Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm only going to comment on the Utah portion of your trip. Trust me, you couldn't possibly do justice to all three of the places you are considering visiting on day five in just one day. If I were you, I'd stick strictly to Arches for that day. There is way more than enough to keep you busy there for a single day, so you're going to have to pick and choose anyway. Don't compound the problem by trying to fit in more than you can possibly enjoy. While in Arches, hike to Delicate Arch and the Fiery Furnace (you need advance reservations for this very popular ranger-led hike). In the evening, get one of the local (Moab) companies drive you up over Hell's Revenge in a Hummer. You'll thoroughly enjoy the day I've outlined. Otherwise, you'll just end up frustrated and exhausted.

Arches and Canyonlands can both be seen in one day, I've done it without feeling rushed. They're not far from eachother.

Last edited by 80skeys; 08-08-2011 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
80skeys wrote:
Arches and Canyonlands can both be seen in one day,
True, but only at the most superficial level. I've been to Arches on numerous occassions, and I've hiked quite a few trails, yet my impression is that I've barely scratched the surface in getting to know the richness that Arches has to offer.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
80skeys wrote:
Arches and Canyonlands can both be seen in one day,
True, but only at the most superficial level. I've been to Arches on numerous occassions, and I've hiked quite a few trails, yet my impression is that I've barely scratched the surface in getting to know the richness that Arches has to offer.

Yes I agree. I should elaborate that they are both do-able as a "driving" tour, but if you want to get out and hike around and stuff, then probably not.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:47 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Ambitious road trips

The first week in September is a fine time to visit Colorado, but early for fall colors: the only indications of note you are likely to see will be at the highest elevations.

As far as tourist related businesses are concerned, very few close directly after Labor Day. In accounting for Mother Nature, passes such as Trail Ridge Road more usually remain open throughout September.

If anything, your road trip would be better timed later in the month of September.

As others have mentioned, it is fine if you wish to spend most of your time driving. BUT, your schedule could be better organized. Some suggestions, in order of the days and activities you listed:

Day 1 --> Late Night arrival in Denver, stay overnight near Estes Park.

If arriving late night in Denver, there is no point making the two plus hour drive to Estes Park. It can be a really lovely drive there, which can be far better appreciated with some daylight. Besides which, lodging in Estes Park is more usually so-so, but in short supply and expensive, even in September. You can get a lot nicer hotel room for the same or less money somewhere along US 36 or even Boulder.

There are a number of good scenic options in reaching Estes Park, with that from Loveland via US 34 offering great scenery throughout the canyon. Probably the most direct would be I-25 to US 66 through Lyons to Estes Park on US 36. It is okay for scenery, but hardly the best, only advisable if you insist on making Estes Park at night. If during the day, you would be doing yourself a favor to fork at Lyons up the St. Vrain River canyon towards Allenspark. One really nice drive, if opting for US 36 towards Boulder, would be to take Boulder Canyon from there to Nederland, then hang a right north from there towards Allenspark and Estes Park. A great drive all the way. With, super fall colors you by and large will not see in early September. But there is also another good reason to head this way as well.

Day 2 --> RMNP, Trail Ridge, Longs PEak, Cottonwood Pass Scenic Drive. Stay overnight at the same place near Estes Park

There is the question of that intended in including Longs Peak? You can certainly get a good view of it from the front range, as well as more up close and personal in the vicinity of Estes Park. In fact, it is one of the mountain peaks dominating the skyline there. IF driving north on CO 7 from Allenspark, you'll have a good view of it in many places. You'll also pass directly by the turnoff from the road which leads to its popular trailhead, that reached as well from Estes Park if coming from that direction. BUT, as I recall, the trailhead does not afford much if any view of the greater mountain, with many other locals better in that respect. No point in being there unless you plan on climbing this 14,259 foot peak. That would best be accomplished by leaving the trailhead with flashlights about four or five in the morning, then after many strenuous hours finally making it back to the trailhead mid-afternoon thoroughly exhausted.

But you could still make Trail Ridge Road, if in the mood. That is an iconic and spectacular drive across Rocky Mountain National Park, and the highest continuous road in the United States (highest elevation: 12,183 feet). It is also one with a maximum speed limit of 35mph most of its length, and possibly slower than that due all the tourists.

It is a bit of a drive from the far side of this pass, at Grand Lake, on to Cottonwood Pass (12,126 feet). To put it mildly. In fact, since thinking of visiting Breckenridge, you would probably be better off doing it on the long drive to Buena Vista.

Estes Park may be a tourist town, but its setting and that of adjacent RMNP could easily occupy one for a day and longer in all the beautiful sights to see. So that might be considered. Put another way, once on the far side of Cottonwood Pass, and very near Gunnison and Crested Butte, even the road warrior may question whether they want to retrace their steps all the way back to Estes Park for the night. All the more as, quite possibly, night may already be descending on you near Gunnison.

Day 3 --> Leave early morning for Mt. Evans, Summit Lake. Also see Mt. Elbert, Independence Pass and then leave for Aspen. Overnight stay around Aspen

If you've somehow arranged to spend the night in Estes Park the previous night, then reaching Mt. Evans should prove relatively easy. To reach Idaho Springs one could loop down through Boulder and Golden to drive up through Clear Creek Canyon. Another lovely route, and no faster, would be south on CO 7 past Allenspark, then on south to Black Hawk, jogging up through Central City to their new expressway to I-70.

Keep in mind that the top five miles of the Mt. Evans road will close before dawn on Tuesday, September 6 for the season. But presumably you could visit Mt. Evans and Summit Lake, and still make Independence Pass into Aspen.

However, if starting that day in either Gunnison or Crested Butte, on the far side of Cottonwood Pass, good luck. At minimum, you will be driving in circles. It might be noted that, if in lovely Crested Butte, that a good summer option would be to continue on north towards Aspen via the good dirt road of Kebler Pass (elevation: 10,007 feet). This will at last afford one the paved CO 133, thence another easy pass to drop down to Redstone, thence along the Crystal River to Carbondale. Admittedly it is then something of a dog-leg to turn back towards Aspen at that point, if a lovely drive all the way, but for most preferable to the more as-the-crow-flies route into Aspen from Crested Butte. Kebler Pass is a showcase of aspen beauty, but their autumn loveliness on display later in the fall.

Depending on where one actually begins the day, Independence Pass (elevation: 12,095 feet) may prove the logical route or not. But if at all possible it should not be missed. An absolutely fantastic drive. If approaching it via Summit County, then the historic town of Leadville could hold some interest, but as with much else may have to dispensed with in a picture or two due time constraints. Same with Twin Lakes, at the eastern base of the pass, although a nice enough place to idly spend some time walking about.

Aspen will make a fine stop for the night, and all the more enjoyable if one can forget they are on any sort of budget. More affordable lodging can be had downriver towards Glenwood Springs. But how often is one in Aspen?

Day 4 --> See Aspen, Maroon Bells and then leave for Arches NP. On the way see Ghost Town of Cisco, UT. Stay overnight around Arches NP

The Maroon Bells afford a lovely picture. Access to them begins near Aspen, but getting there in a timely fashion in season may pose more of a problem. It is a relatively short drive from Aspen, but a popular destination, which may see, even in September, the requirement that all visitors take public shuttle buses to the location.

Advantages of visiting Cisco, UT are that it isn't that far off I-70, or that much of a detour. As far as ghost towns go, one can do far better in Colorado. The San Juan mountains of southwest Colorado are overrun with picturesque examples.

Moab and Arches National Park are a reasonable drive from Aspen. If not stranded at the Maroon Bells, there should be enough day left to do some exploring.

Day 5 --> See Arches NP, Dead Horse Point SP and Canyonlands NP (I could avoid this though). Leave for Colorado Springs and on the way "touch" Vail and Breckenridge. Overnight stay somewhere near Pikes Peak

Hopefully you've satisfied yourself with Arches NP the day before. The good news with Dead Horse State Park is that it isn't that much of a detour off UT 313 on the way to Canyonlands National Park. Presumably you'll be visiting the northern section of this Park, the 'Islands In The Sky' region, as 'The Needles' in the southern portion of the Park would be something of a stretch from Moab, with each approached from entirely different directions.

The southern portion of Canyonlands could make more sense if one was planning on the more direct route of US 50 back east towards Colorado Springs. Although doing so will pretty much preclude 'touching' either Vail or Breckenridge. Either way, even aside from the day's sightseeing, it is going to be a long drive to Colorado Springs. I-70 is a good, quick, and often scenic route, but in reaching Frisco, and contemplation of all the way yet to go before reaching I-25 south, the few miles of detour to Breckenridge may lose some of its luster. US 50 may seem no faster, but is in a sense more direct.

Day 6 --> Pikes Peak, Garden of Gods, Seven Falls and Manitou Springs. Catch late night Flight back from Denver

If not entirely worn out by now, Day 6 may prove a little more feasible. Whether driving, or via the cog railway, figure a minimum of three hours roundtrip to visit Pikes Peak. Seven Falls is a bit of a drive out of town, but the delights of Garden of the Gods are easily accessed from within Colorado Springs. If seemingly a world apart from its far larger sibling, Manitou Springs is a delight, and verily just to the west of all that city. Good thing it is a late flight out of DIA, because it may take a good two hours from Colorado Springs to get there. Something that will help speed things up would be diverting to the pay tollway of E-470 towards DIA, from I-25 at the far south end of Denver. If doing so, expect to receive a bill in the mail later for such use.

Since doing all this driving you may wish to consider a vehicle which gets a modicum of gas mileage. Most anything will do, with even a small car working fine, but if underpowered then panting up some of the passes. Speaking of money, if without one the adept traveler might consider picking up an Annual Park Pass, since envisioning visiting a number of national parks. One can be obtained at the entrance station of any national park for $80. Which can be contrasted against the $20 per vehicle (good for 7 days) standard entrance fee just to Rocky Mountain National Park.

September is a lovely month in the Rockies, even if much of the scenery glimpsed at speed, with elsewhere to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado