Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 12,756 times

Advertisements

Would need 1-2 bdrm...in town, for one person and small dog. Also need pt work as soc sec only goes so far... Also wondering how intense winters are. How do they compare to Santa Fe, NM? I realize I should visit before actual move. Closest I have been is Crestone, which I liked in summer but felt it would be too small/isolated in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 04:50 PM

The Mountain Mail link was very informative. Thank you Littlekw!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 AM

481 posts, read 1,301,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude2 View Post
Also wondering how intense winters are. How do they compare to Santa Fe, NM? I realize I should visit before actual move. Closest I have been is Crestone, which I liked in summer but felt it would be too small/isolated in winter.
You know, the climate between between Santa Fe and Salida isn't a bad comparison. They're both pretty similar in the fact they're both unpredictable. The towns aren't that far apart, by western standards, and within a few hundred feet of elevation to each other. Are you familiar with Santa Fe weather? You know it can change in a few minutes and be completely unpredictable? Then you have Salida. Anyone remember the massive snowstorm that hit Salida in the early aughts (I think it was '03) that dumped 50+ inches of snow on the town and collapsed the roof of the hot springs pool in town? Oh yeah, in late May. Santa Fe sees those storms too.

But it's Colorado. It's a hard place to nail down any standard of climatic standard so just hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Salida could see it's first hard freeze and snow in early September or not until late October. The last snow may be in mid March or mid June. It's not a predictable thing, which makes living in a place like that beautiful.

Crestone is neat, but a weird entity of its own. Take the trip over Poncha Pass and experience Sailda before you decide to move there. It's an amazing little town that is easy to fall on love with but not easy to live in.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:44 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Does the previous poster want to say why Salida is not easy to live in, if there's any specifics that haven't already been discussed?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:37 AM

74 posts, read 112,874 times
Greetings from Salida (CO), OP!

I just want to add a short blip to this discussion and suggest looking at Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center: Welcome to HRRMC in Salida, Colorado.

You never know what might turn up under the heading of "Careers".

Best to ya and your significant other!

Old 09-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
Take the trip over Poncha Pass and experience Sailda before you decide to move there. It's an amazing little town that is easy to fall on love with but not easy to live in.
Do you have to go over Poncha Pass to get to Salida if coming in from south or east? What about switchbacks? Also, why do you say Salida is "not easy to live in"? The climate and demographics of town sound like the kind of place I'm looking for.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:53 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Coming into Salida from the south, you do have to go over Poncha Pass. As passes go, it is one of the easiest, so don't worry about switchbacks, steepness, etc. Coming into Salida from the east, there are no passes. Once you leave Canon City the roads narrows and follows the river canyon so it is winding, but again pretty easy driving.

I wonder if "not easy to live in" means that jobs are hard to find? I spend my summers in Buena Vista, about 25 miles to the north, and I've always been impressed with Salida when I visit. People there have always been very nice.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 PM

481 posts, read 1,301,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude2 View Post
Also, why do you say Salida is "not easy to live in"? The climate and demographics of town sound like the kind of place I'm looking for.
I apologize, "not easy to live in" was vague. I mean it in terms of the fact Salida is a seasonal tourist town in which wages do not reflect the high cost of housing and goods. It's fairly rural and I have a couple of college friends who live there and love it but work two jobs to make ends meet and make regular runs to Pueblo and Colorado Springs for things they can't get at Safeway or Walmart in Salida. If it's a place that looks inviting to you, absolutely take a look at it. I know I still peruse the Mountain Mail classifieds and daydream about a move to Salida. For me it just doesn't make financial sense.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,273 times
I think there are about 5 Cannabis stores there right on Hwy 50....One store I noticed had a "toke tent" set up along side the store building......Also alot of Liquor stores there too....Seems the people of Salida do alot of "self medicating"........I guess it's and easy place to live if you can afford it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado