Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM

254 posts, read 513,473 times

Advertisements

I agree with wong21fr's comment re: Mines. The Colorado School of Mines typically rates and ranks higher on most "Best Colleges" lists than CU and CSU. I'm a bit surprised to see it (and Colorado College) ranked lower than CSU and CU on the OP's list (unless this list is disguised as the party school ranking?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Maybe they were looking at research. How much does Mines spend on research versus the CU system and CSU system?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM

254 posts, read 513,473 times
Hmmm, good question. Another question might be how much $ do the universities receive from the Fed Govt and from industry to do research. I'm guessing that info has to be online somewhere... I imagine all 3 institutions do very well in terms of research funds received from external sources.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks35 View Post
I'm very skeptical of any list that puts 3 schools ahead of the Air Force Academy.
Not me, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Research conducted could also be a factor, as could the "prestige" of the faculty. A bit of a secret of all the service academies is that a lot of the courses are taught by faculty not holding a PhD or even a graduate degree.

It's true that rankings are subjective, but I'm surprised to see Mines below the Air Force Academy in this one.
Me, too. Agree about the AFA faculty. I know someone who taught there, full time, not an adjunct prof, w/o a PhD, possibly w/o even a master's.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Me, too. Agree about the AFA faculty. I know someone who taught there, full time, not an adjunct prof, w/o a PhD, possibly w/o even a master's.
This is true about the staff and PhD, but I'm pretty sure that they all have at least a Master's degree. Right now I am attending the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey. Military officers of all branches and about 20 different countries attend here for graduate degrees that may be applied to DoD related issues. (The best part is they all have civilian applications as well!) I had a classmate who was an Air Force Captain, and his pay-back tour for attending NPS was to serve a tour as an instructor at the AFA. Tough life, right? I'm pretty sure that all of their instructors who are not PhD have attended either NPS or AFIT (Air Force Institute of Technology) in Dayton, OH as a prerequisite for serving on the staff there at the AFA.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 AM

88 posts, read 139,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
This is true about the staff and PhD, but I'm pretty sure that they all have at least a Master's degree. Right now I am attending the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey. Military officers of all branches and about 20 different countries attend here for graduate degrees that may be applied to DoD related issues. (The best part is they all have civilian applications as well!) I had a classmate who was an Air Force Captain, and his pay-back tour for attending NPS was to serve a tour as an instructor at the AFA. Tough life, right? I'm pretty sure that all of their instructors who are not PhD have attended either NPS or AFIT (Air Force Institute of Technology) in Dayton, OH as a prerequisite for serving on the staff there at the AFA.
Their primary focus is on teaching instead of research as well(which may explain the rankings) instead of having TAs do most of the instruction.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks35 View Post
Their primary focus is on teaching instead of research as well(which may explain the rankings) instead of having TAs do most of the instruction.
Their primary focus is producing soldiers.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
^^I read it. It's all focused on science. If that's your idea of a good college, I guess it's accurate.
It's anecdotal at best, but since I was a kid, I've always been able to cite CU as a great school for Geology, Astronomy and Meteorology...even before I was particularly aware of what that meant. Having grown up Catholic, I *still* can't tell you what Notre Dame is great for...except that once upon they were amazing at football...and I *hated* them for it.

So yes, my idea of a good college is focused on science

Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,629 times
Quote:
Their primary focus is producing soldiers.
Their primary focus is too produce airmen, soldiers are service members of the Army.

Soldiers everywhere just cringed to be compared to the Chair Force

Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Their primary focus is too produce airmen, soldiers are service members of the Army.

Soldiers everywhere just cringed to be compared to the Chair Force
Well, I have no military background, so forgive my mistake. Still and all, the AFA's primary focus is not education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
It's anecdotal at best, but since I was a kid, I've always been able to cite CU as a great school for Geology, Astronomy and Meteorology...even before I was particularly aware of what that meant. Having grown up Catholic, I *still* can't tell you what Notre Dame is great for...except that once upon they were amazing at football...and I *hated* them for it.

So yes, my idea of a good college is focused on science
I have always thought of CU as a great school for engineering and physics. I guess you could say biology, too. Those are the disciplines its Nobel Prize winners were/are in. Meteorology? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado