Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 13,311 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm 40 single and living in Boulder. I'm a CU alum and ventured back to Boulder from back east a few years ago. I don't feel like I fit in here. I love the town but the people sort of drive me crazy. I don't have deep social opinions and don't have a suburu and didn't vote for Obama. I don't have a bunch of conspiracy thoughts about the government. I don't have dredlocks. I don't have tattoos or rings in my nose. Yes, I like O'Reilly.

I've been thinking of checking out Aspen for the summer. I love to flyfish and would like to try something different. I could afford 1500-2000 a month for a place and can work from home.

I was curious if Woody Creek is a good place to live. Is it a bunch of hippies or weirdos? Would it be a Boulder scene on a much smaller condensed scale? Would it be tough or inconvenient for a single guy if I need social interaction living outside of Aspen? Would living in town be a better option for a single person? Any ideas on places to live in Aspen or Snowmass if you think that would be a better choice? I have a 30 lb. dog.

PS. It doesn't have to be the Aspen area---but I thought it would be a cool place over the summer. I've wondered about Vail also. I just thought Aspen is it's own town besides a ski resort which I thought would make it more interesting.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
I've always liked Aspen better than Vail. I spent a couple of weeks camped just outside of Aspen a few summers ago and enjoyed the experience. I was there for the summer music festival, but there is plenty of good fishing, too. Aspen is a pretty liberal town, but not quite so PC as Boulder. So, you are still going to have to deal with the liberal mindset there. What eventually wore me out were the herds of tourists - even though I was one of them. And the conspicuous displays of wealth. But if you have plenty of money yourself, you might not notice that as much as I did. You can probably find a studio or possibly a one bedroom in your price range. Personally, I wouldn't live in town. It's just so busy with the tourists and the musicians and the music festival goers, but for someone who likes there to be something always going on, it might be OK.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I've spent many a week in the Aspen area since the mid 1960's ...

and there's a lot to like about the outdoor recreation there during the summer months.

If you can afford to live up there; ie, find a place to rent that will meet your needs and allow your pet, then it's a great place to spend a summer.

But I wouldn't live in Aspen ... for me, it's just the local town with shopping/restaurants and the summer concerts. Otherwise, way too many people, too busy, too much stuff going on that is counter to the idea of getting away to the hills ...

With it's proximity to Reudi and fishing, I'd head for Basalt, or over by Carbondale. You can still readily access Aspen for it's attractions, but then live closer to the countryside and back country that was the main reason for heading up to the area.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 13,311 times
I've been to Carbondale and Basalt for a quick bite or to fill up the tank. I did notice lots of hispanics in wife beaters strolling around Carbonale which kind of shocked me. Sorry if that's not PC (see what I mean about not fitting in Boulder! lol).

When I say I want to head to the mountains and fish, I want to be clear, I do not want to isolate myself---that's my concern with Woody Creek. Is it pretty isolated? I like the convenience of quick good food which is a main concern and why I was thinking of living in Aspen vs Woody Creek.

No, I'm not rich. But I'm not poor either. I don't think the wealth of Aspen folk will bother me.

I'm looking for a place to enjoy the summer--a change from Boulder. A place where I can fish and meet some cool people and not look at thousands of bumper stickers that say Bush Kills, Stop Bitching and Start a Revolution, and Coexist.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutGuy View Post
(snip)
When I say I want to head to the mountains and fish, I want to be clear, I do not want to isolate myself---that's my concern with Woody Creek. Is it pretty isolated? I like the convenience of quick good food which is a main concern and why I was thinking of living in Aspen vs Woody Creek.

(snip)
You ... and only you ... can be the sole judge of how balanced your life will and can be between desired access to outdoor recreation and the "locals" and the tourist throngs and the local shopping/entertainment/restaurants.

For those of us who camped out in the 'bells years ago and had days when we were the only camper there on a spring/early summer morning ...

There's been an explosive growth of tourist/outdoor related activity in the area, and you can count on lots of other folk who will be fishing the creeks around Aspen.

If your primary goal is solitude and great fishing, then you'll need to be some distance away from the town centers.

If your primary goal is to have ready access to all the charms of Aspen, then you'll have to accept that others ... many others ... will be there, from all walks of life.

If you find that interacting with them is offensive, then perhaps a population/recreation center such as Aspen may not suit your requirements.

The rest of the state is not Boulder.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Why not try the Roaring Fork Valley? Close enough to Aspen so you can get your town fix and great fishing. Fewer liberals, too.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:15 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
Breckenridge

Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Unless I missed something Woody Creek is not a town, just a bunch of wealthy big homes and a bar. I don't remember there being much in the way of places that would rent for that sum every month.

Aspen is all about weirdos. I have always described it as a place of extremes. I always found the people there extreme in some way, very few "regular" people there, rich or poor. It is without a doubt, left leaning.

In the summer though I find it a fun place, definitely scenic and lots going on. Snowmass is nice too, always liked it back in there during summer.

Personally I think it's worth doing for a summer.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:24 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
I just checked craigslist under "High Rockies" and searched Aspen and there are some great deals. Woody Creek is beautiful and not too far from town. There was a nice place right on the river for $1850. I even saw a summer sublet in downtown Aspen for $850, which is an amazing deal. I lived there 18 years ago and studios were $1500+ then. Personally I'd rather be in town just because you can walk to everything but either one would be good choice. And I know exactly what you mean about Boulder. Believe me Aspen is NOTHING like Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado