Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM

111 posts, read 574,904 times

Advertisements

I will be driving to Littleton from New York City (in a 16' moving truck) in a couple weeks. Mapquest suggests going NY to NJ, PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Denver. 1,800 miles and 27 hours. Does that sound like a good route? I'll check google maps, too, as mapquest "gets you there" but not always the best way! My mother is concerned about driving on mountainous roads since Denver is at an elevation, but we'd be on the east side of the rockies, so I'm not certain where mountain driving comes in. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesunnydays View Post
I will be driving to Littleton from New York City (in a 16' moving truck) in a couple weeks. Mapquest suggests going NY to NJ, PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Denver. 1,800 miles and 27 hours. Does that sound like a good route? I'll check google maps, too, as mapquest "gets you there" but not always the best way! My mother is concerned about driving on mountainous roads since Denver is at an elevation, but we'd be on the east side of the rockies, so I'm not certain where mountain driving comes in. thanks.
No mountain driving. It's a good practice to compare Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, AAA maps, Mapquest, etc. See if they all agree. Maker sure you have hardcopy maps in the vehicle with you.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 PM

111 posts, read 574,904 times
Default From Norfolk?

Thanks, Charles, for the quick reply! I should have added that I'm an east-coaster (never been through the midwest at all), so I'm very geographically inexperienced with all the states I'll be passing through (other than NJ, and eastern PA).

I was considering doing the drive from norfolk, virginia, but then I would have to cross the blue ridge mountains, so it seems from new york is better (as far as avoiding mountains)?

Old 07-13-2007, 02:52 PM

184 posts, read 1,019,532 times
The only mountains you'll get between NYC and Littleton are the Appalachians. Denver is in the plains, the mountains start further west in CO.

I've taken all of the route you mention except for the NY - PA section. The rest of it would be nice and flat, easy to drive. Not scenic, but I'm not guessing that is what you are going for with a moving truck.

Don't fall asleep on the drive. After Chicago, there is no excitement again until you hit Denver traffic. It is a real snoozer of a drive.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:59 PM

62 posts, read 314,681 times
Default I will be right behind you....

My boyfriend just drove from Long Island to Evergreen and went through all the States you mentioned. He was on Route 80 most of the way as far as I know....I will be making the drive in August with no truck but with an 80 lb dog...if you have specifc questions email me, He will be back Sunady and I can get more info.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:52 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,297,230 times
I did that drive many years ago - Rt 80 most of the way. If you think it takes a long time to drive across PA, wait till you get to Nebraska! Also, from Chicago to Denver is one giant corn field

Old 07-13-2007, 05:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Have driven from Pittsburgh to Denver many times, including on my honeymoon! Would recommend going I-70 to Indianapolis, then I-74 to the Quad Cities. You avoid Chicago that way. From the Quad Cities, take I-80 to I-76 in Colo. You go through Omaha instead of Kansas City that way. I-80 has much better services along the route than I-70. 80 is the old Oregon trail; has been a tourist trap for over a century, so has restaurants, motels, etc. I-70 is more remote.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:23 AM

10 posts, read 57,020 times
We just did the drive 2 weeks ago from LI NY to Broomfield Co 2 SUV's and a 24' Budget truck. It took us 4 days. PM me if you need any other info.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 37,275 times
Default Driving from NY city to Littletton, Co

Hi: We drove from central NJ to Denver 3 years ago, in the 1st week of August. There is no mountain driving involved only plains! We took I78 thru to I81 thru I76 to I70. and drove on I70 all the way into Colorado. We have subsequently driven on I80 back to chicago but prefer the I70 route.

It took us 3 days. we left at 7pm from NJ! stopped in PA ~11pm, ate breakfast and left the next am ~10am driving into St. Louis, we reached at midnight! Did sightseeing around St Louis and left at 4pm the next afternoon, reached Topeka, KN ~11pm and stayed over. Next morning left after breakfast ~10am we reached Denver (near Denver Intn airport at 6pm!). Lots of folks driving on I70 and we could maintain a good speed of 80+ most of the way. Only when we had to pass 3-4 big towns we encountered traffic jams! Happy driving!

Hope this helps.
Regards PSS

Old 07-14-2007, 01:52 PM

422 posts, read 758,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesunnydays View Post
Denver is not in the Rockies. It's on the plains near the rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado