Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 27,882 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are flying into Denver soon to take a look around. We are in the process of picking between Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, or Washington. We will make Denver our base camp. We plan on going up as far as Cheyenne Wy and then as south as Colorado Springs. Can you tell me absolute cities to visit and ones to just stay away from. I realize there are a lot of cities so just a few suggestions would be great. We want some green (presently live in the desert) Snow is ok just not so much were snowed in all winter. Rain is ok. Especially want low crime areas. Areas where we can buy an acre that wouldn't completely brake the bank but where you can reach shopping under 30 minutes. We need to stay under $350,000. We have a young child so schools are important as well. We only have 4 days so we are not bringing our child so we can just drive and look around the whole time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 PM

320 posts, read 1,733,517 times
you'll get a thousand differnet answers. We are in a similar situation financially and with kids. We are going out Sept.15-20. Parker is having an Oktoberfest and Taste of Parker, seemed like a good time to check it out. Plus my favorite soccer team is playing in Colorado as well.

We are looking at Parker, Castle Rock primarily. In parker the Pinery seems be a great area.

good Luck

Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 PM

423 posts, read 1,960,061 times
Anywhere along the I25 corridor would be good for you as far as being able to get around in the winter time. It is along the foothills so you are not up to your eyeballs in snow all winter long. Check out Fort Collins. If you take the Harmony exit and just keep going west up into the mountains you will be able to see horsetooth reservoir and a lot of the city along the way. It will give you a good idea what Fort Collins is like. Also go through Loveland on Hwy 34 and keep going west and that will take you to Estes Park which is a tourist site. There are many small towns in the area like Wellington, Severance, and Timnath that would be great places for schools and to raise a family. They are all within driving distance to shopping and anything else you might need. Enjoy your four day trip.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 PM

Thanks, I will check out all the areas you both mentioned.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by over40mom View Post
My husband and I are flying into Denver soon to take a look around. We are in the process of picking between Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, or Washington. We will make Denver our base camp. We plan on going up as far as Cheyenne Wy and then as south as Colorado Springs. Can you tell me absolute cities to visit and ones to just stay away from. I realize there are a lot of cities so just a few suggestions would be great. We want some green (presently live in the desert) Snow is ok just not so much were snowed in all winter. Rain is ok. Especially want low crime areas. Areas where we can buy an acre that wouldn't completely brake the bank but where you can reach shopping under 30 minutes. We need to stay under $350,000. We have a young child so schools are important as well. We only have 4 days so we are not bringing our child so we can just drive and look around the whole time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Where do you expect to work?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 PM

My dh and I are photographers so we want to open a portrait studio. I am also a nurse so can supplement until things get going. My dh is retired from the printing industry.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 PM

46 posts, read 211,013 times
Default yeah

Don't waste your time going to cheyene, unless you like methamphetamines, wind and ****ty weather. If its "green" scenery you want, look about 500 miles east of all the places you mentioned.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:35 AM

151 posts, read 714,583 times
It seems to me that a sucessful portrait studio with a set business location would require a fairly large population with lots of families. I've got a very talented friend here in Boulder who just barely makes it with kids and family portraits, and weddings. I suppose you've already checked out the competition in the more likely areas. Hopefully you've found a location that currently lacks what you can provide and has a big enough family-oriented population to want your product. It does occur to me that a place with nearby knock-your-socks-off scenery to provide a beautiful, natural and local backdrop to formal photos might help too -- but I'm sure that's occured to you two too.

Maybe a traveling studio would allow you to travel out onto the plains and up into the mountains where such a service isn't available -- advertise ahead of time, show up with a professional looking vehicle, stay long enough for people to see that you are for real and then make appointments. Lots of interesting faces and characters out there, both on the eastern plains and in the small mountain towns -- you could make some interesting contacts at the National Western Stock Show in Denver in January. And you might take some dramatic Big Sky weather pictures that could have commercial value.

Just thinking about all your possibilities has rekindled my appreciation for the often stark and dramatic beauty of this state. And people are interesting everywhere. Best of luck to you both.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 AM

835 posts, read 2,856,787 times
over40mom do not be shocked when upon your arrival into denver if its treeless and brown, thats ok the mtns are a little further west i know the flatness of Eastern Colorado schoked me

Old 08-26-2007, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
You will not see much green anywhere at present. It has been a hot dry summer. Spring and early summer are greener. Montana has a reputation of disliking transplants even more than Colorado. You will be hard put to buy an acre of land in an area where you can make a living as a portrait photographer. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to be realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado