uncomfortable.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,718 times
Young lady I feel where ur coming from. I too am not from here, however, I have lived here off & on for about 20 yrs. nd u r absolutely correct when u say that these are the fakiest people whom we've encountered. Sweetie, the only thing I can say to u is "knowing is half the battle"! With that said I have since relocated to Denver & I love it. Colo. Sprs itself seems to be a town of misery and is really sad. To be quite honest, I have told my mother on several occassions that I felt that Colo.Sprs, was evil! Everyone out there seems to think that someones out to get them on some level, just pure confussion. May God go with u & ur family, u will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Fakiest?

That's strange how the people in one area are fantastic but less than 100 miles south they're all evil.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM

598 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Not to be rude here, but I totally disagree about Colorado Springs not being friendly.

I don't care if someone's lived here their entire life or if someone moved here a year ago...this place is a great city. Not just because of the mountains, nice weather, etc., but because of the people.

Sure, there may be some bad experiences, but you'll get those wherever you live. You simply cannot base an entire city on a few different people. Sorry, but the excuses seem so "high schoolish" to me. Remember the drama there with friends...uhhhhg.

As with any city, it is what you make of it. With time and getting out...volunteering, church, work, youth sports, etc., friendships are developed. It's how we invest in those relationsips that makes the difference in long-term, day to day life.

I moved here 5 years ago...lived all over the world before that. Grew up in a rural area in Wisconsin, moved to St. Paul, MN after High School, then to Boston, California, Washington D.C. North Carolina, Alaska, back to California and a few places overseas. When i got here, I was warmly welcomed...not only by co-workers, but my community...church, neighbors and people who I simply met out for drinks. Making friends is no different here than any other place I've been.

Five years later, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I live in a modest house/neighborhood, have an average paying job, etc. There's so much to like about this area, but what stands out to me is my neighborhood. I couldn't be any happier. People from all different backgrounds, religious, political, work, race, etc., all in one little neighborhood coming together and making it a great place to live. BBQ's on Sunday evenings throughout the summer, going hiking together, going to sporting events together, dining out, etc. Neighbors helping each other in a time of need...and everyone has needed each other at least a few times over the years. Every person in our neighborhood gets a neighborhood birthday party. I could go on and on.

Bottom line...this is a great city to live in. Invest in your neighborhood...make a difference in your community. You'll have friendships that will last a lifetime!

Peace...

Old 02-10-2010, 02:57 PM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times
Agreed.

People are people.......doesn't matter where you are. Part of me thinks....we're going about this the wrong way.............let's keep our town our lil' secret.........it might mean shorter bank lines and shorter waits at restaurants......who knows how good it could get???

"Yes....people in CO Springs are all mean and flakey.....(even though most folks who live here are from all over).

People in Denver are soooo nice....and don't forget Pueblo...........veeerrry niiiiccee..............so move elsewhere.............wavey hands.......wavey hands.........mooooove elsssewwhheeree.........wavey hands........the Springs is full of meeeeeaaaan peeeeeeple........wavey hands..........staaaaay awaaaay...."

Last edited by Terytee; 02-10-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 PM

154 posts, read 432,191 times
Bullitt007.. Your neighborhood sounds great! May I ask... is it a neighborhood with young families..or are most of you retired and just enjoying each others company? I live in a young neighborhood with lots of kids... we have the kids play outside and we have meetings like Bunco/Cookie Exchange etc...but are otherwise all very busy. The neighborhood you describe is the kind of neighborhood I hope to live in when I am retired and have more time to enjoy life (right now the kids keep me busy with school work and their after school activities weekends we spend in great Rockies! In the past 25 years I have looked for that "perfect place to live" .... There is no perfect place. Every place has good and bad. It is all about your attitude and how much one wants to give back to the community.
I hope that some others will come out and tell here how good their CS experiences have been.... definately, this is no evil place! Just seeing Pikes Peak (almost) every day makes my day!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:51 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Moved to Colorado Springs about 7 years ago. The people here are great!! Even, the cashiers at stores, everyone personally or in business have been kind. (There have been a few exceptions).

I think it's the setting, here in the shadow of Pikes Peak and the fresh air, just the feel of the area. The neighborhood I live in, people are walking thier doggies and jogging and riding bikes and horses, too. We seem to love the outdoors, in all types of weather.

I have seen this community pull together for people in need; this area just seems to be a community with a heart.

My hope is that the city government will wake up and smell the coffee and bring back basic services for this community.

Molly

Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM

598 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie123 View Post
Bullitt007.. Your neighborhood sounds great! May I ask... is it a neighborhood with young families..or are most of you retired and just enjoying each others company? I live in a young neighborhood with lots of kids... we have the kids play outside and we have meetings like Bunco/Cookie Exchange etc...but are otherwise all very busy. The neighborhood you describe is the kind of neighborhood I hope to live in when I am retired and have more time to enjoy life (right now the kids keep me busy with school work and their after school activities weekends we spend in great Rockies! In the past 25 years I have looked for that "perfect place to live" .... There is no perfect place. Every place has good and bad. It is all about your attitude and how much one wants to give back to the community.
I hope that some others will come out and tell here how good their CS experiences have been.... definately, this is no evil place! Just seeing Pikes Peak (almost) every day makes my day!
Hey Rosie,

It's really a mixture of young, middle-aged and retired couples...several kids as well...aged 6-15. We all moved in about the same time (within a year of each other) since it was a new subdivision at the time. We were all in the same boat, so it was easy for us to get to know each other. We all have very different backgrounds, in every way possible, but we all like it that way.

Also, we make it a point to have most of our functions in the front of the houses...we like that much better as it's more inviting to other neighbors and basically just much more open than a fenced off back yard. Kinda old school, if you will...kids playing out in the street with frisbies, nerf footballs, etc., while the parents are grilling and having drinks.

We found Sunday nights to work the best as most people are home and relaxing that evening and we have much more participation that night than any other during the week.

Other fun stuff we do...Pumpkin carving, Christmas Cookie baking parties, croquet in the back yard (perfect "sport" for the men as you can hold your beer in one hand and whack a ball with the other!) The younger men in the neighborhood also mow the lawns/shovel snow for our retired neighbors.

Also, we all have very good communication as well...cell phone, email, facebook, etc. Very easy for us to plan something very quickly...important when you have such a diverse group. Nothing formal about our neighborhood at all...the key is to keep things as simple as possible. All of the kids look forward to Sunday evenings and will have a lifetime of memories to look back on.

Next up...all of the adults are going out for Valentine's Day Dinner at a nice restaraunt...my oldest daughter volunteered to be the neighborhood babysitter!

Cheers,
Bullitt

Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 PM

154 posts, read 432,191 times
Bullitt007 - sounds very neat! Thanks for sharing

Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Yes, Bullitt - that sounds bery nice and that's pretty much what I had when I was a kid and figured that kind of stuff was gone for good. I'm not too chummy with my immediate neighbors but we have made very many meaningful friendships since we moved her less than 2yrs ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs