Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Distressing as the situation appears in Colorado, the prediction of continued drought in a good chunk of the US's prime agricultural region of the Midwest portends serious potential trouble on food supplies and prices. I don't believe that people yet realize the seriousness of the drought situation and how it is going to impact them. With some 46 million of the US population now on food stamps (15% of the population), just imagine the impacts if the food supplies just aren't enough for everybody to eat.
Well, a few million people die elsewhere in the globe as food prices rise and the developed nations that can afford to import food to compensate for domestic shortages do so. The global shortfall leads to decreased stability in the more fragile areas of the world that are deprived of subsidized foods and an outbreak or escalation of low-intensity conflicts.

If the drought persists, the US, seeking domestic food security, invades Canada and quickly secures it. A sophisticated insurgency breaks out requiring a massive security presence to attempt to quell. The US institutes a draft, but in a break from depriving the nation of productive working-age males, places priority on the Baby Boomers as they are rapidly approaching the end of their economic productivity but are still capable of basic functions. Jazzlover finds himself in Saskatoon vehicle checkpoint manning a crew-served weapon and wondering how he didn't foreshadow this development on City-Data. Then the shaped charge goes off.....

Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM

26,215 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Anyone who writes any more apocalyptic BS is going to be infracted for hijacking the thread.

Speak to the winter in COLO.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:48 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
jazzlover wrote: it may take such a b****-slap of a disaster to actually wake people up to reality.

Again...maybe or maybe not. Let's bring on a new reality. Our thoughts and expectations DO matter! You yourself said something to this effect...One sign of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different outcome. So take that line of thought a bit deeper....Another form of insanity is to keep thinking the same old thoughts over and over again while expecting a different outcome. As a friend, I ask you to let go of your old, worn out disaster thinking. It's old stuff. We're all aware of those possibilities. I think you'll be much happier if train your mind to focus in a more positive direction. Think Rain! Think Snow! Think rushing rivers! Think green!

Old 12-20-2012, 02:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Speaking of winter the forecast now calls for a white Christmas for Colorado!

This is the forecast for Pueblo from my I Phone:

My question was: It is going to snow in Pueblo on Tuesday?

I would sure like to see a Christmas Blizzard!

Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Christmas Day is the one day out of the entire year that I would really ENJOY a blizzard. On the other 365 days of 2012, driving to the snow to play in it, then driving home to a snow free environment has been my preference. Though I gotta say that I felt an excitement the other day, that I felt when I was a kid in school, hoping for enough snow to cancel classes the next day. I even had fun shovelling the driveway. It seems that not having to drive to work on snowy roads is changing my attitude toward snow. Bring on the Christmas day snowfall/blizzard!

Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Public information statement
national weather service grand junction co
237 pm mst wed dec 19 2012

...record low temperatures set this morning...

In western colorado,

at 4 miles southwest of craig, the low temperature this morning
dropped to 13 degrees below zero. This sets a new record low for
december 20, breaking the old record of 12 below zero, set in 1990.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Hey Jim...I bet you're glad now that you live in the banana belt of Delta! Officially, just 1/2 inch of snow when other nearby locations got significantly more. Even Grand Junction had about 4 to 5 inches. The weather guys are expecting temps of slightly below zero tonite in this neck of the woods. It's been happening every December during the 7 winters I've lived here.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
I've been out of town for the last few days and much to my surprise 6 inches of snow is sitting in my driveway. This is a much needed storm in more ways than one could ever know, but I'll just touch on one point. Mesa County only averages a tad under 8 inches of precipitation a year. Up until this storm we only had 3.7 inches for the year (at last count) But we're not out of the woods at all. Now, if we got three more storms like this until next April, and then follow that with another two years of several major storms in the season, we'd still be short of where we need to be here.

But I'm not complaining, not at all. Keep in mind though, we'll need more.

Thought I'd add something here and Josseppie's post (#164) reminded me. It appears the front range is ok on temps. The Grand Valley's night time temperatures on the other hand are nosediving from 5 above in the valleys to 10 to 15 below on the Grand Mesa. Looks to stay that way for the weekend anyway.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-20-2012 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hey Jim...I bet you're glad now that you live in the banana belt of Delta! Officially, just 1/2 inch of snow when other nearby locations got significantly more. Even Grand Junction had about 4 to 5 inches. The weather guys are expecting temps of slightly below zero tonite in this neck of the woods. It's been happening every December during the 7 winters I've lived here.
Um, no. I'll take the San Juans any day over the 100 plus degree summers and swarms of mosquitoes. Can't wait to move back to Ridgway.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM

High pressure will bring dry weather through Saturday. Temperatures will gradually moderate with the warming first noticed at the higher elevations as inversions help hold the cold air in the valleys. A large storm system off the Pacific Northwest coast today will move inland this weekend and bring a chance of snow to eastern Utah and western Colorado late Sunday through Christmas Day.

Sunshine and zero this morning. At noon it's 20 degrees, bright sunshine still snow on the ground. Very nice day today. Just got back from a few mile walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado