Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 AM

13 posts, read 18,433 times

Advertisements

So we live in NJ now and have been to Durango twice in 6 months to check properties, homes, etc.. We loved the location and pet friendly environment as we have three dogs, no kids yet. My husband just started working from the home so we have decided to finally stick a fork in NJ and high tail out of here. Propert taxes, corruption and too many Snookies.
Anyhow, we loved Hesperus and outside of Durango. We do not want to be in the heart of gas lands. We don't want our pets/family drinking water that could be contaminated, etc.. It seemed like folks in La Plata County, actually got offended when we asked about the drilling/fracking issues. We understand that property taxed are almost $9,000 less then here in NJ but we just refuse to live anywhere where we can see a well.
With that being said of course we fell in love with a home in Hesperus and it doesn't have actual drilling or a well, instead it has an interstate 3 pipe gas line running through the property which was installed in 1955, so we have moved on. We are flexible with location. We love the backdrop in Durango and the little downtown feeling. I am a chef and have recently sold my business and am not looking for work as i am assisting my husband, therefor, I cook a lot and don't mind staying home so being outside of a "downtown" location is ok for us. We want more acreage and seclusion.
If anyone has locations in Colorado we would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited by rollerderby305; 01-20-2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM

345 posts, read 914,214 times
Well if you don't want to see wells, Weld County is off your list. We have lots of them, I can look in all 4 directions and see them . Also if you are looking for some acreage and you do not own the minerals rights on your land you have no say about them drilling on your own property.
Someone years ago Colorado came up with the genius idea of selling water rights and mineral rights off the land to others. So I "own' my land but other people get my water shares and they also own my minerals. So if they found a good pocket of oil, they can and will drill on my land, I get no money, the people who own my minerals do and have to see the ugliness in my backyard.

In Southern CO there are oil wells as well, and you have water issues. Land is really cheap and there is a reason for it.

Eastern CO has wells and lots and lots of nothingness in my opinion. I could not be paid to live that far out East. Lots of land for sale but wells and inconvience if you want to be within say 30-60 mins of a good size city and activites.

Oil is a big business and if you are so set on not having a well you might want to live in the suburbs, or pick another state.

Oh and Weld County and out East are not pet friendly. Livestock is very important and if your dogs get loose and chase someone's livestock they can legally ( and very well may) shoot your dog/dogs. I have no desire to shoot anyone's dog so now I have dogs that will run off strange dogs. But others will just shoot, my neighbor has
Animal Control is also a joke out here and to the East. People dump animals all the time and they show up alot and animal control will do nothing. Very annoying when you find 10 cats in the space of a few months in your garage, your barn etc that are not yours and no one will claim them!

Last edited by gmm_24; 01-20-2011 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: add pet info

Old 01-20-2011, 11:20 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Try looking at Woodland Park, in the mountains just west of COLO SPGS; nothing wrong with a view of Pikes Peak.

Look in the foothill areas a bit west of Denver, not quite in the mountains, not quite in the city.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM

90 posts, read 285,504 times
Woodland Park is a good suggestion. Ridgway(correct spelling) and Montrose have some areas that are lower in elevation that do not have gas/oil in view.

LaVeta is another nice area, as are Buena Vista and Salida.

You didn't mention a price range. That is going to be the biggest issue. If you want acreage, you either need $$$$$$ or you will be in a more remote area.

Did you look up by McPhee reservoir near Delores or in Mancos?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
If you like Durango why don't you just look for a place in town?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
If you want something a little cheaper and less people but I like better than Durango and is probably less than an hour from Durango try Pagosa Springs. We stay in Chama, NM every year but spend lots of time in Pagosa while there. I am thinking of retiring in Trinidad area on the Santa Fe Trail subdivision which are 35 acrea type lots and the POA owns the mineral rights so your have a good chance of not seeing wells.

I live on a ranch in Eastern OK so I do under stand your "distaste" for the oil companies. Have a few hundred acres, I am always fighting them and thus far have avoided a well on my property ONLY BECAUSE all the people around me love them so they come close but not on.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
be sure to look north, particularly around montrose and ridgway as well. if i were to move back, i think i'd choose somewhere around montrose or gunnison, personally.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 AM

Price range is from 500k-900k tops.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 AM

There isn't much land in the downtown area of Durango

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Roller, if flat-track roller derby is your thing, there's a team in COLO SPGS, just 30 or so minutes from Woodland Park.

Pikes Peak Derby Dames practice and play in the historic City Auditorium.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado