Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 44,562 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are many sophisticated cities in Colorado. I am looking for the most sophisticated one. When I say sophisticated I mean classy, a lot of class.
I'm aware there are a lot of hippies in Colorado, but I am looking more for a '50s/'60s teddy boy/mod culture rather than the '70s hippie culture. I hope some of you reading this will understand what I am talking about. I hope somebody can inform me about the "Classiest City of Colorado."

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Isn't Colorado still basically a Western cowboy state? From how many cities in the state can you choose?

Old 06-23-2007, 08:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
I guess the larger the city, the larger the probability a particular micro-culture exists. So I guess Denver would be the most logical choice. Of course Boulder with the University might be something to look into. The other cities seem to have, like someone had posted, a western feel or maybe a history of mining, military, or agriculture.

I understand the teddy boy and the mod cultures. I don't understand how it relates to "class" or being "classy" or being sophisticated.

The hippies are in their 50s and 60s now. Even the punkers are fat and balding now. (Well, I'm not bald yet...)

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-23-2007 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 06-23-2007, 09:36 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
OK that would be Denver, I used to be into Rockabilly and punk and its the only city big enough to support the lifestyles. There are not really that many hippies here, but then I have lived here so long I have nothing to compare it too, its definitely not San Francisco. Boulder seems to think it has class but really its just a bunch of pretentious (with a capitol P) people. Denver has class if you go to lodo, there are some fun clubs too. You definitely wont find anything as chic as Rome or Paris here, thats for sure!!!!!!!

Hey Charles I was a punker and I'm just a bit fluffy, not fat or bald

Old 06-23-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
There are not really that many hippies here, but then I have lived here so long I have nothing to compare it too, its definitely not San Francisco. Boulder seems to think it has class but really its just a bunch of pretentious (with a capitol P) people.
Not San Francisco? I was thinking contrary to that. I thought sophisticated cities like San Fran, New York, Seattle or Boston would have the classiest culture.

So how come Denver has a classy culture?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,736 times
Since I am not that 'sophisticated' I cannot answer this question. However, perhaps you should be looking for a 'sophisticated' community. I cannot think of any city in CO and say it is all 'Sophisticated'.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:56 AM

110 posts, read 473,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I understand the teddy boy and the mod cultures. I don't understand how it relates to "class" or being "classy" or being sophisticated.
I agree, I am old enough to remember the teddy boy and mod cultures, but I see no correlation whatsoever with being classy OR sophisticated.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
I agree, I am old enough to remember the teddy boy and mod cultures, but I see no correlation whatsoever with being classy OR sophisticated.
The correlation is there although I admit it may be ambiguous. My idea is a place where you can wear business suits and leather boots without heads turning and eyes rolling. It seems to me ties, button-up shirts, and slacks are a thing of the past. Today, wearing such a thing would be considered formal whereas back then it could be seen as casual. Back then, everyone looked clean and neat, but today people parade the streets like a circus wearing there t-shirt, jeans and sandals. Back then, sophistication and class meant something. It permeates to common behavior as well, not just dress. Today people speak with a crass and crude manner, but at a time in a different culture it wasn't this way. People presented their manner and attitudes with class and I was wondering where in the U.S. this exists, if it does.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 15,860 times
Cool Should I Laugh or Cry ??

What the Heck ? One thing is for sure, what you are looking for and talking about definitely does not exist anywhere in Colorado. I was a mortgage broker in Boulder for 6 years and wore suit n tie a lot. People actually stop you in a store or on the street and ask, "Hey, what are you doing? Wow, you look sharp. Are you going to a wedding? What's the occasion?" I'm sure in Denver you could wear cowboy boots with a 3-piece suit and no one would bat an eye. For the most part, people here dress very casually unless they need to dress formally for their employment/career or to attend some sort of business function or event, etc.

Last edited by mdz; 06-27-2007 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: trolling

Old 07-20-2007, 09:58 PM

8 posts, read 50,903 times
OMG! You guys crack me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Laugh!!!!.....sigh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado