Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times

Advertisements

No was thinking of Baca House but maybe reading some of the history of the area I mis read that.
That is interesting that the Bent's and Carson wives were sisters. That time of history is so interesting to me. Been reading a little bit about the Cimmeron pass area during that time period too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:40 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Here are some other things I'd recommend if you're interested in reading more:

One of the best I've read recently on that period is "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides, an excellent writer who lives in Santa Fe. It was one of the best accounts of the Americanization of that area I've come across and is loaded with Carson and Bent related material. Another good writer who specialized in that area of the Soutwest was Morris F. Taylor, who was a professor at Trinidad State. His books are largely out of print nowadays but I've had good luck rounding up used copies on Abebooks. Also Marc Simmons has written several very good works on the history of the Santa Fe Trail that are worth picking up.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

One of the best I've read recently on that period is "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides, an excellent writer who lives in Santa Fe. It was one of the best accounts of the Americanization of that area I've come across and is loaded with Carson and Bent related material. Another good writer who specialized in that area of the Soutwest was Morris F. Taylor, who was a professor at Trinidad State. His books are largely out of print nowadays but I've had good luck rounding up used copies on Abebooks. Also Marc Simmons has written several very good works on the history of the Santa Fe Trail that are worth picking up.

Thanks, I've copied and will see if I can pick them up from Amazon. While we visit Northern NM and Southern Co every year, I like to read the history while were on our yearly trip. We usually start out Trinidad, then Pagosa springs, Chama, Santa Fe and sometimes Taos area before home. We do it every year at the end of September. It cools down here in Eastern OK so I only need to hire someone for the horses and dogs/cats Cattle can fend for them selves during that time. Again thank you!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Thanks, I've copied and will see if I can pick them up from Amazon. While we visit Northern NM and Southern Co every year, I like to read the history while were on our yearly trip. We usually start out Trinidad, then Pagosa springs, Chama, Santa Fe and sometimes Taos area before home. We do it every year at the end of September. It cools down here in Eastern OK so I only need to hire someone for the horses and dogs/cats Cattle can fend for them selves during that time. Again thank you!
Sometimes you can luck out and find stuff on the subject at the library, one disadvantage being you don't have it around the house to reference later. Yesterday I checked out a book on the life of Georgia O'Keeffe. The 1930s is another period of SW history I find very interesting.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

I'll second the recommendation of "Blood and Thunder." So good, I read it twice - seriously.

On another note, I'm finally heading down to Sand Creek and Bent's Fort this Thursday as I have some time off work and I'm not traveling. I'm really looking forward to it!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM

I have read Georgia O'Keefe bio. While in Santa Fe we were lucky enough to see some of her works. Years ago when looking at her prints I wasn't that impressed but they grow on you and I love her work now. Boy was she nuts about that husband of hers! I have most of the books written about Ghost Ranch because of our love of the Chama area. It is just so errrie in that area, talking about the landscape.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM

One other interesting fact about Carson's and Bent's wives was that they were from one of the Spanish families in the area. There were a lot of cross-cultural marriages amongst sll classes including the elites during that period so many folks around there are of mixed Anglo/Hispano heritage.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 AM

I ordered the book Blood and Thunder from amazon. Bought it used so it may take a week or so to get here but can't wait to read it.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I ordered the book Blood and Thunder from amazon. Bought it used so it may take a week or so to get here but can't wait to read it.
Unfortunately it was another one I checked out of the library but I think I'll probably do the same as it would be a worthwhile addition to my Southwestern bookshelf.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I ordered the book Blood and Thunder from amazon.
Debbie, you might find some information on this site of interest.

Boggsville site

There is also of list of other books on the area there. You'll see references to Boones. They were also part of the Bent/Carson group back to Daniel and his family in MO where they pretty much all came from, except for the Spanish folk already in CO and NM. Very interesting bios on the women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado