Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Coming in late to the discussion, but can't resist making a few comments. The BLM has ot to be one of the more under financed federal agencies in the state of Colorado. They simply don't have the personnel to adequately patrol BLM holdings - especially in the more remote parts of Colorado. I spent an entire summer camped out on BLM land just off state highway 145 about 30 miles from the metropolis of Norwood, CO. Never did a BLM agent come to check on me or remind me that I had overstayed my "14 day welcome." Of course, I was pretty low profile and didn't attempt to build any structures.
I've heard that about the BLM before via places like the internet, but then the people I know in person that have done that get tickets left on their tent after 14 days, so someone is out there watching.

I just don't believe that you can build a cabin anywhere in Colorado which will remain undisturbed by local government and trespassers.

One of my relatives(now deceased), used to be a true mountain man, lived off the land in some ways or found ways of existing and I know he did not go unnoticed by local government or enforcement. He lived in a 100 year old+ mining shack on a wealthy persons land and was essentially the caretaker as the wealthy guy wasn't around much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
I think a lot depends on how close to civilization you are and how close the land is to places that are recreational mecca's. I was very surprised that no one in authority seemed to give a rat's *** about my continued presence on government land. I even let the authorities know in writing where I was because I was homeless at the time and trying to get into section 8 housing before the snow flew.

This was in western Montrose County, and in my observation, law enforcement in general seemed to ignore the area. The Norwood/Nucla/Naturita region is a good 2 - 3 hours drive (depending on weather) through the mountains from the county seat of Montrose. Population is sparse and fairly poverty stricken. No one seems to care about the western part of the county, and that's really too bad.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:33 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I think a lot depends on how close to civilization you are and how close the land is to places that are recreational mecca's. I was very surprised that no one in authority seemed to give a rat's *** about my continued presence on government land. I even let the authorities know in writing where I was because I was homeless at the time and trying to get into section 8 housing before the snow flew.

This was in western Montrose County, and in my observation, law enforcement in general seemed to ignore the area. The Norwood/Nucla/Naturita region is a good 2 - 3 hours drive (depending on weather) through the mountains from the county seat of Montrose. Population is sparse and fairly poverty stricken. No one seems to care about the western part of the county, and that's really too bad.
I'm sure for every person you could find that would say don't worry about it, build whatever you want, camp endlessly on government land, etc, you can find someone else that has run into an assortment of problems with it.

A good analogy is foreign cars that were never sold in the USA. To pass EPA and DOT standards, if the model is not sold in the USA or goes through an expensive certification process, then you have to wait until it's 25 years old to bring it in. However that hasn't stopped people from sneaking in Nissan Skylines and Lancia Integrales and getting them titled in states like Florida. If the feds catch you though, you get your car crushed and other bad things happen.

So for a "cabin in the woods", same applies, you can either go by the rules or not. And if you don't and there are consequences, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado