Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,147 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Grand Junction school system has been closing schools and/or eliminating positions in the last few years? I may be teaching there next year but do not want to move if it means possibly getting laid off in a year or two due to a shrinking school system.

I'm concerned because I've read unemployment there is high and many are leaving the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
How ya doing bc45?

Not to my knowledge. You are right about the unemployment situation as things have been pretty rough. One observation from my neighborhood on people leaving the area; as you know hundreds of jobs were lost in the energy field. Recently a fair amount of people in my neighborhood have moved up to North Dakota as some of those contractors are hiring. They drew out all their unemployment and wanted to stay here, but couldn't.

I haven't heard of any closings; a good friend of mine is a custodian at Fruita Monument High School. I'll call him this weekend and see what the scoop is.

I'll get back w' ya on this.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,147 times
Thanks DoubleH!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
My coworker's girlfriend is a school system administrator for Mesa county. According to him and her, the number of jobs has remained about constant and there are openings for different types of jobs on a regular basis. It's probably the only bright light in the employment picture in Grand Junction.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 PM

23 posts, read 98,198 times
I work for the school district here. The way things stood at the end of the year was this:
HUGE Budget cuts for the classrooms.
Reduction in the filling of positions. For instance, if someone was a teacher for say a science class, and they retired, they would not hire anyone else for that position IF they were able to move teachers around within the district. If there was a teacher able to teach science, and the class they were currently teaching had low enrollment, etc, then that teacher would be moved and the other class would not be available. I have heard of some new hires in some certain positions, it just really depends. There have currently been NO lay offs of employees, but that doesn't mean there won't be. They also changed the health insurance plan to one that is more costly to employees and less helpful.
Hope that helped?

Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Recently a fair amount of people in my neighborhood have moved up to North Dakota as some of those contractors are hiring. They drew out all their unemployment and wanted to stay here, but couldn't.
Two of my friends from the western slope have gone to ND as well. This is the same story as the shale bust, but it's playing out a little slower.

For the OP, I wouldn't be surprised if enrollments are cut by a third over the next few years. Back in '82, many western slope schools were cut nearly in half after Exxon pulled the plug on its oil shale project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Sh3llB3ll View Post
There have currently been NO lay offs of employees, but that doesn't mean there won't be.
A couple years ago GJ was featured on CNBC for being one of the few areas of the country that hadn't been hit by the recession. GJ was just late to the party like it has always been in the past, and if history can serve as a guide, it will also be one of the last areas to recover.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:55 PM

23 posts, read 98,198 times
I know enrollment will be down this coming year, as a lot of families have left the area due to unemployment. The district is staunch on their stand of no lay offs and they think they have their budget crisis under control, but again, that is all probably just a wait and see situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado